Rolling Lock or Mage

I have been playing a 90 Hunter for a month or two now, quite fun. I'd like to roll a class that does more sustainable damage and if possible have as much or more utility in PvP. I run Marksman as a hunter, and the damage is nice, but it doesn't drain someone as fast as I wish.

I know the lock pet which mesmerizes is extremely annoying as a hunter. Constant sleeps. I don't know what spec it is in, I'm guessing demon.

If I roll a mage I would choose Frost spec most likely.

I have played both a bit off and on and can't put my finger on which has quicker killing. It sounds like the Lock has more utility, but the mage does seem mobile with stealth and warping to different places.

Rumor on WoW Forums is that Locks are getting reworked with the new xpack coming out, but I did not research for myself.

What do you folks think, have an opinion?

Thanks.

Locks have a couple abilities that can teleport them and make them move faster. Demonic gateway is the 2-way portal which the warlock or their team mates can click to travel through. Demonic circle is a personal one-way teleport which can be activated from about 30 yds away. Burning rush is a level 60 talent which slowly drains health while increasing your move speed by 50% and prevents you from moving at under 100% base speed, but i wouldnt run that unless youre a human or have an anti-cc trinket. Engineers' nitro boost stacks with burning rush, and their glider is always handy.

The only warlock pet that is dependent on a spec is the felguard, which is demonology. The pet which puts people to sleep, the succubus/shivarra, is available to all specs. Their other pets are an imp with ranged attacks, a felhound/observer which eats magic effects, and a voidwalker/voidlord which can tank. The felguard/wrathguard is also able to tank. Your pet is upgraded by using a level 75 talent called Grimoire of Supremacy, abbreviated as GoSup.

I dont know anything about mages, so I'll let a mage fill you in on that.
    Last edited by TheCheeseLord; 2014-01-03 at 12:44 AM. Reason: spelling

I went from a mage to a warlock this xpac and I have a lot more fun on my warlock right now. It's just hard to say for sure with the xpac coming soon but both classes are usually good in pve and pvp.

Deleted
    Depends on what you're looking for. Mage is the safe bet (both PVP wise and PVE wise, since the game has been out they were never really bad, very often a top class) but the gameplay is quite straight forward and can become boring rapidly. Warlock gameplay is more evolved, but you can end up being utter trash as a class.

Heh, so far I read on WoW forums that Mage is safe because Blizz never nerfed them hard, or at least not for long. But who's to say that trend stays the same?

I heard Mages are basically 1-2 spells and hit the ones that flash. No skill involved? I imagine that is from people flaming mages who dislike them. I know they have quite a few spells and abilities so I disagree with the fact they are 'that' easy. Perhaps significantly less skill is needed than the Warlock?

I am coming from a Hunter, which I guess gets called an easy class...which I understand in PvE with pets, but PvP to do decent damage and actually survive I have to stay on top of the game.

If a lock were nerfed or re-worked, I figured if I was playing to the new xpack I could use the instant 90 on a mage if I was dissatisfied.

Any PvPers here that have played both at 90, or done a bunch of arenas as one or the other to give a stronger opinion?

Thanks so far for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by CTSNic View Post
    Heh, so far I read on WoW forums that Mage is safe because Blizz never nerfed them hard, or at least not for long. But who's to say that trend stays the same?

I heard Mages are basically 1-2 spells and hit the ones that flash. No skill involved? I imagine that is from people flaming mages who dislike them. I know they have quite a few spells and abilities so I disagree with the fact they are 'that' easy. Perhaps significantly less skill is needed than the Warlock?

I am coming from a Hunter, which I guess gets called an easy class...which I understand in PvE with pets, but PvP to do decent damage and actually survive I have to stay on top of the game.

If a lock were nerfed or re-worked, I figured if I was playing to the new xpack I could use the instant 90 on a mage if I was dissatisfied.

Any PvPers here that have played both at 90, or done a bunch of arenas as one or the other to give a stronger opinion?

Thanks so far for the info!
    I honestly believe it takes a lot of skill to play mage well. people who say mage needs 2 buttons to win simply are trolls or were killed by better skilled mage players.

as a mage you can easily escape combat, and do a lot of burst but cant take much damage.
    as a lock you will spend a lot of time tanking melee, but that is why locks have fantastic heals. also lock burst sometimes can be deadly as well

10+ Year Old Account
    Pick my class threads are not allowed so I'll close this but I'll be nice and give my opinion on this.

Your best bet is to level both to a certain level and see which one suits you better. Both classes are known as strong picks for PvP, however both classes play very differently. One class might be better, but if you don't like the class, you likely won't play it that well either.