Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Why arent dangerous, crazy people in prisons?

http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/243495...ealth-facility

so yea im scratching my head on this one. He was charged with a double murder and all he gets is a time out in a place with padded walls? What shocks me is he drove off in a van at the loony bin. This is getting ridiculous. Why arent these psychos in prison where they belong? This guy murders 2 people and wraps them up for safe keeping and he gets nothing? And the security is apparently so lax that he can just drive off in a state van. If you are too liberal to send people to prison where they belong at least lock them up in a maximum security nut house where they cant escape.

He was considered incompetent so they sent him to the nut hut instead. Prison is supposed to be for normal types to be rehabilitated.
    From what I have heard the nut hut is worse than prison though, heard several people remark they would rather go to jail/prison than there.

Generally speaking you get a longer term in a mental health facility than you would in prison. And people escape from both from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/243495...ealth-facility

so yea im scratching my head on this one. He was charged with a double murder and all he gets is a time out in a place with padded walls? What shocks me is he drove off in a van at the loony bin. This is getting ridiculous. Why arent these psychos in prison where they belong? This guy murders 2 people and wraps them up for safe keeping and he gets nothing? And the security is apparently so lax that he can just drive off in a state van. If you are too liberal to send people to prison where they belong at least lock them up in a maximum security nut house where they cant escape.
    Yeah, when I think of namby-pamby liberals the first state to spring to mind is South Carolina.

...perhaps you should jerk that knee in another direction.
    The plural of anecdote is not "data". It's "Bayesian inference".

people like this are just a waste of space. there's no cure for psychos and sociopaths, they just need to be put down for the safety of everyone else.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    people like this are just a waste of space. there's no cure for psychos and sociopaths, they just need to be put down for the safety of everyone else.
    You're hilarious.

Medication and management of the conditions can mean they live normal fulfilling life's, as law abiding citizens.

Why kill someone due to something they cannot control?

Why stop there, let's kill people with down syndrome and mental retardation too actually; If we follow that train of thought.

10+ Year Old Account
    People's rights don't suddenly just go away because they are mentally incompetent (well, a lot of them anyways), as much as you'd like to see it otherwise. its a good thing to.

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    You're hilarious.

Medication and management of the conditions can mean they live normal fulfilling life's, as law abiding citizens.

Why stop there, let's kill people with down syndrome and mental retardation too actually; If we follow that train of thought.
    Spartans actually had a decent-ish society imo.

Heck if we all had to adhere to those standards without waging war, it'd be close to ideal.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    Mentally unstable prisoners prone to assualt other convicts if given the chance while hearing voices inside their heads?

Would be my guess as to why you put these people in special containment and not among regular prisoners.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    True, but as society evolved from throwing infants off cliffs...

But yeah, i liked how they also treated their women, in that era it was impressive... and y'kno rockhard abs

You're hilarious.

He is right about psychopaths though. They are created due to actual damage in the physical brain. So, they can not be treated or managed because we have not figued out how to generate brain cells. Sociopaths are bit different in that they simply don't feel empathy, or don't feel it like the normal person. You could manage that by being completely logical with sociopaths i.e. no lubby dubby stuff, appeal to their self interest. Psychopaths are like Joker, sociopaths would be self preserving dictators.

People with down syndrom and mental retardation are not danger to anyone, while the other two kinds are.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    People's rights don't suddenly just go away because they are mentally incompetent (well, a lot of them anyways), as much as you'd like to see it otherwise. its a good thing to.
    Why is that a good thing? They have the rights to trial, which are given. After that keeping them is just waste of everyone money, money that is better spent elsewhere.

You're hilarious.

I am actually okay with that though. We have too many people on the Earth as is. Time to clean house.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why is that a good thing? They have the rights to trial, which are given. After that keeping them is just waste of everyone money, money that is better spent elsewhere.

No, this is a better way. If we can treat mental patients that are messed up. The less likely there will be of these shootings. It's not a waste of money. You want to talk about wasting taxpayer money? I'd name a few but to some people it's too precious.

I am actually okay with that though. We have too many people on the Earth as is. Time to clean house.

That's fucking stupid and ignorant. We shouldn't just kill people like that. We should help them not "Lol fuck you person that I'm glad to not be."
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Up to 1 in 25 people is sociopath. Most human brains are hard-wired to mimic or simulate the experience of another being that they are observing. This is empathy. Sociopaths do not have this. Although, they can imagine it in an abstract way. Most do not commit violent crimes. They are often found in professions like banking, public relations, law and surgery. This makes them "better" at these careers. I am not joking.

http://www.npr.org/2013/06/19/193099...of-a-sociopath

The term "psycho" is outdated and misunderstood among most people. A "psychopath" may refer to a sociopath OR someone who just has a violent personality disorder. It is also often confused with the term "psychotic." Psychotic people see things that aren't there. They may react violently to these illusions, but they are not innately violent.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/001553.htm

- - - Updated - - -

PS: If you are truly comfortable with the idea of "putting down" another human, or mass organized killing, you may actually be a sociopath. Most people find killing to be very upsetting when they are faced with it in reality. Even the killing of animals, which is of course the main reason why factory farming is kept very much hidden from public view.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post

That's fucking stupid and ignorant. We shouldn't just kill people like that. We should help them not "Lol fuck you person that I'm glad to not be."
    Helping people causes more problems though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftmangle View Post
    No it doesn't. Helping people can have consequences and positive things. To not help people every single time because of the possible bad things that may happen is just stupid.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    He is right about psychopaths though. They are created due to actual damage in the physical brain. So, they can not be treated or managed because we have not figued out how to generate brain cells. Sociopaths are bit different in that they simply don't feel empathy, or don't feel it like the normal person. You could manage that by being completely logical with sociopaths i.e. no lubby dubby stuff, appeal to their self interest. Psychopaths are like Joker, sociopaths would be self preserving dictators.

People with down syndrom and mental retardation are not danger to anyone, while the other two kinds are.

- - - Updated - - -

Because people can be helped to be functional with meds. If they can be managed, why kill them?

Quote Originally Posted by Luftmangle View Post
    If they are to spend the rest of their life in the nuthouse and prison if they get well enough to go to prison, what is the use of helping them. At best they can understand why they have to serve life without parole?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    If they are to spend the rest of their life in the nuthouse and prison if they get well enough to go to prison, what is the use of helping them. At best they can understand why they have to serve life without parole?
    That's still not a good reason to say *Fuck them*. No JUST NO. If we're about to detect bad mental health it'll be much easier to prevent certain shootings. The money issue is a copout.

Warrior-Magi

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post

Heck if we all had to adhere to those standards without waging war, it'd be close to ideal.
    Nope. If you delude yourself into believing that Frank Miller knows anything about history, as opposed to being a dangerous, stark-raving-mad wingnut with a tenuous connection to reality, Sparta might look ok.

Frank Miller is not a historian. Frank Miller is a guy who writes propagandist graphic novels.

Here's reality. We know practically nothing about Sparta. They kept almost no written records. We have a few historic accounts written mostly by Athenians over a 400 year period. Then they all got conquered. What we do know is that Sparta, despite being the only "professional" military in classical Greece, got their asses kicked constantly. So the one thing they claimed to be good at, they weren't.

We also know that every Greek city state, including the "enlightened" ones, frequently left newborn infants out to die because they thought they'd be trouble to raise. We also know that many of the more dangerous mental illnesses (e.g. schizophrenia) may not even manifest 'til puberty, long after the "thrown to the wolves" period of 3 days after an infant's birth. We also know that, by puberty, Spartan youths would have been in military academies, Athenian youths would have been apprenticed to trades, both would be close to the legal rights of adults, and the age of mandatory conscription in most Greek city-states was also the age of puberty. Justice was also extremely inequal, even for homicides. So what you're really saying is "let's make our society one that takes homicidal psychopaths and gives them weapons and armor. Oh and if they use them on the wrong people then we kill them. Maybe. Or just fine them if they're from rich families."

Let me guess, you also want more armed security guards in schools.

Now, step back for a minute. Sparta, a model for modern civilization? The popular concept of Sparta might as well be a right-wing Atlantis, for how likely it is to have existed the way people like Frank Miller think. Do you really think a fictionalized account of a bunch of savage-tempered losers is a valid model for society?

If so, I can think of a perfect place for you.

It involves padded walls.
    The plural of anecdote is not "data". It's "Bayesian inference".