Thread: Computer builds

Computer builds

I had a HP laptop that was about 5 years old. The connection to the screen broke but it runs okay. I have to connect it to a monitor to use it. I am to the point where I would much rather get something new. I would like to build a computer. My skill level is slim to non-exsistant. I was suggested Chaud's builds. I looked them up but am still a little overwhelmed. I would like to build the best computer possible for under $800 so I was looking at puppy and dolphin builds, but I have a few questions.
    Where should I spurge for better parts?
    Where can I save a little money on "puppy components"?
    What should I buy online? and what should I buy in a store?

Budget: < $800
    Resolution: unknown
    Games / Settings Desired: Mostly League of Legends preferably max video settings. Terraria occasionally.
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc): None
    Parts that can be reused: Only have a laptop with a broken screen, I do not feel comfortable in my own ability to reuse parts having never done this before.
    Do you need an OS?: Since I'm not sure what that is I am assuming no.
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?: Keyboard, Monitor, and speakers needed.

Thank you for your time! If i have asked redundant questions I apologize.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since your laptop is broken, effectively (and if you intend to scrap it after), you can likely re-use the windows license key.. But only if it's Win7 64bit. I'll put up something shortly, but I feel that you can get in well under 800.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Sweet i was hoping I would not have to purchase windows8. It is indeed windows7 64bit.
    Thank you, I appreciate your help.

10+ Year Old Account
    For the price, it's a pretty bangin system. At this point you can do one of three things (largely regarding drives, not much else can be fiddled with. Notably, you could go to a lower CPU, but you'd only save about ~$12)

1) Upgrade to a 1TB WD Black for about $25. It's a bit faster, but not necessary. Personally, I wouldn't.
    [ Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.98 @ OutletPC) ]
    2) Upgrade to a 120gb SSD for about $35. If you've been using a laptop, you may not have used much space so working with 120gb may be doable.
    [ Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.92 @ OutletPC) ]
    3) Upgrade to a 120gb SSD, and keep the 1TB Blue, which will push you to about $825. I feel this is the best option for the price.
    4) Stick with the current setup, and just save the $75. This is not a bad option.

PCPartPicker part list
    CPU: Intel Core i3-4330 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($132.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($49.99 @ Mwave)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($179.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Microcenter)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: AOC e2251Swdn 60Hz 22.0" Monitor ($110.74 @ B&H)
    Total: $723.64

EDIT: Notably, you still need mouse/keyboard/speakers, but those are usually cheap unless you really splurge, and can easily be upgraded at a later date.
    Last edited by chazus; 2014-01-05 at 03:16 AM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

So I did a bit of researching and talked with a few of my friends who have built their own computers, and they were curious as to why you were suggesting a mini-atx motherboard for a full atx-tower case.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a bit confused. The board is a MicroATX (Not to be confused with Mini ITX). The case is a standard Mid tower.

Full towers are HUGE, and there is absolutely no reason to get one. As for the MicroATX board.. There's really no difference between that and a standard ATX board, besides some more slots which you won't use.

MicroATX also sometimes doesn't have the room (or budget) for 'premium' parts, which are great for overclocking... But you aren't, so the point is moot.

Basically, if you are overclocking (4670K CPU), you make sure you have a good and proper board for it. If you aren't... There's no reason not to get the cheapest board you can from a reliable brand (MSI, Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte)

10+ Year Old Account
    @chazus build is very nice, and if you want to save even more you can get an even cheaper case, like http://pcpartpicker.com/part/thermal...ase-vl80001w2z that is 25$ less.
    Basicly the more expensive cases look 'better' but if you are not concerned about looks you can save a really good amount of cash.
    PM me weird stuff :3