Page 1 of 16
... LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

Why has everyone ignored the Fukushima problem?

It would take a serious idiot to claim the radiation that is killing fish and sea birds, turning starfish into goo, and giving other marine animals such as polar bears hair loss. Honestly, I have heard this problem dismissed before as conspiracy theory nonsense but the increasing problems, 300 gallons of radioactive water leaked daily, contaminated fish being sold to North America from Japan, and dead sea life, they all give off a vibe that this is infact an issue. I don't know why there's been no coverage of it or why Obama himself says there's no likeness of harmful radiation reaching North America when it is already building up?

Honestly, it's a bit stupid how no one is talking about this.

turning starfish into goo
    That's just karma for all the other animals they turn into goo.

Link some news reports / research about it. I've heard about leaks and there being big problems with storage of contaminated material but i've not heard anything about polar bears and hair loss etc. If there is no coverage how did you hear about it ? It is possible it isn't true which is why i'd like some sources. Hopefully something more substantial than blog posts or youtube videos.
    Last edited by Paulosio; 2014-01-04 at 09:36 PM.

Deleted
    What you need to remember is, 99.9% of people only give a shit for a week or two (if that), till something else happens.

Citation needed. Sure, it's an issue. But what makes you think people aren't somehow trying to control it? Instead you assume we are ignoring it just because the media wasn't able to make a big deal out of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you have any evidence of any of these things or did you read them on one of those typical, poorly formatted websites that espouse conspiracy theories?

Deleted
    You do realize that most people are only interested in eating, drinking and fucking and anything that doesn't hinder any of that is going to be ignored ? I said most people.

10+ Year Old Account
    We'll only care once shit has hit the fan and there's nothing we can do. Even though it would be a global catastrophe should the plant meltdown currently the masses see it as a Japan only problem.
    Obtuse and Obedient of Stormrage US

I don't have my own TV at the moment, but I watch the news every now and again here (Tokyo). It's been talked about, and there unfortunately isn't much the people themselves can do about it.
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

I think this thread can already be closed. If you claim something, back it up with sources, that's how you discuss; if you don't want to discuss it and start insulting there is nothing coming from this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shemsu Hov View Post
    Take it easy there.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    "I didn't provide any sources that support my opening statement"

"You want sources? Fuck you, take these articles i haven't read one iota of"

Nice pal, nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    First link mentions nothing about Fukushima. Third link doesn't either, like the first it says that he has no idea what is going on. The fourth states:
    Reuters noted that preliminary studies do not support a theory that the disease is due to contamination from the tsunami-wrecked Fukushima nuclear plant in Japan.
    Only the second link has anything to say about Fukushima and that is to say that they're testing to see if that's the cause. Nothing you've linked, unless I missed it, links any of the issues above to Fukushima's fallout.

I'm not saying there isn't, but not being a biologist means I'll wait for someone who does know what is going to explain it.

That's really hostile

It would take a serious idiot to claim the radiation that is killing fish and sea birds, turning starfish into goo, and giving other marine animals such as polar bears hair loss.
    It would also take a serious idiot to accept all the claims being circulated by no scientific sources as gospel.

Many of the claims being made about Fukushima's impact are grossly embellished, unsubstantiated, or simply poorly misrepresented. When the majority of your "scientific" sources are recirculated articles that appear on your Facebook feed, your credibility goes down the drain. Yes it's a hugely devastating natural disaster with likely worldwide impact, no I do not believe the after effects are as grave as many of this uneducated, unqualified pleb's are preaching on their websites with no resources beyond other like minded, unqualified individuals.

edit - What a shock, overly aggressive uneducated individual simply pushing more misinformation that they haven't even taken the time to read up on themselves. I live on the Island too, day to day I encounter individuals who share such opinions as yours, and rarely are they any more educated than you yourself are.

Carry on.

10+ Year Old Account
    OFFCOURSE the water that is used to cool a radioactive reactor is going to damage wildlife. How could anyone be naive enough to believe otherwise?

The bottom line though, sadly, is that we live in a world that barely cares for wildlife. Giving a shit about species going extinct is trivial in a world where the needs of corporations outweigh the needs of animals. Just look at the Bluefin Tuna; it'll probably be extinct soon, and governments still won't agree to limit yearly fishing allowance because it brings in too much income.

Fukushima is a business, and that business is cutting losses by damaging wildlife: how often in the past has anything been done about things like this? Information is kept on the down-low, and you are more likely to read about Justin Beiber resigning than you are about the plight of the world's wildlife.

There are Polar Bears in Japan....?

Funny, and there was me thinking they were 4000 miles apart

well, ya can't necessarily blame him for being snippy while sending the links. in the time that it took from when the mod asked for links til now i pulled up 3 other sites as well. give a man a fish i they say..