Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Added The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies. Gone Girl has moved out of the top ten list.

New Top Movie!
    The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies has dethroned Interstellar, which has been at the top since the 6th of November.

What can I say, I'm a Middle-Earth junkie. (Epic) Fantasy movies need to step it up, now we can't rely on Middle-Earth movies to scratch that itch.

1. Guardians of the Galaxy

2. Captain America: Winter Soldier

3. The Lego Movie

4. Birdman

5. Anchorman 2

6. Big Hero Six

7. Xmen: Days of Future Past

8. Video Games: The Movie

9. Rosewater

10. Godzilla

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Added The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies. Gone Girl has moved out of the top ten list.

New Top Movie!
    The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies has dethroned Interstellar, which has been at the top since the 6th of November.

What can I say, I'm a Middle-Earth junkie. (Epic) Fantasy movies need to step it up, now we can't rely on Middle-Earth movies to scratch that itch.
    Totally agree. That film was amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Added the Hobbit and X-Men to my list now!

The Grand Budapest Hotel, and Nightcrawler were both pretty awesome. While, it wasn't all that great, I did like Dracula, Untold. I just really dig Castlevania.

Anyway, the final Hobbit movie will probably top the list for me, once I get to watch it. I also really want to see Foxcatcher, The Imitation Game, and Unbroken. Probably American Sniper (hate Bradley Cooper but I love Clint eastwood films) as well as The Theory of Everything.
    Last edited by Beersdagreat; 2014-12-19 at 01:01 AM.

Deleted
    The Grand Budapest Hotel, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Guardian of the Galaxy, Nightcrawler & Maleficent were among my favorites.

Added Birdman. Edge of Tomorrow has moved out of the top ten list.

Deleted
    Although i still need to see a few of the good reviewed movies of this year(particular looking forward to see Force Majeure and Boyhood) it is probably a good time to sum up some of the best movie experience from this year. 2014 didnt quite turn out as amazing as i had hoped, maybe the companies have become better at hyping movies and setting expectations high. While 2014 lacked in perfect 10`s, it had alot of 9`s though.

Starred Up. A realistic Prison movie gem with some of this year`s most explosive scenes. Incredible acting from Jack O'Connell and Ben Mendelsohn. Mendelsohn have become one of my favored villains. He takes Method acting seriously. He offered to get teeths pulled out for his part in Place Beyond the Pines.

Gone Girl. A perfect crafted Thriller. Typical David Fincher who turns a piece of airport literature into a Oscar worthy thriller.

Boxtrolls. In my opinion this years best animated movie, although the competetion probably wasnt that big. Concept art have more in common with a Tim Burton animation than a Disney.

Interstellar. This movie actual ended up as a disappointment for me. I had expected more after reading the script. But gone was a alien "fractal" lifeform and a massive super advanced space station. Instead we had a strange Kubric inspired variation of a space/time and 3 desolated exo planets. Still, a movie which takes General Relativity serious and depict realistic space travelling is always worth watching.

Particle Fever. For those who enjoyed the philosophical aspects of Interstellar this documentary is a must. It follows a group of key ppl in and around CERN leading up to the confirmation of the Higgs Particle. The theoretical physicists who would have wasted decades of work and research if the Higgs Boson wouldn't have showed up. And the experimental physicist when they start their marvel of a machine, the LHC, where each of the four detectors are being compared to a Swiss watch the size of a 5 storey building - filled with 7000 tons Precision Mechanics.

The mass of the Higgs boson would give us a pointer whether we live in a huge chaotic multiverse or in a universe fine-tuned to accommodate life - when the particle finally shows up it turn out to have yet another surprise in store for the scientists.

Nightcrawler. Eerie take on the news industry. Gyllenhaal is easily recognizable and yet you have the feeling it really is his evil twin. Just as charming and slick he can be in movies like Brokeback and Source Code, just as abhorrent and repulsive is he in Nightcrawler. When a 60 year old Rene Russo rejects him and find him disgusting you totally understand it.

Stranger by the Lake. Probably the closest thing we get to a modern Hitchcock movie and probably a film that will be recommended with typical reservations; "Now.. I'm not gay but this film ...." . If people do not get offended by its rather elaborate sex scenes the movie is actually one of the most exciting and suspense driven thrillers in years.

Wolfs of Wall Street. All what is needed to be said about this here film is that it`s Martin Scorsesse at his best. Scorsesses movies will inevitably be pitted against some of the best ever made - Goodfellas, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull. It says something about the Wolf`s qualities that it manage to cope in the company.

Snowpiercer. This movie really took my by surprise. I almost stopped the movie after the first 10 minuttes gritty and depressing dystopia. But the moment Tilda Swinton showed up with glasses and dentures the movie gained a Terry Gilliamesque quality. One of my all time favorit postapocalyptic movies is 12 Monkeys. And Snowpiercer have the same charme. What it lacks in originality it makes it up in interesting choreographed battle sequences.

In A World.. Technically a 2013 movie which premiered in 2014 whre i live though. Underrated comedy with some good cameos. Same subtle comedy as in this years best tv show - Transparent. Movies and tv shows where the characters have such a depth and personality do not need action scenes or GFX - scenes from their ordinary lives becomes addictive by itself.

A few runner ups:
    Occulus. Best horror movie from this year imo, Babadook had potential, but failed to use the childrens books eerie design for a real scare. Guardian of the Galaxy - a relative average movie, yet perfection when it comes to sweet, fat entertaining. Xmen - days of Future past: one of the better Xmen movies which probably have the best scene ever made in a Superhero movie (google "Quicksilver - Time in a bottle" )
    Last edited by mmoc20f115c1ec; 2014-12-28 at 10:28 AM.

I haven't seen that many this year but...

1. Interstellar - The soundtrack in this movie probably what made it. The science behind it wasn't also some far fetched idea (for the most part) was also really nice to see.

2. Xmen: Days of Future Past - I'm an Xmen fan. Not much else to say.

3. Guardians of the Galaxy - Was a pleasant surprise.

4. A Walk Among the Tombstones - This movie doesn't seem to be that popular but I enjoyed it a lot. Very somber.

5. The Equalizer

I still plan to watch The Raid 2 and John Wick. Both seem awesome.
    Last edited by Aruhen; 2014-12-28 at 10:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because greek cinemas generally show the non-huge box office movies like 2-3 months later than everyone else, I still haven't seen Birdman, Nightcrawler, Whiplash, Inherent Vice, Leviafan, The Drop, Fury, Foxcatcher, The Imitation Game, I Origins, The Theory of Everything, American Sniper just to name a few (ok I'm waiting for the blu-ray release for some of them)... This list is incredibly incomplete in that regard. But goddamn 2014 was a good year.

1. Interstellar (9.5/10)
    2. Calvary (9/10)
    3. Boyhood (9/10)
    4. The Raid 2: Berandal (9/10)
    5. Gone Girl (9/10)
    6. Blue Ruin (8/10)
    7. The Grand Budapest Hotel (8/10)
    8. Fury (8/10)
    9. Guardians of the Galaxy (8/10)
    10. Snowpiercer (7.5/10)
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2015-01-01 at 12:07 PM.

Last year I rated one movie 10 and three movies 9. This year I've rated two movies 10 and six movies 9, and I haven't even seen Whiplash or The Imitation Game yet, which are the two movies that I think have a fair shot at getting into my top ten list. Needless to say, 2014 FTW.

Thinking of changing the thread's system for 2015, so there's two threads, one for lists and one for discussion. That makes it easier to see all the lists, and having a thread for discussion might expand the discussion to cover movies coming out throughout 2015.

Deleted
    Last year I rated one movie 10 and three movies 9. This year I've rated two movies 10 and six movies 9, and I haven't even seen Whiplash or The Imitation Game yet, which are the two movies that I think have a fair shot at getting into my top ten list. Needless to say, 2014 FTW.

Thinking of changing the thread's system for 2015, so there's two threads, one for lists and one for discussion. That makes it easier to see all the lists, and having a thread for discussion might expand the discussion to cover movies coming out throughout 2015.
    I think i gave Gravity 10 last year, as the only movie.
    I actual had a really hard time rating and ranking movies this year - i had hoped that Interstellar would have been this years clear winner, but im actual inclined to put a docu like Particle Fever above it. 2014 didnt really deliver on that flawless, timeless experience, which movies like Goodfellas, Alien or even old b/w like Chaplin`s Gold Rush can. For my taste that is, ofcourse.

Hopefully next year though
    A 2015 movie thread could be nice. It looks like yet another awesome year with Star Wars, Jurassic World, Mad MAx, 007 etc etc. Finding the real gems in all the hype and marketing is going to be a challenge

Quote Originally Posted by verdamte View Post
    I think i gave Gravity 10 last year, as the only movie.
    Really? Gravity was easily one of my least enjoyable movies from last year. The only thing I really enjoyed was the leather reclliner seating.

I've seen a few movies, none of them cracking my top ten: Mockingjay, Horrible Bosses 2, The Hobbit (Alliance propaganda snuff film).
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Really? Gravity was easily one of my least enjoyable movies from last year. The only thing I really enjoyed was the leather reclliner seating.

I've seen a few movies, none of them cracking my top ten: Mockingjay, Horrible Bosses 2, The Hobbit (Alliance propaganda snuff film).
    You say "really" as if Gravity wasn't a movie that appeared on a large amount of top ten lists last year.

10+ Year Old Account
    idk a list but The Interview was hilarious

Added Whiplash. Noah has moved out of the top ten list.

You say "really" as if Gravity wasn't a movie that appeared on a large amount of top ten lists last year.
    It wasn't an overly sarcastic "really" but more of a more subdued "wow, i rarely give anything a perfect 10 of 10, so you really liked that particular movie enough to give it a 10?" To me, that would mean no room for improvement.

Deleted
    It wasn't an overly sarcastic "really" but more of a more subdued "wow, i rarely give anything a perfect 10 of 10, so you really liked that particular movie enough to give it a 10?" To me, that would mean no room for improvement.
    Imo a 10 is when a movie becomes art or have potential to become a cultural Milestone. Typically flawless movies with importance, heart and soul.
    Can even have a few small flaws if the movie is something else.
    Could probably find a few oddities in Alien for example. But the movie has such strong qualities that it still makes a 10 in my book.

Dr Strangelove is another example. In my eyes a 10. Not because it is flawless crafted, but because it has a important message and deliver it with a unique absurdity.

Martin Scorseses Raging Bull is a more typical 10. The visuals is art imo ( check this boxing scene for example- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wwItkoapuA ). Method acting taken to a unprecedented level. Almost every aspect of the movie is extraordinary.

Gravity is a 10 for me mainly because of the settings. It is the perfect vertigo movie. Above is the empty eternity and below is your whole life. It's a movie i bet will inspire a generation of filmmaker's - i'm certain the ending, Shenzhous re-entry will be used in future movies in all kinds of variations.

I totally agree with you that a 10 should be something amazing. Perhaps Gravity is a love or hate kinda movie though.

Quote Originally Posted by verdamte View Post
    Perhaps Gravity is a love or hate kinda movie though.
    I probably got clipped in the hype wagon. If you expect a 7 and get a 6, it feels like a 5. If you get hype and marketing and expect an 8 but get a 6, it really makes it feel far worse. I'll give it another go, when it hits Netflix. I'd guess similar things with Drive.

What's an improvement? No movie is perfect, and if you thought long and hard enough, you could probably find something you'd change in any movie. Somebody else would probably consider your improvement bad and would have their own improvement. What you like subjective, your experience with a movie is subjective, and what you want from a movie you rate 10 is subjective.

Verdamte rates a movie 10 when it becomes "art or have potential to become a cultural Milestone" and typically is "flawless with importance, heart and soul." I don't care about art, and I don't care if pop culture hails it as a "cultural milestone". As I said, I don't think any movie is flawless, and I think Interstellar is a "important movie with heart and soul". Some people don't think so and believe Nolan completely missed the emotional parts of the movie, while my dad cried three times when he saw it.

I like epic and grandeur, I like fantasy, I like adventure, I like gritty darkness, I like great themes and messages, I like intrigung characters, I like awesome action, etc etc. No movie has all these things, and even if it did, each of them would likely not be 10/10.