Thread: Fan question...

Fan question...

Is there any reason not to run your fans on "performance" mode (IE, higher RPM) besides the noise? I can deal with the noise if it keeps my CPU/GPU cooler during gaming. My computer is rarely on for any other reason. The only reason it might otherwise be on is for video editing...and, well, that needs even more cooling.

I mean, it doesn't add to the CPU load, does it? IIRC, my CPU fan is directly getting power from the PSU, and has one USB 2.0 header plugged into the mobo. The fans on my GPU are built into the card, so it's technically plugged into the mobo, but of course the GPU is also plugged into the PSU.

(for reference I have an H80i which I'm using Corsair Link to boost my fans up to performance).

10+ Year Old Account
    If it's spinning full speed all the time, even when not needed, it'll wear the fans out faster and create more dust being put into the system. Basically its just unnecessary wear.

I Guess the question is... Is there any reason not to have it automatically managed for when the system needs it?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Did I misread or did you say your CPU fan has USB cable connected to mobo?
    Not sure I've ever seen that O.O
    And if your fans are only capable of X rpm, no program will increase that further.
    Like @chazus said, the system will automatically adjust the fan speed, even if you are gaming the fans might not need to spin the fastest.
    PM me weird stuff :3

The Corsair hydro series have a USB link so you can control/adjust fans via a program they write, in your OS.

I'll keep it automatic, I guess, and just remember to turn it up for 25 man raids/intensive gaming. It didn't seem to be turning it up automatically before I set it to performance before.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I'll keep it automatic, I guess, and just remember to turn it up for 25 man raids/intensive gaming. It didn't seem to be turning it up automatically before I set it to performance before.
    It should turn it up, the temperature for WHEN it is done differs from setting to setting. So for example setting it to Extreme from Normal would kick in higher spins at lower temperatures.
    And yea I figure water cooling would use some sort of USB connection
    Not sure why, though, as modern fans can have speed adjusted through normal connectors.

I DON'T SUGGEST THIS, but perhaps your program through USB was interfering with system control and unplugging from USB would fix this issue.
    PM me weird stuff :3

If the fans are connected to the pump then the fan control (at auto) is based on the water temp not cpu. Also there's just no point bringing the temps from 75° to 60° down.
    3930K@NH-U12s | Asus R4E | 16GB (4x4GB 1600MHz) Dominator Platinum | 2x Asus gtx 780 DC2OC SLI | Evga Supernova 1000 P2 | S27A750D

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrops View Post
    perhaps your program through USB was interfering with system control and unplugging from USB would fix this issue.
    Just guessing (never used corsair link before) but is there some setting you have to tweak in BIOS ? I could see what Cyrops is saying to be true. BIOS settings conflicting with link settings.

edit: Not sure if relevant to OP but found this on corsairs faq forum sticky...

Q: Why don’t my Corsair AF or SP series fans (or other 3rd party fans) change speeds in Corsair Link?
    A: Corsair Link H80i and H100i, and the Cooling Node, currently use a PWM signal to control fan speeds. This works by modulating the +12V electrical pulse width at certain frequencies to change fan RPM. With non-PWM fans such as the AF120 or SP120, the PWM signal is too frequent for the fan to adjust appropriately. If we adjusted that PWM signal frequency, the fans could be slowed down but the motors of 3rd Party DC fans are likely to make significant “clicking” or “ticking” noises. As such, we highly recommend using PWM fans with current Corsair Link fan control methods.

Q: Corsair Link and ASUS AI Suite don’t seem to work together. What’s up with that?
    A: Corsair Link and ASUS AI Suite frequently monitor the same devices in your system. Because of this, they can conflict with one another and cause the other to lock up or be unstable. Please exit out of AI Suite completely before using Corsair Link, and vice-versa.
    Last edited by TaintedOne; 2014-01-03 at 11:58 PM.
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

Quote Originally Posted by TaintedOne View Post
    Just guessing (never used corsair link before) but is there some setting you have to tweak in BIOS ? I could see what Cyrops is saying to be true. BIOS settings conflicting with link settings.
    No, the 3pin connector from the H80i does only have the sense cable which just reports the pump speed to the MB so you don't get the "cpu fan error" message and the power just comes from the sata connector. The pump controls the fans based on the water temp, if you want to have it based on the cpu temp then connect the fans to the MB instead of the pump.
    3930K@NH-U12s | Asus R4E | 16GB (4x4GB 1600MHz) Dominator Platinum | 2x Asus gtx 780 DC2OC SLI | Evga Supernova 1000 P2 | S27A750D

-snip-
    Just as a follow-up: I have no problems changing the RPMs manually, via Corsair Link, by changing the performance profile (IE, "Quiet" vs. "Balanced" vs. "Performance", etc). I was just wondering why the fans didn't automatically kick into higher gear during CPU-intensive actions, like 25 man raiding or intense gaming.

Faithh probably answered that by pointing out the fans are probably concerned with the water temp, not the actual CPU temp.

It could honestly be that even on the lower settings your CPU isn't really getting all that hot so the Corsair program doesn't see the need in bumping up the RPM of the fans. Have you monitored the temps of the CPU at all while gaming? Are they particularly high?

I was just wondering why the fans didn't automatically kick into higher gear during CPU-intensive actions, like 25 man raiding or intense gaming.
    That was my point if you set it to spin up automatically during load in link and its not perhaps a static rpm setting in BIOS is the cause. Pretty sure I misunderstood your first few post and still am so you can ignore me now =P

the fans are probably concerned with the water temp, not the actual CPU temp.
    Why would something designed to cool your CPU not be concerned with your CPU temp...thats just... /shrug
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

If you want, you can set a more aggressive fan profile (e.g. 100% fan at 50C); this would be an automated way to get what you want.

Why would something designed to cool your CPU not be concerned with your CPU temp...thats just... /shrug
    I explained it before and this is going to be the 2nd time: the pump doesn't have any idea what the cpu temp is like because it can't get that information through the sense cable. You can only save your the led lights colors on the memory of the block that's all and you cant save fan profiles. However the software Corsair link (can be even installed on a system without a hydro cooler) can retrieve the cpu temps and you can make fan profiles based on the cpu temps.

Now to answer OP's question why the fan isn't spinning faster is just simply because there's not enough heat dumped to the waterblock explaining why the water temp doesnt increase. The default mode might sound like a failure design but it isn't because the heat that IB's/HW's are transfering to the block is really nothing so increasing your fanspeed just doesn't help since the min fan speed is around 1300rpm.

Also the max water temp is around 45 or 48° cant remember exactly and if you would run your system like 3930K full clock in a 30°C room with a fixed fan speed 800rpm your idle temps would be around who knows 55° and when gaming 75-80° which means that you're exceeding the max water temp risking your pump to die.