Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Hunters getting mana back?

I've heard from blizz that hunters/rogues will be getting some changes among specs to make them different but without revamping them. This sounds like a good time to add back mana instead of focus for one out of the three specs we have probably marksmanship.

This will obviously be a good thing for hunters hopefully they will balance them back and make them more enjoyable because right now it takes little to no skill to play compared to other classes such as a feral druid and still be at the top of the dps charts.

The problem with focus is it didn't address the biggest issue they had with was resource management If they made steady shot to regain perhaps 1% mana regain per shot we would have been fine. In fact it made it worse and they didn't do anything to it which made them low on the dps charts and what they did to "fix" them is boost the dmg of their shots which is more of a band-aid fix than anything now were extremely way up the top hitting almost around 400k dps. That's not balance. And then they added all of this other stuff which we didn't need: shoot on the move, stealth, bl, brez, which had little effect on pve. Hunters were the most balanced in pve, during Wrath and it did take more skill to play just to even 3rd in dps charts. We were mostly around the middle, and yes the there was more to it than "switching to viper to back" anyone that played a hunter back then would know lol. I was always at the top and knew how to efficient with my resource management which takes skill too without having to sacrifice any dps.

Thoughts?

They won't be getting mana back. How do people even come up with this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    They won't be getting mana back. How do people even come up with this?
    Because it might be the only change that might actually bring subs back to the game that were hunters.

i hate focus and i miss mana.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Quote Originally Posted by hordeslayer View Post
    Because it might be the only change that might actually bring subs back to the game that were hunters.
    What? No. Why would something so small and irrelevant cause people to quit all together/come back if it were changed back? I prefer mana and miss it, but this is nothing to cause a large amount of people to quit, and again not something big enough to bring a large amount of subs back into the game.

Oh boy, this reasoning again.

Hell no. Focus was the best thing to ever happen to hunters.

Not to mention, mana and focus has nothing to do with out dps. That's all in tuning the damage the abilities actually do.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hated mana. And it made no damn sense. And if someone was such a crybaby that they quit the game because of focus, good riddance.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I hated mana. And it made no damn sense. And if someone was such a crybaby that they quit the game because of focus, good riddance.
    Agreed. You'd be surprised over what some people quit over, though, but still I say good riddance to them!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokoa View Post
    small and irrelevant
    It's not small and irrelevant why do you think it was called a massive revamp?

15+ Year Old Account
    Focus is better than mana. I always like the idea of resource of my pet (back in those days when we had mana). And wondered "why dont I have focus aswell?)
    When they brought Focus to hunters - I was happy, and I dont think they'd get away it. It'd rather lose subs instead (somebody said "it'd bring subs, i dont think so - nostalgia factor aint so powerful ;D)
    step into everything will gief ya nothing, mon

When talking about getting subs back, it is small and irrelevant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by salate View Post
    Focus is better than mana. I always like the idea of resource of my pet (back in those days when we had mana). And wondered "why dont I have focus aswell?)
    When they brought Focus to hunters - I was happy, and I dont think they'd get away it. It'd rather lose subs instead (somebody said "it'd bring subs, i dont think so - nostalgia factor aint so powerful ;D)
    Might sound good on paper, but it's terrible in practice.

You are grossly overestimating the number of people that actually quit the game over something like the switch to focus, and even more grossly overestimating the number of that tiny subset of people who would actually return if that change was reverted, as well as grossly underestimating the number of people who would not be pleased with such a reversion.

There's a whole lot of gross things you're doing, basically, most of them just bad assumptions. I'm pretty sure you know that they're bad assumptions, too.

Deleted
    Seriously? The only way I see this coming back if they re-introduce old hunters as "Rangers" and keep hunters as they are.

Quote Originally Posted by FLstudioApprentice View Post
    Seriously? The only way I see this coming back if they re-introduce old hunters as "Rangers" and keep hunters as they are.
    What is 'old' hunter? The 2 button hunter? The one-button steady shot hunter? Hunters weren't exactly the most exciting class to play before many of the changes made to them during Cata and especially MoP.

That said, I do really wish they'd just make a petless ranger-type spec baseline and build the MM spec around such a concept. None of this petless talent crap - just make it baseline and MM's playstyle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    You are grossly overestimating the number of people that actually quit the game over something like the switch to focus, and even more grossly overestimating the number of that tiny subset of people who would actually return if that change was reverted, as well as grossly underestimating the number of people who would not be pleased with such a reversion.

There's a whole lot of gross things you're doing, basically, most of them just bad assumptions. I'm pretty sure you know that they're bad assumptions, too.
    Diablo real life AH when was implemented was tiny and irrelevant too and now they're removing it, I hear lots of people coming back now. What makes Wow any different?

Diablo real life AH was tiny and irrelevant too and now they're removing it, I hear lots of people coming back now. What makes Wow any different?
    That didn't even make sense.

Hunter rotation before Focus:

-Keep up Hunter's Mark and Dots (Serpent Sting, + Black Arrow for Survival)
    -Use high-priority signature shots on cooldown
    --Aimed Shot if you have it, since during WotLK it was an instant cast on a 10 sec cooldown
    -Use arcane shot (and multi-shot when that was a thing) when available and when the above are satisfied.
    -Fill with Steady Shot when nothing else is available
    -Use aspect of the viper to regain mana as needed

Hunter rotation after Focus:

-Keep up Hunter's Mark and Dots (Serpent Sting, plus Black Arrow for Survival0
    -Use High Priority Signature Shots on cooldown
    -Use Arcane Shot when available and when it won't conflict with or delay any of the above
    -Fill with Steady/Cobra Shot when nothing else is available

So.... instead of dancing around aspect of the viper, now we just make sure we have enough focus for our signatures when they come off cooldown. I'm sure that's a MASSIVE CHANGE that RUINED HUNTERS.

Also, they *just* said in tweets that we're not seeing new resources for hunters or rogues, and that we're not seeing a massive overhaul for those classes, just tweaks to help with spec differentiation. We're not going to see the return of mana.

Diablo real life AH was tiny and irrelevant too and now they're removing it, I hear lots of people coming back now. What makes Wow any different?
    RMAH was far from tiny and irrelevant. They had to balance the entire game around the fact that the AH existed.

Hunters aren't balanced specifically around focus. They're balanced around resource regeneration versus resource use. Whether that resource is mana or focus is irrelevant.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.