Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovecrafts View Post
    You admit there is an effect yet you advocate nothing being done about it, that sure sounds like ignoring to me
    When you breath, do you use an oxygen/breathing mask, or do you just fill your lungs with unfiltered air from the atmosphere? If not, please, don't care about radiation that so far not any experts (you that the IAEA has lots of experts on that case, even some from the US) is concerned about. (atleast as far as i seen documents about it) And believe the jJapanese, they are quite good with radiation by now, that live testing area they had for the last 70 years helped lots.

Oh btw. I was born before Chernobyl, still alive!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Filathorn View Post
    You still need 100mSv/year to get an increased cancer risk.
    Go live there then. As for other people that like living in their own perfect world and read one version of a story and feel satisfied, get up your asses and go there, otherwise you have no right to say there are no problems. I for one don't gargle all the bullshit "high quality"news stations throw at me. However you put it, Fukushima is a serious problem and to deny it would be very stupid and ignorant...

10+ Year Old Account
    giving other marine animals such as polar bears hair loss.
    First of all the starfish are being found on California. Their has been no other sight of the problem anywhere in Alaska or Canada or central/South america. So what I am wondering where the fuck are you getting this polar bear thing from because nothing has shown up about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Berri View Post
    Is there such thing as an 'inconsequential' level of gamma radiation?
    Bruce Banner thought so.

He was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshain View Post
    However you put it, Fukushima is a serious problem and to deny it would be very stupid and ignorant...
    I think "very stupid and ignorant" is a better label to apply to all the fearmongering bullshit that's being put out by people who really don't understand any of the underlying science and are operating purely off the not entirely accurate assumption of "radiation = bad."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    I think "very stupid and ignorant" is a better label to apply to all the fearmongering bullshit that's being put out by people who really don't understand any of the underlying science and are operating purely off the not entirely accurate assumption of "radiation = bad."
    You're one of those that has to disagree with everything no matter how wrong you are, willing to do stupid things to have people agree with you, sadly there are to many people like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're one of those that has to disagree with everything no matter how wrong you are, willing to do stupid things to have people agree with you, sadly there are to many people like that.
    Sorry but isn't that exactly what you're doing? We have thousands of scientists saying "it's not fine, but it's equally not dangerous as we have it under control" and you're sitting here saying "OH THE NEWS STATIONS FEED US BULLSHIT DON'T TRUST THEM"

... and then you try to argue that other people are being unnecessarily argumentative. We have thousands of scientists with between them, thousands of years of education/experience cumulatively on nuclear engineering and radiation. And you're prepared to sit there and say that they are feeding us lies? Once again you're making things up, saying that people are ignoring it as a serious issue. NO, that is NOT happening. People are NOT ignoring it or as has been stated many times in this thread, we wouldn't have thousands of people working on it. It is because people are working on it, that the general populace can ignore it.

Why? Because there is nothing the general populace can do. Those people who have the ability to do anything about it, are doing something about it. Those who don't, may as well not even think about it because frankly they aren't going to be able to help... so as long as those people are safe, why should you or I be concerned? All you are doing by standing on the rooftops screaming "DANGER DANGER" is fearmongering. At my last look, myself and Chazus have evidence. You have none, yet you're sitting here telling us we're wrong. See the problem?
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    *snip*
    How dare you come at him with your obviously bias facts! He has made up bullshit on his side!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notchris View Post
    How dare you come at him with your obviously bias facts! He has made up bullshit on his side!
    How dare you question me, who do you think you are, punk? Huh? Huh? Huh?

*aggressive posture*
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

10+ Year Old Account
    Go live there then. As for other people that like living in their own perfect world and read one version of a story and feel satisfied, get up your asses and go there, otherwise you have no right to say there are no problems. I for one don't gargle all the bullshit "high quality"news stations throw at me. However you put it, Fukushima is a serious problem and to deny it would be very stupid and ignorant...

I prolly would live healthier directly outside the safe perimeter of Fukushima than say in Pecking, Moscow or any other highly populated area in an industrial nation.

There are problems in Fukushima, there are problems everywhere. Fukushima is a problem that has to be solved by the Japanese energy department, the company that owns the plant and the IAEA (that's why we have this ominous 4 letter organisation). If you are so interested in problems, maybe you could start solving some of them which you have influence over.

You can't do anything with the Core for fear of making it worse. Entomb it in concrete, let it cool down for a thousand years, then harvest all that ripe and tasty nuclear fuel for more energy!
    RETH

People have two things that prevent them from caring about issues like this:

1. Short attention spans. The news will move on to the next big thing and won't dwell on last week's crisis.
    2. The inability to extrapolate. It's difficult to see past our own noses. Am I getting sick from radioactive fish? No? Don't care. That's the mentality. It's halfway around the world and isn't directly hurting us, so it's not in the forefront.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    You can't do anything with the Core for fear of making it worse. Entomb it in concrete, let it cool down for a thousand years, then harvest all that ripe and tasty nuclear fuel for more energy!
    Making the best of a bad situation is what it comes down to.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Varabently View Post

1. Short attention spans. The news will move on to the next big thing and won't dwell on last week's crisis.
    2. The inability to extrapolate. It's difficult to see past our own noses. Am I getting sick from radioactive fish? No? Don't care. That's the mentality. It's halfway around the world and isn't directly hurting us, so it's not in the forefront.
    Noone is getting sick from radioactive fish. Was this a claim or an example?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varabently View Post

Your forgot the 3rd: Understanding nuclear radiation. It's not some poison that you touch and you die. You need a certain amount of exposure to it to even elevate your cancer risk (that's not death btw) and it's very measurable.

Quote Originally Posted by DieFichte View Post
    Your forgot the 3rd: Understanding nuclear radiation. It's not some poison that you touch and you die. You need a certain amount of exposure to it to even elevate your cancer risk (that's not death btw) and it's very measurable.
    I'd also be far more worried about the amount of mercury you ingest via seafood than the radioactive content if you live several thousand kilometers away from the actual reactor. But again, you covered that by introducing that 3rd point
    RETH

OFFCOURSE the water that is used to cool a radioactive reactor is going to damage wildlife. How could anyone be naive enough to believe otherwise?
    They might believe otherwise because they can do simple arithmetic and compute how much that radioactivity is diluted when mixed into enormous quantities of Pacific Ocean water.

The radioactivity from Fukushima is not having any detectable impact on sea stars on the North American coast. It is simply far, far too dilute to do that.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there such thing as an 'inconsequential' level of gamma radiation?
    Yes -- when the radiation is far below natural background levels.

Did you know the oceans contain about 4 billion tons of dissolved uranium, and about 300 million tons of the radioactive isotope potassium 40?
    Last edited by Osmeric; 2014-01-06 at 02:30 PM.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    I'd also be far more worried about the amount of mercury you ingest via seafood than the radioactive content if you live several thousand kilometers away from the actual reactor. But again, you covered that by introducing that 3rd point
    It's kind of insane that a lot of people have no idea how radiation works, and it's not per se evil in all it forms.

And on the notion of Ocean wildlife, we dump way more toxic shit and harmful materials (on of them you may heard of, it's called plastic [please don't hate me for using that instead of the actual scientific correct name]) into the oceans. Like, good example, that nice safe oil transporting ships that sail under the flag of some 3rd world country for US corporations just so they can safe 5cents per barrel (totally made up number btw).
    Last edited by DieFichte; 2014-01-06 at 02:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DieFichte View Post
    It's kind of mind blowing that a lot of people have no idea how radiation works, and it's not per se evil in all it forms.
    People also think that "Radiation" doesn't exist outside of nuclear bombs and reactors. It's not some magic 'stuff' that man created and controls, and only exists in crazy disasters. It's out there, every day. In everything. It's coming out of your monitor, right freaking now. At your face.

PS. Cancer pixels.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    PS. Cancer pixels.
    D:

You should have said their smartphones emmit radiation and it's frying their brains right now!

mhhh fried brains...BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAINS

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    People also think that "Radiation" doesn't exist outside of nuclear bombs and reactors. It's not some magic 'stuff' that man created and controls, and only exists in crazy disasters. It's out there, every day. In everything. It's coming out of your monitor, right freaking now. At your face.

PS. Cancer pixels.
    And that a freaky green glow indicates radiation (note nuclear reactors glow blue when in operation). I believe you are referring to Polyethylene DieFichte?

Also theirs the relative dangers of radiation. For example, an Alpha emitter on the table next to you has negligible effects. Pop that source in your mouth and swallow it and you're dead, and it wont be pretty. Beta emitter on the table, slightly more worrying, but not as dangerous to swallow. For example, low sodium salt uses potassium chloride mixed in with the normal stuff, and potassium has an unstable isotope (K^40 I think) that beta decays to Ar or Ca, and we eat that stuff all the time. Gamma is a bit more odd, as high energy gamma rays are more likely to pass through you without interacting with your body (unless you're pretty dense, and after reading some posts on here, there are plenty of dense people). X-rays, slightly lower energy, more dangerous.

And then there's neutron radiation. I remember reading somewhere that if you stood 100m away form an active nuclear reactor, you would be completely irradiated (and dead) within 10 seconds, purely because of neutron radiation.
    Last edited by Dundebuns; 2014-01-06 at 02:42 PM.
    RETH