Poll: How do you find Mr Bean?

Thread: Mr Bean

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zindai View Post
    It was on quite often when I was younger. It wasn't my favourite by far, but I must've been entertained, because I always stayed and watched it. Nowadays I don't enjoy it, but as others say, it's probably mostly aimed at kids. Rowan is still cool tho!
    He always has been and always will be Blackadder to me

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    I like it because I often see real life situations in it and how awkwardly he reacts to them. He sucks in close to any movie he has made though, we he sucks in all movies hes made. I can't judge on the standup comedy as I never bothered with it.

edit: do mind it's over 30 years old btw.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    It had some funny parts, but the dubbed laughter got on my nerves and was so over exaggerated.
    Can't be any worse than modern day comedy. Try watching an episode of The Big Bang Theory or Two And A Half Men and imagine the laughter not being there. Better yet, watch an episode and imagine the obnoxious laughter of Tidus from FFX instead;

Deleted
    Makes me smile time to time.

Perhaps it's because I'm a schoolteacher, but I've always had a soft spot for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    So don't wear skimpy clothes getting raped is not entirely out of your control either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    Can't be any worse than modern day comedy. Try watching an episode of The Big Bang Theory or Two And A Half Men and imagine the laughter not being there. Better yet, watch an episode and imagine the obnoxious laughter of Tidus from FFX instead;
    You don't have to twist my arm to agree with you on that, for most things anyway. Although, the Inbetweeners is one of the funniest things I've ever watched and that's only 3-4 years old. Can't beat the Naked Gun, though ;>

Deleted
    You actaully have to understand what Mr. bean really is.
    When I was young, I always thought they were just some hilarious comic sketches. As I grew older, I suddenly realized that they are way more than that: they also show the life and actions of a random middle-aged man, that has to deal with everyday life and being a mix of coward/hero/retard. He's a common "noone", struggling to go on. The fact that what he does is unbelievably humorous adds to it, but in the end you just feel a bit sad, because you realize he's just trying to survive, being himself all the time. You can see this side of the story in the way he is portrayed as extremely lonely, being left by his girlfriend, spending his holidays alone, etc.

You know you've understood Mr Bean when you actually feel an imaginary tear on your cheek. Yes, you still laugh, but he's not a simple comedian: he's to be pitied, for he's often just doing his best.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    I like it because I often see real life situations in it and how awkwardly he reacts to them. He sucks in close to any movie he has made though, we he sucks in all movies hes made. I can't judge on the standup comedy as I never bothered with it.

Deleted
    Needs more video embeds

Deleted
    Yeah, I loved it as a kid. But looking back on it, it's a bit dull now.

Quote Originally Posted by hordeslayer View Post
    theres no such thing as smart humor, that's an oxymoron.
    Yes, there is. There is also dumb humour, so there must be smart humour as well. For example, Americans have to add "NOT" to a clear sarcastic statement, otherwise they don't get the joke. Apparently sarcasm is too difficult for them so it needs to be dumbed down so even the lowest of the low still get it.

I think smart humour is the opposite of this effect, a joke that is very subtle and only the smart people will recognize the link and laugh. The dumb people will just wonder what the hell the others are laughing about.

Deleted
    You should watch Monty Pythons, one of the best comedy shows that ever existed.

Mr Bean, although I find it hilarious at times; I'm more of a fan of his other works, especially Black Adder.
    Camilla: You, sir, should unmask.
    Stranger: Indeed?
    Cassilda: Indeed, it's time. We have all laid aside disguise but you.
    Stranger: I wear no mask.
    Camilla: (Terrified, aside to Cassilda.) No mask? No mask!

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between here and the sick, twisted world inside my head
    Super Funny!
    He is part of my childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post

Each to his own, Big Bang Theory requires a certain niche of humour, having genuine interest in Gaming / Sci Fi (and pretty much any mmo gamer can relate with Howards behaviour, we're all like him somewhere inside) etc will always enhance it

Yep, if you compare it to the classics, of course it's not going to have that raw talent in comedic genius, such is Rowan Atkinson

But take nothing away from the guys at Big Bang Theory, they had to deliver to a niche/saturated market knowing what ever they did would be, just like you and so many others, compared to the classics and QQ ---- Their success speaks louder than any Hater's out there though.

Each to his own.

Absolutely loved it when I was younger and I don't really watch it anymore but I still really appreciate Mr Bean and have fond memories of it.

Also I think Rowan Atkinson is a really talented physical comedian in terms of his movement and facial expressions so I really have nothing against the show.

Deleted
    Mr Bean was dumb slapstick aimed at kids, if you want to see Rowan Atkinson at his best then watch Blackadder (maybe skip season 1).

Deleted
    If you watch Mr. Bean without the laughter track, it's a very moving drama about a man with severe learning difficulties who struggles to cope with simple everyday tasks.