Thread: Blizzard 2014

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kittycovox View Post
    This thread isnt what i thought it was :/
    Exactly my thought.

Barely got snow in Oklahoma. Problem is I work in Chicago. I was able to make it out on Friday, and I have to be back tomorrow for work. I wonder if I'm going to make it...
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Put the daily junk mail in the recycling bin and get your news from a worthwhile source. You're citing a tabloid.

The growth is basically a dead cat bounce. The 2.38 million km^2 growth is at the end of the graph, another "recovery!".

I don't mean to be rude and I understand dailymail may not have been the "best" source, but you are sourcing "skepticalscience.com". Washington times did a smiliar piece to the daily mail. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...high-saturday/

Chelly
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethh View Post
    I don't mean to be rude and I understand dailymail may not have been the "best" source, but you are sourcing "skepticalscience.com". Washington times did a smiliar piece to the daily mail. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...high-saturday/
    [IMG]http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/files/2013/09/S_bm_extent.png[IMG]
    Washingtonpost eh? The site that praised Skeptical Science?
    http://voices.washingtonpost.com/cap..._push_bac.html
    Entire websites have been created to counter skeptic arguments, the most prominent and detailed of which is Skepticalscience, which has even developed a neat iPhone App (the skeptics have one too
    And really:
    Skeptical Science has become a well-known resource for people seeking to understand or debate climate change, and has been praised for its straightforwardness.[15] Marine biologist Ove Hoegh-Guldberg has described it as "the most prominent knowledge-based website dealing with climate change in the world",[16] and The Washington Post has praised it as the "most prominent and detailed" website to counter arguments by global warming skeptics.[17] In September 2011, the site won the 2011 Eureka Prize from the Australian Museum in the category of Advancement of Climate Change Knowledge.[18]
    Cook is trained as a solar physicist and says he is motivated by his Christian beliefs.[19] He is one of a number of Christians publicly arguing for scientific findings on anthropogenic global warming, and is an evangelical Christian.[20]
    Skeptical Science is affiliated with no political, business, or charitable entity.[21] The site does not contain banner ads and is funded entirely by Cook himself, with reader donations.[1] All regular and guest authors contribute strictly voluntarily.
    Quite a lot more convincing than your average newspaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Nonon View Post
    Washingtonpost eh? The site that praised Skeptical Science?
    http://voices.washingtonpost.com/cap..._push_bac.html

And really:

Quite a lot more convincing than your average newspaper.
    I never heard of it sorry.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Bad news ppl = if you driving tonight or tomorrow?

BUFFALO, NY-- Due to the weather forecast, officials have closed parts of the NYS Thruway.

Governor Cuomo issued the order Monday afternoon.

The Thruway between Exit 55 (Route 219/Lackawanna/Springville/Orchard Park/West Seneca) and Exit 61 (Shortman Road, Ripley) will be closed to commercial vehicles.

All vehicles traveling westbound on the Thruway will be detoured off the roadway at Exit 50 (I-290 west), and all eastbound traffic will be detoured off at Exit 61 (Shortman Road, Ripley).

The NYS DOT has also closed Routes 219 and 400 due to the weather conditions.

"In anticipation of major snowfall and, at times, zero visibility, I have directed the Thruway Authority to close down parts of the Thruway in Western New York for safety concerns," said Governor Cuomo. "In addition, all New Yorkers in the area should exercise extreme caution if they have to leave their homes or travel anywhere. These precautions are done to ensure the safety of motorists, and I urge Western New Yorkers to monitor the weather and follow any instructions issued by emergency officials."

"As always, our top priority is motorist safety, and current conditions and forecasts warrant the Thruway's closure between the Buffalo area and the Pennsylvania state line later today. Thruway snow removal crews will be working throughout the storm and our goal is to reopen the roadway as soon as conditions allow," said Thruway Authority Executive Director Thomas J. Madison. "We are detouring motorists south from the Rochester area and west on I-86 because these roadway are expected to be less severely impacted by the storm, but we urge all drivers to use extreme caution at all times during the storm."

Officials are taking the precautionary measure due to an extraordinary winter weather event that is forecast to include 36 inches of snow from now until Wednesday, with lake effect snows in some areas up to four inches per hour, wind gusts up to 40 mph and wind chill temperatures as low as 40 degrees below zero. The Thruway in this area will be reopened when conditions allow.

Motorists to Pennsylvania and points west should exit the Thruway at exit 46 (Henrietta) to I-390 southbound and then to I-86 westbound into Pennsylvania. Eastbound travelers in Pennsylvania should exit at I-86 eastbound and then continue north on I-390 to the Thruway in Henrietta.

- - - Updated - - -

11.43pm is -1*

- - - Updated - - -

and for our PA !

http://www.511pa.com/

- - - Updated - - -

I going have my police/weather scanner turn on

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethh View Post
    You responded to a post on Arctic sea-ice decline with a picture of... Antarctica.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    You responded to a post on Arctic sea-ice decline with a picture of... Antarctica.
    Arctic, Antarctic ... close enough. (lol)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Deleted
    In the meanwhile, it's basically spring in Europe (13°C today in Belgium). Haven't had any snow yet this season.

drop a little snow and everybody starts losing their minds!!
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    drop a little snow and everybody starts losing their minds!!
    The whole world has gone Toronto.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    drop a little snow and everybody starts losing their driving skills!!
    FTFY.

Though I really have to find an empty parking lot after the first major snowfall of a winter and get back into practise before I can winterdrive properly.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Minus 50-60 degrees below freezing. How do you live, how do you live?

It's 40+ degrees outside here in Texas and damn I'm so cold. Minus 60? I'd die.

15+ Year Old Account
    Kinda blow major donkey ass when people die from cold.
    I hope people people stay safe.
    Where I live up in the "northern" Europe we have a mild winter.
    Not a single snowflake, kind of a bummer

(Gothenburg Sweden) https://maps.google.se/maps?q=gothen...ed=0CDAQ8gEwAA
    Last edited by Bakis; 2014-01-07 at 09:05 PM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Can't tell if the OP is being sarcastic or not, 4-6 inches is laughable and routine in any area that gets regular snow in the winter.

Yeah some areas even get like 8.5" on a regular basis and they're totally cool with it.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathiest View Post
    Minus 50-60 degrees below freezing. How do you live, how do you live?

It's 40+ degrees outside here in Texas and damn I'm so cold. Minus 60? I'd die.
    wouldnt 60 below freezing be -28F or are you mixing it up with C?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYIRISHGUY View Post
    Well is *official* this is the worst snow storm hit the NE

Here in Buffalo is a NIGHTMARE we must have about 4-6inch and we going to get more on friday
    ... it was as low as -65 F here (with wind chill) the last couple days. It snows up to 30 inches at a time here sometimes. 6 inches would not stop anyone from doing anything. If you're in Buffalo, you should know that; you get more snow than where I live.

Oh. I just noticed who the OP was.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    wouldnt 60 below freezing be -28F or are you mixing it up with C?
    Wind chill. It's a bitch. (Also, F and C are equal at -40, so there's no way anyone was mixing it up.)

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Meanwhile in AU, just came out of +50C temps in many places.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    ... it was as low as -65 F here (with wind chill) the last couple days. It snows up to 30 inches at a time here sometimes. 6 inches would not stop anyone from doing anything. If you're in Buffalo, you should know that; you get more snow than where I live.

Oh. I just noticed who the OP was.

- - - Updated - - -

Wind chill. It's a bitch. (Also, F and C are equal at -40, so there's no way anyone was mixing it up.)
    Talking about 40Degrees and saying its cold means the person is speaking about degrees Farenheit, then saying the temperature was 60 degrees below freezing means the temperature was 32 F- 60F = - 28 F saying that -60F is exactly equal to -28 F is absolutely wrong or the person mixed up C and F and used C's water freezing point as the point of reference instead of F's.