Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Computer Build for Video Editing + Gaming

I was wonderin if anyone could help me build a pc that will be pretty good for video editing and for gaming. I have 1500-2000 euro budget but obviously want the cheapest outcome possible. I know fuck all from PC's nor do I know proper websites where to get good products for decent prices. I'm not lucky enough to have "geek" friends who do know a lot about PC's either so heres to hoping MMOC lads can help me out.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific, but that due me not know anything about hardware. :P

Edit:

Budget: 1500-2000 euro

Resolution: 1650x1050 (hoping to go up 1080p though.

Games / Settings Desired: Any game - very high/ultra

Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc): Video editing...sony vegas and possible Adobe After Effects.

Parts that can be reused: Maybe my 16GB of ram, not sure though.

Do you need an OS? No.

Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? No.
    Last edited by mmoc6f961e454e; 2014-01-05 at 02:22 PM.

It helps if you can provide the info from this link: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...build-Read-me!

Also this thread will be probably moved to this subforum: http://www.mmo-champion.com/forums/3...d-Upgrade-Help

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xaju View Post
    It helps if you can provide the info from this link: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...build-Read-me!

Also this thread will be probably moved to this subforum: http://www.mmo-champion.com/forums/3...d-Upgrade-Help
    Updated the post, thanks for pointing that out.

Are you going to be gaming on it at all?

Assuming not
    I would go for an i7 4820K or i7 4930K and a lower end/mid-range nVidia card for CUDA (650 Ti Boost or so), since you are considering Adobe (IDK if Sony Vegas has support for OpenCL or if it will get it, if so, r9 280x or r9 290 might be worth considering). If those are 4x4 sticks, I'd add another set, if those are 2x8, I'd add another identical set.
    Motherboard, X79 Sabertooth or P9X79 WS.
    CPU-cooler, Noctua NH-U14S
    PSU 520-620w anything Antec/Silverstone/Be Quiet!/SeaSonic
    Case, probably Fractal Design Define R4.
    Storage, 2x Western Digital Reds.
    SSD, Samsung 840 EVO 128 GB.

If you need to cut out prices, I'd do so on Graphics card.

I would then overclock it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Are you going to be gaming on it at all?

Assuming not
    I would go for an i7 4820K or i7 4930K and a lower end/mid-range nVidia card for CUDA (650 Ti Boost or so), since you are considering Adobe (IDK if Sony Vegas has support for OpenCL or if it will get it, if so, r9 280x or r9 290 might be worth considering). If those are 4x4 sticks, I'd add another set, if those are 2x8, I'd add another identical set.
    Motherboard, X79 Sabertooth or P9X79 WS.
    CPU-cooler, Noctua NH-U14S
    PSU 520-620w anything Antec/Silverstone/Be Quiet!/SeaSonic
    Case, probably Fractal Design Define R4.
    Storage, 2x Western Digital Reds.
    SSD, Samsung 840 EVO 128 GB.

If you need to cut out prices, I'd do so on Graphics card.

I would then overclock it.
    I would be gaming on it though, gaming is my primary hobby with video editing being second. I usually game MMORPG's with some shooters mixed in there.

The GPUs should hold out in MMORPGs for sure, 280X in shooters as well, I'd probably "only" go for the 4820K then.

Deleted
    Bear in mind that if you go for the R9-290, you might be able to upgrade the CPU to the i7-4930k, which is the 2011 IB-Extreme range. You might even be able to get an after-market 290, which should improve your compute times.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    Bear in mind that if you go for the R9-290, you might be able to upgrade the CPU to the i7-4930k, which is the 2011 IB-Extreme range. You might even be able to get an after-market 290, which should improve your compute times.
    Mind explaining? As I said, pretty newb when it comes to PC's.

Thanks for input so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Mind explaining? As I said, pretty newb when it comes to PC's.

Thanks for input so far!
    R9-290(Not to be confused with R9-290X!) is AMD's second best GPU currently.

The i7-4930k is the second best CPU in the market currently, if you don't count Xeon CPUs, which are for servers mostly and cost quite a bit (usually over 1500€ for the newer/better ones). The i7-4930k differs from the i7-4770k in that the i7-4930k has 6 Cores and 12 Threads total while the i7-4770k has 4 Cores and 8 Threads total.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where would you buy your parts from? So far the only i7 I found in belgium shops is 4770k and 4771
    Right so I found a good shop from .be it seems
    http://www.forcom.be
    They have the Intel 2011 i7-4930K

For cooling I believe you want to go for liquid cooling, not much of a choice in that shop and I don't have any experience with such cooling.
    Coolermaster or Corsair would be the only choice from manufacturer:
    http://www.forcom.be/componenten/koeling.html

Intel 2011 i7-4930K Artikelcode: 336891
    Wijzigen € 528,45 € 528,45 Artikel verwijderen

Asus 2011 Rampage IV Formula Artikelcode: 310666
    Wijzigen € 314,82 € 314,82 Artikel verwijderen

SSD 840 EVO 250GB SATA Basic Artikelcode: 335041
    Wijzigen € 163,30 € 163,30 Artikel verwijderen

Coolermaster elite 430 Artikelcode: 304238
    Wijzigen € 43,16 € 43,16 Artikel verwijderen

E/ VGA GF GTX770 DC2OC 2GD5 PCIE 3.0 Artikelcode: 332636
    Wijzigen € 325,10 € 325,10 Artikel verwijderen

CS650M/PSU 650W CSM series Artikelcode: 341655
    Wijzigen € 84,34 € 84,34 Artikel verwijderen

WD 3,5" sata3 1TB caviar black Artikelcode: 274259
    Wijzigen € 83,00 € 83,00

Eindtotaal € 1.542,17

If the ram you have is 4 sticks then you can use them, if it's 2 sticks you can either buy 2 more sticks (identical) bringing total to 32gb or you can still use the 2 sticks until you can find more money. You won't get quad channel with 2 sticks so it will work slower.
    I think you can also use old Optical Drive if you had one.
    Yea that shop has no r9's at all, unless you want to use a different shop or buy parts from different shops.

if you want beafier GPU you can go for
    http://www.forcom.be/asus-gtx-780-ti-3gb-gddr5.html
    but that will increase the Eindtotaal to € 1.893,86
    Last edited by Cyrops; 2014-01-06 at 07:00 AM.
    PM me weird stuff :3

Deleted
    Dammit, ForCom don't have any other quality choices on the 2011 socket. I'd also look into changing Cyrops' case, but that's more a cosmetic thing. Putting a rig like that in a CM 430 Elite case is like the Genie from Aladdin - "PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER....itty bitty living space."

10+ Year Old Account
    These are just thoughts off the top of my head, since I'm currently researching and building my own system with some similar goals in mind. =) Read if you want to learn more about the hardware you're buying.

First, clarify to everyone if you intend to build a new PC from scratch or just shove new stuff into your old PC. People need to know if you're re-using a preexisting case. You said you don't need to buy an OS — where are you getting it from? Is your current OS an OEM installation? (these are important questions, haha)

Also get CPU-Z so you can answer questions about your current PC (so people know what you're upgrading from, as well as whether any components like RAM can be re-used). CPU-Z

You don't need a 4930K if you consider video editing a secondary hobby and you're only editing footage captured from games. If you can afford it, absolutely the extra cores will be utilized during certain aspects of the editing process (encoding, preview rendering, etc), and a very few games can stretch out all the cores.

However, the cheaper i7 4770K (safely OC'd) + aftermarket CPU cooler + z87 mobo will do absolutely fine for entry-level video editing and gaming. Don't go up to 4930/2011 x79 unless you're certain that you're going to be doing a lot of serious editing/rendering. Because gaming is higher priority for you, the extra money would be better spread around other components, like a stronger GPU with more VRAM (which helps maxing settings while also helping with editing/After Effects).

Don't skimp too much on GPU if you intend to really use processing effects. After Effects CC is capable of making very good use of your GPU, and will also use dual GPUs if available (they don't need to be SLI'd but that won't hurt anything either). It also gobbles up both RAM and VRAM, so don't skimp on GPU VRAM if you can afford a 3GB or 4GB card. Also, stronger GPU will do more for you in gaming than 2 extra cores at this time (especially if you're mostly doing MMOs!).

Running "any" game on Very High / Ultra is ambitious/potentially impossible without doing SLI, since some games are basically designed to be enthusiast masturbation tools and will destroy even upper-midrange cards. Battlefield 4 Ultra can get stuck below 60 FPS under stress, even with a GTX Titan ($1000 card) and 4960X ($1000 CPU); you need SLI to push past the barrier. If you're really, really, really serious about maxing settings, seriously consider SLI and a strong PSU (power supply).

Good cooling, both for CPU and case ventilation, will do a lot for your ability to max settings because your performance will decrease as temperatures rise (your stuff will also die sooner) and overclocks are more limited. Get advice on forums for the best cooling setup for whatever case you choose. A good PSU will also do a lot for you in the long term by not stressing components and providing a reliable, stable power supply; skimping on PSU is like skimping on your heart transplant.

Lastly be careful with knowing "fuck all" about hardware, haha. Building a PC is a lot like LEGO, but you can encounter a lot of quirks, issues, and mistakes if you're not careful. You can't just buy everything at NewEgg and expect it to plug in A-B-C and work (even if that is the ideal goal). Expect some time investment and trial/error until you get familiar with everything. It's better to ask yet another question than blow $500 worth of components with a silly mistake. =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Imma gonna move dis to da Build/Upgrade subforum! Pchew!@
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrops View Post
    Where would you buy your parts from? So far the only i7 I found in belgium shops is 4770k and 4771
    Right so I found a good shop from .be it seems
    http://www.forcom.be
    They have the Intel 2011 i7-4930K

For cooling I believe you want to go for liquid cooling, not much of a choice in that shop and I don't have any experience with such cooling.
    Coolermaster or Corsair would be the only choice from manufacturer:
    http://www.forcom.be/componenten/koeling.html

Intel 2011 i7-4930K Artikelcode: 336891
    Wijzigen € 528,45 € 528,45 Artikel verwijderen

Asus 2011 Rampage IV Formula Artikelcode: 310666
    Wijzigen € 314,82 € 314,82 Artikel verwijderen

SSD 840 EVO 250GB SATA Basic Artikelcode: 335041
    Wijzigen € 163,30 € 163,30 Artikel verwijderen

Coolermaster elite 430 Artikelcode: 304238
    Wijzigen € 43,16 € 43,16 Artikel verwijderen

E/ VGA GF GTX770 DC2OC 2GD5 PCIE 3.0 Artikelcode: 332636
    Wijzigen € 325,10 € 325,10 Artikel verwijderen

CS650M/PSU 650W CSM series Artikelcode: 341655
    Wijzigen € 84,34 € 84,34 Artikel verwijderen

WD 3,5" sata3 1TB caviar black Artikelcode: 274259
    Wijzigen € 83,00 € 83,00

Eindtotaal € 1.542,17

If the ram you have is 4 sticks then you can use them, if it's 2 sticks you can either buy 2 more sticks (identical) bringing total to 32gb or you can still use the 2 sticks until you can find more money. You won't get quad channel with 2 sticks so it will work slower.
    I think you can also use old Optical Drive if you had one.
    Yea that shop has no r9's at all, unless you want to use a different shop or buy parts from different shops.

if you want beafier GPU you can go for
    http://www.forcom.be/asus-gtx-780-ti-3gb-gddr5.html
    but that will increase the Eindtotaal to € 1.893,86
    I'm prob be buying it somewhere else in europe though, Belgium is fucking insane when it comes to PC prices. I remember Germany being pretty decent with prices in the past. i'l prob order all componenents seperatly and then let some PC shop build it for me for 40 euros. I rather have it done by people who know their stuff.

Does anyone have anything specific to add to this list (next to the people already posted (great input, loving the support!)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lovestar View Post
    These are just thoughts off the top of my head, since I'm currently researching and building my own system with some similar goals in mind. =) Read if you want to learn more about the hardware you're buying.

First, clarify to everyone if you intend to build a new PC from scratch or just shove new stuff into your old PC. People need to know if you're re-using a preexisting case. You said you don't need to buy an OS — where are you getting it from? Is your current OS an OEM installation? (these are important questions, haha)

Also get CPU-Z so you can answer questions about your current PC (so people know what you're upgrading from, as well as whether any components like RAM can be re-used). CPU-Z

You don't need a 4930K if you consider video editing a secondary hobby and you're only editing footage captured from games. If you can afford it, absolutely the extra cores will be utilized during certain aspects of the editing process (encoding, preview rendering, etc), and a very few games can stretch out all the cores.

However, the cheaper i7 4770K (safely OC'd) + aftermarket CPU cooler + z87 mobo will do absolutely fine for entry-level video editing and gaming. Don't go up to 4930/2011 x79 unless you're certain that you're going to be doing a lot of serious editing/rendering. Because gaming is higher priority for you, the extra money would be better spread around other components, like a stronger GPU with more VRAM (which helps maxing settings while also helping with editing/After Effects).

Don't skimp too much on GPU if you intend to really use processing effects. After Effects CC is capable of making very good use of your GPU, and will also use dual GPUs if available (they don't need to be SLI'd but that won't hurt anything either). It also gobbles up both RAM and VRAM, so don't skimp on GPU VRAM if you can afford a 3GB or 4GB card. Also, stronger GPU will do more for you in gaming than 2 extra cores at this time (especially if you're mostly doing MMOs!).

Running "any" game on Very High / Ultra is ambitious/potentially impossible without doing SLI, since some games are basically designed to be enthusiast masturbation tools and will destroy even upper-midrange cards. Battlefield 4 Ultra can get stuck below 60 FPS under stress, even with a GTX Titan ($1000 card) and 4960X ($1000 CPU); you need SLI to push past the barrier. If you're really, really, really serious about maxing settings, seriously consider SLI and a strong PSU (power supply).

Good cooling, both for CPU and case ventilation, will do a lot for your ability to max settings because your performance will decrease as temperatures rise (your stuff will also die sooner) and overclocks are more limited. Get advice on forums for the best cooling setup for whatever case you choose. A good PSU will also do a lot for you in the long term by not stressing components and providing a reliable, stable power supply; skimping on PSU is like skimping on your heart transplant.

Lastly be careful with knowing "fuck all" about hardware, haha. Building a PC is a lot like LEGO, but you can encounter a lot of quirks, issues, and mistakes if you're not careful. You can't just buy everything at NewEgg and expect it to plug in A-B-C and work (even if that is the ideal goal). Expect some time investment and trial/error until you get familiar with everything. It's better to ask yet another question than blow $500 worth of components with a silly mistake. =)
    I really often turn things like shadows to low compared to other settings. Shadows usually gain me 20-30 framerates. The cooling issue is a good point you bring up, every PC I have (as the current one) seems to be having cooling issues.

About the editing I was limited to atm due my shitty pc is this https://www.youtube.com/user/AndyMeesProductionss I want to do more, but since Sony Vegas usually crashes as soon as I use a second layer it was close to impossible to try a lot of new stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    OT: damn europe sucks for parts, all but UK have crap/no parts ...

I had to use UK just so that it would have parts available.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£250.43 @ Ebuyer)
    Motherboard: Asus Z87-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£143.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£119.00 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£113.38 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) (£260.99 @ Dabs)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) (£260.99 @ Dabs)
    Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case (£94.20 @ Aria PC)
    Power Supply: Zalman 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£94.50 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£13.18 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Total: £1350.65
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-06 09:27 GMT+0000)

around 1625.25 euro

Or you can wait for 290x non-referenance, and maybe ditch dual-gpu.
    I don't really see a huge difference game play wise from "ultra" to "super ultra" other than bragging rights.
    PM me weird stuff :3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrops View Post
    OT: damn europe sucks for parts, all but UK have crap/no parts ...

I had to use UK just so that it would have parts available.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£250.43 @ Ebuyer)
    Motherboard: Asus Z87-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£143.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£119.00 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£113.38 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case (£94.20 @ Aria PC)
    Power Supply: Zalman 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£94.50 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£13.18 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Total: £1350.65
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-06 09:27 GMT+0000)

around 1625.25 euro

Or you can wait for 290x non-referenance, and maybe ditch dual-gpu.
    I don't really see a huge difference game play wise from "ultra" to "super ultra" other than bragging rights.
    Didn't even know super ultra was around, theres a notible difference between very high and ultra though. Well for some settings at least...thanks for posting, I'l be checking these out! Gotta go to work now so I'l see back later. Thanks again!

1) I don't recommend anyone to start with dual GPU.
    2) 250 GB SSD but only one mechanical? If one is video-editting, having lots of raw/uncompressed footage, I'd get two-three mechanical to RAID1 or RAID5. Preferrably WD Reds.
    3) Z87 is a good platform, truly (I use it myself) but if one is serious with video editting and have the budget for it, x79 is just that much better for the higher memory bandwidth which matters here. Whether one goes 4820K or 4930K.
    4) The GTX 770 is a poor recommendation today, price/performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Didn't even know super ultra was around, theres a notible difference between very high and ultra though. Well for some settings at least...thanks for posting, I'l be checking these out! Gotta go to work now so I'l see back later. Thanks again!
    Super Ultra can be considered as AA/AF maxed or Super Sampling. Rarely people max out AA since it tanks FPS quite heavily at not much of a noticeable difference unless you really pay attention to the edges.

I would recommend that you order your parts from http://www.hardwareversand.de/ they have a large stock of products, good prices and they only charge €10 shipping to Belgium.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    Sarac do us a favor and run CPU-Z and post the results of each tab (links to screenshots is fine).

Recommending what your upgrade should be would be helped a lot by seeing what you're currently using. This will give us an idea of where you are probably bottlenecking while video editing; it would be a shame to recommend 'upgrades' that are actually sidegrades, for example.

We can argue with each other about you 'need' all day but without a starting reference point it's mostly handwaving and conjecture. =)

If you know the answers to the following it would also be helpful (we can explain where to find this info if you don't know):
    • How many hard drives your current system has.
    • The size of each drive.
    • The speed (5400 RPM, 7200 RPM, etc.) of each drive.
    • The connection each drive is using (SATA, USB, etc.)

Again, I'm trying to narrow down where your particular editing style is being bottlenecked right now since that will influence what kind of system you should build.
    Last edited by Lovestar; 2014-01-06 at 09:07 PM.