Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Penny Arcade's We're Right Awards (Their Top 9 Favorite Games of the Year)

Thought I should at least post these up and get y'all's thoughts on their choices:

The only thing I have to say is... jesus christ those god awful tumblr noses need to die. Otherwise, eh.

I really didn't enjoy Ni No Kuni all that much. Found it kinda dull and uninteresting, but I can understand how some people can get swept away by it.

Papers, Please! is an excellent game. Might be my #1 game this year.

Don't have a playstation of my own. Haven't played Last of Us yet. Plan to eventually.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    The only thing I have to say is... jesus christ those god awful tumblr noses need to die. Otherwise, eh.
    I really do hate that drawing style. But yeah not very interesting.

WHAT NO COD? BULLSHIT!

Nah, seriously... I'm sure it's a good list but I haven't played any of them except Luigi's Mansion because I'm too poor to buy a Wii U. Or games for that matter.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Zelda was way better then Luigi's Mansion in my opinion, but still a good game.

Haven't played any of those, although I just picked up "Papers, Please" on Steam and snagged a PS3 and "Last of Us" that I plan to play today.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never even heard of 6, 7, 8 or 9.
    I support a cash shop in WoW!

10+ Year Old Account
    Penny Arcade has been around long enough, and done enough, that what they say carries some weight with me. Still? Meh... I don't think I've touched any of those games and I have zero desire too. So... Congratulations on being right but, frankly, you could have been wrong and I wouldn't have cared either way.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Eh, they aren't really saying these are the best games of the year, just games that stood out. Part of these awards lineups they do is to poke fun at the notion of top ten lists. I see a lot of critics these days mocking the whole idea but either going ahead and doing it anyway because it's expected of them (ex: Penny-Arcade specifically states they did the "We're Right Awards" this year because there was so much demand for it) or going about it a different way (ex: Jim Sterling awarding 5 different games the title of "game of the year").

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh yeah, I've heard good stuff about Papers Please and hope it gets lots of traffic.

Still, its not a game that interests me.

I actually got Last of Us like a week ago from a sale, and just finished it yesterday. It's probably my GotY as well, but the gameplay is quite meh. Not bad or anything, but certainly nothing that I haven't seen in other games many, many times already. Plenty of sneak killing, not so sneaky murdering, and moving dumpters, ladders, etc. to climb over something.

However the story is just so fucking awesome. It's by far the best written AND acted I've ever seen in a video game, and it holds it's own really well even against AAA movies. Also the good part is that the story actually keeps getting better and better as you progress through the game. The final line in the game which is just "Okay" is absolutely perfect when you finally hear it in context.

Never played any of those games and likely won't.
    From what I've seen of Last of Us I don't really see the hype for it. The theme is over-done to hell and back.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly haven't heard of a lot of them. I do intend on playing a few of them like Ni no Kuni, Mario 3d world and Luigi's mansion. I don't intend on playing the Last of us because I am really sick of Zombies.
    "The Xbox one sucks and the PS4 isn't as Ready as my Body" - Reggie Fils-Aime

My Friend Code is 1864 - 9258 - 8679 PM me if you add me so I can add you back!

How do you fuck up drawing Rayman!? For a guy like Gabe/Jerry/Pig (or Mike), who has been drawing for years, it's really sad knowing a loser like Tom Preston can make a better Rayman. I guess one of their slaves interns who works 120 hours a week for little to no money made these pictures?

I can't take Penny Arcade seriously let alone respect these guys after the dumb shit they've done (man did these guys shoot themselves in the foot this year). Their new fiasco is pretty funny if you're aware of Lowtax and his mangosteen drama on the Something Awful forums.

Funny thing is Penny Arcade hasn't been funny since...Hell, 2004 or 2002 (their side stories are atrocious, and Mike/Bald writes 20 paragraphs over the dumbest shit).
    Last edited by Orkwuzhere; 2013-12-30 at 01:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orkwuzhere View Post
    How do you fuck up drawing Rayman!? For a guy like Gabe/Jerry/Pig (or Mike), who has been drawing for years, it's really sad knowing a loser like Tom Preston can make a better Rayman. I guess one of their slaves interns who works 120 hours a week for little to no money made these pictures.
    The drawings are obviously made to be somewhat comedic. He didn't fuck up drawing Rayman, he just chose to make him look goofy, he did the same with Mario and Luigi.

I'm not sure what your beef is, but it's a pretty silly thing to complain about.

Deleted
    These awful Casual-Consolegames /Facepalm

Quote Originally Posted by nuveem View Post
    These awful Casual-Consolegames /Facepalm
    Pretty sure Papers, Please is a computer game? And Monaco too for that matter?

Either way, I fully agree with number 3's reasoning at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Orkwuzhere View Post
    I can't take Penny Arcade seriously let alone respect these guys after the dumb shit they've done (man did these guys shoot themselves in the foot this year). Their new fiasco is pretty funny if you're aware of Lowtax and his mangosteen drama on the Something Awful forums.

Funny thing is Penny Arcade hasn't been funny since...Hell, 2004 or 2002 (their side stories are atrocious, and Mike/Bald writes 20 paragraphs over the dumbest shit).
    You know what the real funny thing is? Opinions are allowed to be different. I check Penny Arcade all the time because I personally find them funny. You can say they're not funny to you, but saying they're not funny in general would be wrong, because others do find them funny.

Also even if they do dumb things, I'm pretty sure they do a ton of fundraising and what not to make up for it.
    Like the time that one of them offended the transgendered on accident, and then he proceed to donate money to a fund afterwards as an "I'm sorry"...I remember people still ripping them after that saying "He should of donated to x charity instead"
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2013-12-30 at 08:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Never played any of those games and likely won't.
    From what I've seen of Last of Us I don't really see the hype for it. The theme is over-done to hell and back.
    From what I recall it had something to do with the storytelling and acting being top notch. Still, the game held zero appeal for me so I never bothered picking it up.

Nope, shitty art is shitty art from a cartoonist's perspective (there are so many things with Pig's art). Jerry/Pig's art used to be so much better than this (what is it with him and buckteeth?). You want to see a good comic strip based off video games? Look at art from Awkward Zombie, Fanboys, or old Eegrah strips where the art and writing aren't shit like Penny Arcade. There's a difference between good art and shit art.

And it's not fact knowing:
    -Pig and Bald fuck over their interns who were stupid enough to work with them. They expect some sucker to work a ridiculous workshift (70-90 hours a week), doing so many tasks for little or no money. Professionals in the business (i.e. not a 16-21 year-old kid) ripped on Pig and Bald for their shady job listings.
    -Pig and Bald recently shut down their forums when people argued with them or the mods. That's not professional.
    -Despite the idea behind the cause, Child's Play is pretty dumb cause because it's a lot better to help a sick get medicine or better treatment than a fucking video game.
    -JerryPig is a douche bag who keeps shooting himself in the foot with his comments (i.e. Dickwolf drama).
    -They spazzed over some hacks who made a comic about movies because the art looks somewhat similar to their shitty comics (this was years ago).

Sorry fanboys, you're wrong on this one. Pig/Jerry and Bald/Mike are douche bags.