Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    The EU storylines were mostly trash. I welcome a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    It's your opinion that it is objectively bad. So therefore it is not objective so you're wrong. Zeta I think you can't tell people to f off because people aren't caring to see the EU universe on the big screen. Some people just don't care for it.
    The films are poorly acted, and badly written. Full of plotholes, inconsistencies, and Mary Sue character portrayal, with very little in terms of actual character writing.
    The books are overly simplistic, full of plotholes (again), characters lack depth, there's an overall lack of vocabulary, sentences are poorly constructed, the stories lack depth...

Look; they're just bad. It doesn't matter how much you (or I, for that matter) like them.

It's your opinion that it is objectively bad. So therefore it is not objective so you're wrong. Zeta I think you can't tell people to f off because people aren't caring to see the EU universe on the big screen. Some people just don't care for it.
    I don't think either of you know what "objectively" means.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    The word 'objectively' can, here, be used as an approximation of actual objectiveness. Since it is a series of works of art, there will always be opinions on the subject, and 'good' or 'bad' are hard to quantify in an absolute way. Therefore, I look at the works' qualities with regards to craftsmanship. And the craftsmanship is simply poor; insufficient for a high-quality work of art. It lacks subtleties and intricacies, and is often in complete contradiction with itself. Especially moral dillemmas are completely ignored for the sake of 'consistency,' which in turn makes the entire thing unravel. A piece of cloth woven with the same attitude as these stories were written would unravel and fall apart before it even left the loom. Now; we can argue whether or not that piece of cloth is, indeed, purely, strictly, objectively bad, since we could assume that it was never made to hold together in the first place and we shouldn't judge its objective quality by its... Well; actual quality since there's no way to absolutely quantify its quality grade, but to be completely honest, here: That's just nitpicking semantics for no good reason.

We expect a piece of cloth that does what we want it to do, its consistency being a major part of that. Failing that, its craftsmanship is poor, and we can come to the conclusion it is 'objectively' bad by most reasonable approximation.

Geez, we haven't even seen anything of the new movies and already you start piling up layers of assumptions. What if they fit in perfectly in the end? Doesn't mean everything you can even think of from EU has to be covered either, so although I'd have loved to see these movies cover up the time after the Fate series it kinda made sense to place them before the darker themed stories.

Usually the people at Lucasfilm see to it that the continuity of the SW story remains intact, aside from a few minor discrepancies (depending on how canon you think every single word is). At least I hope they can still do so even with Disney sitting in their neck, and if they really start messing things up we still don't have to like it, fan or not, knowing EU or not. We can still pretend Star Wars died in late 2012.
    Your rights as a consumer begin and end at the point where you choose not to consume, and not where you yourself influence the consumed goods.

Translation: if you don't like a game don't play it.

Deleted
    Hm the Jason books? I find that you can easily leave the nests and vong storylines out, as they only add few characters/romances, which honestly aren't needed. They can write the story around those not having happened. What does annoy me though, is that Jason's transformation is so much like Anakins (prequel movies).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlzone View Post
    Hm the Jason books? I find that you can easily leave the nests and vong storylines out, as they only add few characters/romances, which honestly aren't needed. They can write the story around those not having happened. What does annoy me though, is that Jason's transformation is so much like Anakins (prequel movies).

Jacen* and events during the Vong invasion were INTREGAL to Jacen falling to the dark side.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Hes refering to whats the fucking point of learning any of the storyline if none of them link together and one doesnt matter to the others.
    Learning? Really? Did you just use the word learning in association with fictional entertainment? This isn't Western Civilization 101. This is fictional fucking entertainment. Meant for enjoyment/escapism/detachment from the boring realities of life for a brief moment.

You keep talking about 20+ years of established written fictional history like this is a new gospel of fully realized historical data that needs to be taught in classrooms right next to American History to the "movie jocks" to enlighten them. Not just, ya know, some fucking fictional story written for temporary entertainment on a plane or road trip or on a beach or at home on a snowy day. FFS wake up. You can be a SW fan and not have read every single fucking piece of paper any Joe Blow author wrote some EU fan fiction on. Doesn't mean they're any less of a fan than someone like you who has completely went overboard to an unhealthy degree with his obsession over the written SW universe to the point you consider it non-fictional historical fact.

Even George himself has almost completely dismissed the EU works aside from some VERY minor involvement with them. Which was undoubtedly more damage control than anything to ensure some of the authors didn't create a train wreck of his material. You've been thoroughly kicked to the curb here from all the quotes stating separate SW universes between movies vs. books. And yet you still scream on about Lucas being an idiot, all the movie fans being idiot jocks, and only you and the one or two other people on the planet who have read every single EU book being the only "true" fans.

Get real. When the creator of the franchise himself dismisses the books and only really cares about the story as it's told on the silver screen where it was always originally intended to be told, I think that's your sign you're investing a liiiiiiittle too much emphasis on the books. If it weren't for Lucas laying the original groundwork and the movie fans propelling the series into the worldwide phenomenon it is still to this day, you wouldn't have any of that EU shit to bury your face in every day like it's your Bible or some Daily Guideposts inspirational reading.

Get your elitist bookworm head out of your ass.
    Last edited by Donair; 2014-01-06 at 03:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    ITT: people butthurt that their glorified fanfic is no longer canon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    ITT: people butthurt that their glorified fanfic is no longer canon.
    no, more like we would like to see some of the storylines already created used for the movies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    I do, I just don't care for people calling their thing objective.

And now comparing a cloth to a movie is somehow a good analogy. Oy.....
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

And now comparing a cloth to a movie is somehow a good analogy. Oy.....
    It is. Both are constructed from interlaced patterns. One thread connects to the next, and consistency is key in both. When one thread is placed in a certain way, this will affect the entirety of the weave. Both are, one could say, woven It's a poor equivalency, but as analogies go, it does work.

You can't just stubbornly bulldozer through inconsistencies in order to make your plot work. Well; you can, of course, but the result won't be good. Even though, in the case of Star Wars, it may still be enjoyable.

Star Wars is older then LOTR
    Are we now talking about a book trilogy written between '37-'49 and released in '54? And saying Star Wars which came out in '77 is somehow older? Did I miss some weird shattering of time and space continuum here? O.o
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Are we now talking about a book trilogy written between '37-'49 and released in '54? And saying Star Wars which came out in '77 is somehow older? Did I miss some weird shattering of time and space continuum here? O.o
    Ah, I see I wasn't the only one who picked up on that...
    Sadly, my response in that light got ignored...

Deleted
    https://twitter.com/HolocronKeeper/s...71186232385536

Its official. Book canon is no more

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic209 View Post
    https://twitter.com/HolocronKeeper/s...71186232385536

Its official. Book canon is no more
    It never was, the hierarchy was established long time ago.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    It never was, the hierarchy was established long time ago.
    It was book canon - Anything above it took precedence but it was actually part of the star wars universe.

By scrapping the hierarchy they are making one timeline that will have to throw out some if not all the books

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic209 View Post
    It was book canon - Anything above it took precedence but it was actually part of the star wars universe.

By scrapping the hierarchy they are making one timeline that will have to throw out some if not all the books
    If anything, they are creating a definite canon combining the movies and the other media. It's actually more enlarging than the previous vision of the hierarchy where the movie canon-line stood alone without any other novel/comic/game. But it doesn't scrap the EU canon-line.