Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think, "That's a snazzy lookin' fella." I don't judge. I'm awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkinfinity View Post
    If I see someone overdressed just doing some grocery shopping or w/e, all I think is; why oh why? Are they so uncomfortable just being themselves? Same thing for women who wear make-up only to go to the post office.
    Maybe that is what it means to be themselves, just as for others a buttonup is replaced with a metallica tshirt and the shoes with skateboarding flats.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Jeans are NOT business casual. Business casual for men is a nice polo shirt or button up shirt, and docker type pants. Jeans are flat out casual, if not sloppy
    Business casual is whatever your employer defines it to be. My employer says jeans are business casual.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm only slightly shocked of all of the superficial responses.

Quite amusing to be honest.

As nerds, geeks and freaks, We should be the least judgmental of all people. We are the ones who have been ridiculed for not conforming to the social norm. Yet we judge? Hypocritical i'd say.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pitkanen View Post
    Maybe that is what it means to be themselves, just as for others a buttonup is replaced with a metallica tshirt and the shoes with skateboarding flats.
    Exactly. My roommate wears a button down with a tie and dress pants just about everyday. He doesn't work in an office, He is a sideshow performer. But he likes to look his best at all times a look a bit classy. However, he is one of the most Metal guys I have ever met. Not because of his looks, but what is underneath it all.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Deleted
    Topics like this ... no wonder society is going to shit. Who cares, I thought people in USA pride themselves with their freedom? According to a topic like this, it seems like you're running a Military Regime, who's to say what's casual and what's not in a free country?

10+ Year Old Account
    preffer them to saggy pants around ankles and t-shirt clearly made from whole bed sheet...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Endre View Post
    Topics like this ... no wonder society is going to shit. Who cares, I thought people in USA pride themselves with their freedom? According to a topic like this, it seems like you're running a Military Regime, who's to say what's casual and what's not in a free country?
    You can still have a free country and have different types of dress. Things like casual, smart casual, business casual, smart, black tie, etc etc are like music genres. They exist to make life easier for everyone. So that when you ask "What's the dress code?" People can say "Casual" or "black tie" or "smart" and you know what they mean, instead of them having to list off all acceptable items of clothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Business casual everyday except Sunday when I go to church. I wear jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Jeans are NOT business casual. Business casual for men is a nice polo shirt or button up shirt, and docker type pants. Jeans are flat out casual, if not sloppy
    A decent pair of Jeans+Button up shirt and vest can be considered Business casual if worn appropriately. The only thing that breaks the looks is the Converse. While I love my Converse, that is already a dressed up casual.

I have a huge problem with Dockers, especially as they are understood in the US. Huge baggy pants that look moronic. Tho a pair of slim fit Dockers are alright.

Polo shirts are a complete no go, unless you happen to be playing golf or polo. Also most American shirts are way to baggy for their own good.

who's to say what's casual and what's not in a free country
    The corporations that truly run the country, and that's not a snarky comeback, it's true. If you have a job, you have an employer or customer that defines what you are and aren't (or should or shouldn't be depending on the customer/ client) allowed to wear. If you want to make money you are required to adhere to certain dress codes depending on where you work.

Business casual is highly dependant on who you work for, but all agree that a polo shirt or button up top is fine (basicaly anything with a collar on it).

Polo shirts are a complete no go, unless you happen to be playing golf or polo.
    Not sure what you mean, but there are hundreds of employers that have polos as part of their uniform. Polo shirts are a staple in "business casual" attire where I am.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Clearly you've never worked anywhere considered "out west".
    I do, and the professional circles here agree with him. The standard of what is business casual vs. what isn't doesnt change based on region. What is acceptable in certain situations does however. Business casual is the same, everywhere (business dress, aka a suit but more casual, without a tie) if you take anything else away from a suit, it is no longer a suit.

Deleted
    I think they're boring people.. no offense. It applies to everyone who wears an "uniform" or the same style boring outdated clothing all the time. It's even worse when they have these easy to maintain very neutral and "correct" haircuts too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    I think they're boring people.. no offense. It applies to everyone who wears an "uniform" or the same style boring outdated clothing all the time. It's even worse when they have these easy to maintain very neutral and "correct" haircuts too.
    Lawyers and pretty much everyone working with Law is dressed like that. Should we all go to court in baggy sweats and a hoodie? Get a grip. Besides, bitches love suits.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dropped by again to see if anyone sensible joined, it seems not.

Why does the way someone else concern you? Some random dude at the super market in a dress shirt, slacks and a pair of converse is as normal as the dude wearing a tee shirt and jeans.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkinfinity View Post
    I rather see the opposite. To me, overdressed ppl try to be someone they're not. Trying to hard.

I agree that with certain jobs you need to dress appropriate but only during work hours. If I don't have to wear fancy clothes, I wont wear them. I''m more comfortable in my black Vans with purple laces... And if ppl think I'm underdressed, then well...I honestly don't care

If I see someone overdressed just doing some grocery shopping or w/e, all I think is; why oh why? Are they so uncomfortable just being themselves? Same thing for women who wear make-up only to go to the post office.

Looking decent is fine. But please don't overdo it.

I actually work somewhere that requires business casual Monday through Thursday, with Friday being casual day for jeans. The reason a lot of people dress B.C consistently (work, home and play) is because when you spend so much time tuning your wardrobe around what you wear at work it becomes the norm. I'm not saying I'll grocery shop in a tailored suit, but if I need to stop by to pick something up after work I have no issues with that. So yeah, I am usually that "guy" in a suit at the grocery store. I don't know why, but people treat you differently when you're wearing a suit. Especially employees. I guess some people like that, me I don't favor attention.

Before working in a business environment, I loved things like Jordans, vans and attire like crooks and castles and what not. Now I found myself dressing in some chinos, and a button up sometimes tucked in sometimes left out. I only wear a tie Monday through Thursday though.

However, the big issue is dry cleaning.
    When you have 10 $80+ button ups, you can't actually risk washing them at home. Otherwise they might shrink, some probably have modifications on them from the tailor, which costs a bit too and washing will sometimes ruin your modifications. So you have to take this stuff to the dry cleaners. Which is like 4-5 bucks per shirt, and like 6 dollars per pair of pants. Suits are 2-3x the cost of that base charge too. I'm glad I don't smoke cigs anymore, cause I was spending SO much a month on dry cleaning every week it was getting ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Don't come around my area then.
    Jeans are definitely not sloppy, and you'd be grateful to see people with jeans on. Quite a few people walk around in PJ's here.
    So the business casual person definitely looks out of place, which is odd for me because I have to walk to work in it.
    Wearing clothing is not the same as wearing a specific type of clothing. Yeah, people wear jeans. No, jeans are not covered by "business casual." Unless talking to some ignorant fool on a message forum, it's pretty much the only universally accepted aspect about business casual: No jeans and no athletic wear.

Your inability to grasp the difference, or even know that there is a difference, says more about you than it does the rest of the world.

We dress like we're doing laundry here.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    How do I feel about it? I feel that some people care way too much about how others choose to dress, wear their hair, or what kind of shoes they walk around in.

I do smart casual all week. I like the way it looks, and I get better treatment from other people than when I'm in a t-shirt and sneakers. The shirts are also lighter than t-shirts despite the extra coverage on the sleeves, so it's more comfortable in the summer.

It's too hot for vests most of the year. If it wasn't, I'd probably wear one because I like the way I look in them.

I generally assume that people who overdress either have emotional issues or just suck.