Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Would not a German villain use Sie as well? It emphasizes the distance between the villain and the victim anyhow, the impersonal nature of the coming villainous act
    A human Villain, certainly.
    Something like Ragnaros? Hardly. We're Insects to him, so why should he use a respectful tone?

Deleted
    Depends, some people you've played with for a long time and gotten close to, you naturally start calling by their real name. Especially those that you've met irl.

It just becomes more personal that way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Out of all the guilds i have been in, i have been called by my main characters name. Only a select few know my real name but i PREFER to be called 'Kiv' wether i am on my Mage Kivana or an alt. For me it is just better that way.

In my current guild we have 2 couples and i know all 4 RL names, but only use 3 as it just feels easier/more natural.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyS1X View Post
    I want to say Hitman, but I haven't played those games in years. I think his number was 47?
    I'll add you to my list then hehe

Well seems I am not alone in this and seems a lot of people think there is something wrong with players wanting to be spoken to using their ingame name.

While I did anticipate in some people not agreeing (you don't have to agree), I did not anticipate in (some) people being so awkward/angry about it.

Anyway thanks for all the responses.

Vael

I met my boyfriend through wow and i call him by his character name all the time, its weird for me to say his real name, he also prefers to be called by his nickname so that works really well!

When I first started raiding I didnt want people to call me by my name, but people always mispronounced it so a few guilds later i just let people call me by my name, which im now completely fine with.

I used to be in a guild where ppl would call each other by their rl name. They started out as a social guild with irl friends. When they started raiding they invited other ppl (including me) they were also called by their rl name. For some ppl in that guild it was actually more useful because they had multiple characters they raided with. There was even a facebook page. We had so much fun together. Most guilds only come together on vent to raid and log of from wow when the raid ends. We used to have long conversations on other times too. Before the raid and after, even if it was past midnight. I never had so much fun in a guild. To bad the guild fell apart during cata when some ppl quit or changed server

I'm in a guild which was started by 4 RL friends and myself and we all refer to each other by our game names, to the point that whenever one of us uses our real name we then immediately correct ourselves and call them by their game name. All guildies are called by their game name even though we have a FB page where everyone's real name is displayed.

Personally I hate it when people call me by my real name over TS. Really can't think why it bothers me but it definitely does.

One thing I've also noticed is that even if someone changes to an alt they still get referred to as the name of their main. Even in raid. Must confuse any pugs or people new to the guild but it always seems to be this way.

Deleted
    This is Wow, not Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    Well seems I am not alone in this and seems a lot of people think there is something wrong with players wanting to be spoken to using their ingame name.

While I did anticipate in some people not agreeing (you don't have to agree), I did not anticipate in (some) people being so awkward/angry about it.

Anyway thanks for all the responses.

Vael
    I don't see why people can't respect both. I once joined a random guild while levelling, and they asked me what my name was. I told them they could call me Tal (short version of my character's name) for now, which resulted in an instant kick. This is coming from someone who doesn't have a problem with my main guild using my real name.

Interesting thread. A poll would be useful too.
    And, tbh didnt think some are so passionate about using IRL names. Maybe its people who play with IRL friends only, dunno.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even if they know my first and last name, it's still to generic to find me with. I personally don't care, if people want to know, whatever. Even if they do use my real name to somehow track me down, what are they gonna do, kill me? Yeah, right.

knock on wood.

I don't even use my real name on my facebook, I'm that awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    The majority of my guild do know my real name but they still call me Ry regardless. I think it's easier to say. The only people who call me by my real name are actually people I know in real life, and I call them by their real names. It's just easier.

But if we're all talking in guild chat, we'll call each other by our toon names just to people don't get confused.

Deleted
    First name biases in my guild, but then we are quite a tight nit bunch some of us have been raiding together for over 9 years.

It is a bit hard for new comers though, especially in a raid, we don't have many though

It seems to vary widely, in my guild I know most (if not all) of the raiders real names. They all know my real life name. I call some people by character names and others by real names. Meanwhile, I have alts but my main absorbs easily 95-99% of my playtime. As a result, pretty much everyone knows me by my Warlock's name (Aethilus).

The people that I call by their real names tend to have a large number of very active alts, which others may or may not be aware of. In order to accurately distinguish their identity in mumble it becomes convenient to call them by their real name because it applies to all their alts (as well as their main) despite the widely varying alt names.
    You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me!

I have just the opposite "problem" (which it's not, at all). I have people who know me through WoW call me by my main's name "IRL", but I don't mind it at all and actually kinda sorta prefer it. My legal name is kinda boring.
    "It is a demonstration of incomprehensible hubris to quote one's self, especially in one's own forum signature."
    ¬PetersenIII

It doesn't annoy me, I just prefered not to have it used in game. Only my RL friends ever called me by my real name ingame but that was kind of understandable since they knew me quite well. I never protested against friends using my real name ingame because it felt silly to do so. I've never been asked what my real name was in a Guild, usually theres just a forum section to introduce yourself, but most of the time my mains name became my handle... and I much prefered it that way..

Deleted
    We were a very tightly knit guild pre cata. We didn't all call each other by our real life names but many sub groups did. We did a dozen real life meets so eventually some of us started using IRL names, also using IG names IRL .

Was sometimes awkward when we had new recruits because they wouldn't know who we were talking about so we tried to keep IRL names only during non important raiding conversations. So no people calling me by my IRL name doesn't bother me, I kind of enjoy it actually, shows the person speaking to/about me shows some form of interest in me, I was not just a slot in the roster.

I have the problem of everyone calling me by my oldest toon's name everywhere. It's so bad it's become awkward to even call other guildies out of wow by their given names over their toons. LOL *sigh*
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.