Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Some people don't want the commitment to a fee. Which is their right.
    what commitment you can pay 15$ ONE time then cancel like other pref players did. or spend 15 on the coins and never pay again. As to your comparisons the F2P crowd in this game CHOOSES to play this game KNOWING the restrictions, so they need to learn to deal with it or go play Rift Tera LOTRO or the hundreds of other games out there.

Rift
    Tera
    SWTOR
    (in place of Pizza in your post)

I tried Rift I liked rit but there was not enough in i for me to keep playing even though is is a FULLY F2P model.

Tera I LOVED the combat style of actually having to aim to hit omething and the ability to acutually try to dodge enemies and the combo system but this game too wih its FULLY F2P model just did not suit me.

SWTOR I watched the SW movies over and over and OVER like most of us here, I LOVE laying down a MASSIVE amount of fire and destruction with y manndoes cannon or raining Death from Above wih my BH or carving a path of blood with my mara(well not much blood since the saber cauterizes the skin damned saber)

Do you see whats going on here I CHOOSE to play swtor for the game it IS even though the model is shitty, but then again I CHOOSE to pay the 15$ a month every no and again o get my creds maxed and buy escrow unlocks when I need them. I also CHOOSE to pay so that I can continue Progression raiding with my guild.

The main poijnt is CHOICE you either CHOOSE to go F2P KNOWING the model and that other game argument is getting as old as Moses and the commandments. Here is you CHOICE play knowing the restrictions or go play Rift Tera LOTRO LOL and the hundreds of other games out there. I dont like them so I choose swtor.

I do sympathize with the F2P crowd but they made their choice time to live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    A more appropriate phrase would be; "Get what you pay for."
    Thank you this is a much better way to put my point.

Quote Originally Posted by WoWGoneBad View Post
    what commitment you can pay 15$ ONE time then cancel like other pref players did.
    Sure, in SWTOR. But that is not the case for all games. As such customers may feel a recurring fee in general is not agreeable to them. For whatever reason.

It's not even important to us why these people feel this way personally. Only that as a company selling a product, Bioware/EA, are competing with other companies in enticing these players [among others] to spend money on the product.

I do sympathize with the F2P crowd but they made their choice time to live with it.
    I pay a sub fee to SWTOR.

But again, it's not relevant why others choose not to pay a lease on a game. Because SWTOR exists in a market where customers can get better or equal game experiences for less money or commitment and with fewer restriction. Or a combination of all three!

The choice here is simply in picking what style of game one likes- some like Star Wars' setting, others may like the mechanics of Tera more, etc, etc.

Potential customers don't need any sympathy. Customers can choose to go elsewhere if they wish. They have all the power in the market.

I do not agree that "you get what you paid for" is entirely appropriate for everyone and here is why:

I got the game on release and put a number of months sub on it. At the same time I also bought the game as a present for a friend and he put 6 months sub on top, plus buying me as a present a game card. So in total, BW got because of/through me money for 2 boxes (full price) plus more than a year's worth of subs. What did they offer for that? A glorified SINGLE player game with some very basic multi-player elements. As such, now that I am back as "preferred", even though I do find the game to be much improved as an MMO and a game in general, I refuse to give them a single penny because I feel that they already got enough money out of me and they didn't keep their part of the deal when I was paying.

You see I am not a "welfare" player, I am really not. Whenever I spend a bit of time in Rift (like 5-10 hours per couple of weeks), I drop them a fiver or more because I appreciate what they offer to me. If there is an update that I feel I might like in TSW I just go and buy it. I have no issues that TESO and Wildstar will have a sub, I will still try both even though I might not have the time to fully explore them. I also pay sub for WoW, even though I have cancelled for now since I got Garrosh down and I don't feel like repeating that again and again in multiple difficulties. So overall, I pay for MMOs and I have no issues doing so. But SWTOR, taking into account all the shenanigans in the first 6-9 months that I was paying sub, plus the ridiculous F2P system they have now, rubs me in the worst possible way and as such they get no money from me.

Thank you Pourkos for validating my point. You PAID for that year of service(you PAID for the service) and when you did not like that service you left the game. You are now pref and CHOOSE to play pref because you do not like the services provided but do enjoy the game.

You CHOOSE to drop money on Rift and TSW because you like their service. You made your CHOICE with what you get. Does swtor have a bad system yes it does but you can CHOOSE to pa for it or not to get the better services. I myself like the game so I sub myself when I want all the game has to offer, I have dropped money on Rift a time or two but it was not my cup of tea so I do not spend money on them.

All games are ore offering services and it is up to US as customers to decide what we pay for. Considering that all servers are Heavy or Very Heavy at 7ish on through night meas that there is a good mix of F2P and subbies that enjoy the game for what they can get.

Fence with all subs there is the option to cancel at ay time month to month unless you buy a larger chunk of time, it is the customers choice to pay the 15$ and cancel when they are ready. bout 10 months ago I went pref and every other month or two I would sub up and once the sub took I then canceled the next sub. Yes BW is selling a product but they are also giving it away for free and it is the choice of the customer to pay or not. They are aware of the current market(at least I hope they are lol) and they choose to keep this model. F2P must like it because of the amount of players playing at a given time.

So the choice is rather simple pay or not move on or stay. I am glad that there are alot of F2P that choose to stay, que times for FPs are quick there is almost always lively chat on planet to have while lvling. I am sure that with the PvP restriction going soon(or is it gone aready?) that even the pvp crowd is happy with good que times.

WoWGonebad, I am not sure how I validate your point since I don't entirely agree with how you interpreted mine. Trying again:

My beef with SWTOR is that for its release I paid for an MMO and I was served a single player game (for my taste). Additionally, at present even though it is a better game as an MMO, I find their F2P/preferred system way too restrictive for an MMO resulting in my experience being (again) primarily of the single-player variety and that crushes any goodwill left from my part. As such I do not give them any money that otherwise I could have given them. So in the end I keep playing just to "get back my money's worth" that I paid originally, but that will never be the case since no single-player game imo is worth more than £100 that I spent for my box and my sub time.

On the other hand, the comparison with Rift and TSW was on the respect and goodwill (on top of enjoyment) I get when playing these games and as such I give them money whenever I have something resembling an excuse. With SWTOR it does not happen, even though it very well could and as an example I will mention the Galactic Starfighter. Under "normal" conditions, I would have given BW some money because despite my original reservations I find it to be well done for what it tries to be. However, taking into account what I mention in my previous paragraph, my wallet stays firmly closed and BW gets nothing out of me.

P.S. the pvp restrictions are still on. If they don't remove them with 2.6 I think we can safely assume that they will stay for good.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pourekos View Post
    WoWGonebad, I am not sure how I validate your point since I don't entirely agree with how you interpreted mine. Trying again:

*snip
    Nah. He's right. You are choosing not to give Bioware another dime because of the state of the game 2 years ago. That's not dealing with reality. Reality is present day circumstances. If you want to enjoy the game, you've got way more options now than you did when you first signed on, same as everyone else. Your reaction to SWTOR sounds a lot like my reaction to Cataclysm. I dropped my WoW subscription when Cata didn't live up to my expectations. Thankfully, I wasn't one of the fools who signed up for the yearly pass. But I had been playing on the 6 month payment plan. I lost a few months of subscription payments because I didn't chose to be careful with my expectations. Swore never to play WoW again. Then I found Pandaria for 7 bucks. I'm playing WoW again for the first time in years. It's nothing special, but I no longer expect it to be. And I'm on month to month payments. It's more expensive, but I know I'm going to drop it soon. And my payments will stop as soon as I do.

You aren't alone in believing the hype behind this game. Over a million players tried it and left when it wasn't as good as advertised. That's the majority of people who bought it. They screwed up, and they lost your money for a long time. But they've made a lot of improvements. Unfortunately, most of those improvements are hiding behind their paywall. A lot of other players are living in the past with you. If you want to check them out, do your research and make sure you know what you're getting. Iff* it sounds like it's worth it, sign yourself up for one more month and cancel the next day. Then just relax and enjoy the parts you liked without the constant F2P advertisements, try out the new stuff, and stay away from the kool aid.

*If and only if

*snip
    P.S. the pvp restrictions are still on. If they don't remove them with 2.6 I think we can safely assume that they will stay for good.
    As to your first paragraph you again give credence to my point. At the time when you PAID for the game you were paying 60 for both boxes and 15$ for each month of game time. This is what you PAID for This is what their service was. When the time came for your sub to run out you did NOT pay for more time because it was not what you wanted and felt that it was not worth anymore money. That was your CHOICE(this is the point I make in this thread CHOICE)

Now with TSW you get something out of it. Enjoyment although my time playing both it felt rather single player to me (but tomato tomato right). SO as you like what you see and want to get more you PAY for their services and items in game. This as a customer is your CHOICE.

You choice is to pay for Rift and TSW because you enjoy them. MY choice is to pay for tor because I like them. We bth made a choice.

As for the PvP restrictions I was under impression they were to be removed for GSF but again BW fails again for those that enjoy pvp I am glad I am not one of them.

Ok, this is going in circles so I will try for the last time.

The problem with the arguments of both of you is that you consider their business models binary: sub and F2P/B2P. The thing is, they all have a market you can put money in for random items/conveniences etc. Rift/TSW have a model that entices me to give them money out of appreciation for what they offer me, SWTOR does not. It is not a matter of enjoying the other 2 games more or not because I like all 3 more or less the same for different reasons and in fact I spend more time in SWTOR at the moment. But Rift/TSW make me feel welcome and appreciated when I play, while SWTOR pisses all over me from the login screen onwards. So in the end, while I currently pay a sub for none of them, Rift/TSW do make money out of me and SWTOR makes none and that is purely because of their business model.

Finally, in regards to my past with SWTOR, the only difference it makes at present is that I would think twice to give them money, but even as such I would pay for example for the GS that I really like, as a token of appreciation. However, taking everything together, I refuse to do so.

Anyway, that's as much as I will say on the subject. All the best.

Pour I cold give two damns about their model I like the game I so sub they give me what I like.

You like all three games that is great more people in swtor the better but you do not pay for swtor because they do not give you enough but you like the game. It is you who is trying to spin a point that you made in your last three posts. You CHOOSE to pay for stuff in Rift and TSW because you like what they give you and they do not constantly remind you that you are F2P. I pay for swtor because I like what they give me and I want all the benefits that come with a sub. it is the CHOICE we make.

My point is that F2P players CHOOSE to play despite the model so they get what they PAY for. which is not alot. BW has HEAVY restrictions and CONSTANT reminders that you are indeed a F2P. Those that CHOOSE to go F2P CHOOSE to have this constant reminder thrown in their face KNOWING that it will be there from the login screen onwards.

You choose to have these reminders that piss you off but you play anyway because you like the game.

Quote Originally Posted by WoWGoneBad View Post
    Pour I cold give two damns about their model I like the game I so sub they give me what I like.

You like all three games that is great more people in swtor the better but you do not pay for swtor because they do not give you enough but you like the game. It is you who is trying to spin a point that you made in your last three posts. You CHOOSE to pay for stuff in Rift and TSW because you like what they give you and they do not constantly remind you that you are F2P. I pay for swtor because I like what they give me and I want all the benefits that come with a sub. it is the CHOICE we make.

My point is that F2P players CHOOSE to play despite the model so they get what they PAY for. which is not alot. BW has HEAVY restrictions and CONSTANT reminders that you are indeed a F2P. Those that CHOOSE to go F2P CHOOSE to have this constant reminder thrown in their face KNOWING that it will be there from the login screen onwards.

You choose to have these reminders that piss you off but you play anyway because you like the game.
    No, I chose to have the option to explore 3 different games that I enjoy for different aspects of each one and since 2 of them don't treat me like shit they get some money out of me too. None of them would get a sub right now, but 2 are making money out of me and one is not and this is purely based on their business model. But you can't get out of your head the binary system of sub or F2P and as such you keep repeating the same things over and over. Whatever, I am happy for you and all the best.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, I chose to have the option to explore 3 different games that I enjoy for different aspects of each one and since 2 of them don't treat me like shit they get some money out of me too. None of them would get a sub right now, but 2 are making money out of me and one is not and this is purely based on their business model. But you can't get out of your head the binary system of sub or F2P and as such you keep repeating the same things over and over. Whatever, I am happy for you and all the best.
    After re-reading all of your posts, I have to disagree. You are vehemently denying the fact that the real reason you aren't giving them any money is your first experience. It's a good reason. I'm not trying to tell you it isn't. But this isn't about their business model.

10+ Year Old Account
    in this world you get what you pay for......consider yourself lucky to play the game for free
    i know its limited but as i said you get what you pay for

Quote Originally Posted by Parrin View Post
    After re-reading all of your posts, I have to disagree. You are vehemently denying the fact that the real reason you aren't giving them any money is your first experience. It's a good reason. I'm not trying to tell you it isn't. But this isn't about their business model.
    Mate, I post (or used to) at the TSW forums under the same name. If you fancy, go and check under the pvp forums and see for yourself how "positive" I consider my experience with that game's pvp and whether it was a big reason I left the game or not. In case you can't be asked, here's the resume: I had an extremely negative opinion regarding the implementation of pvp and it made me leave the game. However, with their B2P system they allow me to play the game unrestricted (plus all the DLC I bought) and I appreciate that, especially since I really like the pve. As such, they also get some money from me. In SWTOR, whether I paid £100+ or a fiver, I am still restricted left right and centre, making me not willing to give any more.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Swtor's F2P is Horrendous. That being said playing with a Sub it is the most fun I've had in an MMO in years.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think I'm entitled to anything if I'm not paying for it. However, the restrictions on F2play accounts make me feel like EA/Bioware doesn't actually want me to play their game. I don't feel like they have any enticements to offer me, because basically what they did was jack up the prices for me while keeping them the same for sub players. This makes it seem like I have to pay just to get a fair shake, which isn't a very encouraging feeling. It doesn't inspire a desire to give them further amounts of money, at any rate.

Contrast that with Rift, where I feel like Trion really wants me to play, and entices me with cool stuff that I can get in addition to the stuff they already give me. Everything in the store is a perk, or something shiny I can wear to dance around in. I can do everything - seriously, everything - without spending a cent of RL money, but if I want to spend some money on some gems, I can get some pretty shiny things for my money.

It's just a totally different atmosphere.

Edited to Add: The worst is actually the customer service. I can submit tickets in Rift. I get a response in under 24 hours, and they are always so nice. In SWTOR, I can't even post on the forums, and I'm not allowed to submit a ticket for anything. So if I have a problem, I'm SOL. Again, this contributes to the feeling that EA/Bioware doesn't actually want me there, and Trion does.
    Last edited by TirielWoW; 2014-02-06 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Extra info!
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama