Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Port and Madeira wine are both excellent choices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Impossible to suggest.

Wine is one of those things that takes time to develop a taste for. Whatever you try you will likely not like it espcially considering that you haven't drank much before.

With that said, wine newbies typically like sweet wine and eventually graduate to whites such as riesling or pinot gris. True wine drinkers strictly drink red with an occasional white for a summer picnic.

But if you want to go in head first; I suggest going to your local trader joes and buying a 10 dollar bottle of any red and see how it treats you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortun View Post
    Port and Madeira wine are both excellent choices.
    They are fortified wines, they are intended to be drinked before or after meals, like any other liquor, and not during the meals.
    A normal wine is around 13% alchool, a fortified wine is around 18%.

My sugestion, if the OP wants to drink wine during meals, goes for green wine, goes really well during hot days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Look at all this uncultured peasants. Mocking wine... simpletons...

I fancy myself just about anything from the Oliver winery. However, I'm not certain you can get that outside of Indiana. But I may well be wrong.

Deleted
    okay, thats hillarious. And true.

Whats the word?

Thunderbird!!

Nothing tears you up like Cisco red though.

Moscato is the best for people who dont really drink wine

I'm 21 and almost never drink
    Then you don't need a good wine.

i love moscato the only wine i like

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakura Chambers View Post
    I'm going to a convention next month and I hope to make this my weekend get away. I really feel like I need a break, since every day is the same for me. I go to work and then I go to school. Even spending time with friends on my days off feels monotonous, as it's always the same thing; play video games and crash on the couch.

I really hope this to be a change of pace for me, so I plan on getting a hotel room at this anime con. I'm 21 and almost never drink, so I figured I'd change things up and get myself some nice, good wine to go with my "vacation." I'm not looking to get drunk, just to have a nice, high class, enjoyable glass or two of wine. My price range is more along the lines of $60 or less (preferably less). Anyone have any recommendations?

I enjoy wine immensely and my girlfriend and I like to vacation in the Okanagan valley in BC as its the closest wine making region to where we live. We host our own wine club and have likely tired nearly 500 different wines of varying varietals and regions around the world.

Out of all the commonly found wines I would say one of the best red wines we have had is the Malbec from Luigi Bosca (its about 25$ here in Canada). The Argentinian Malbecs are, in my opinion, the best in the world. As for white, we like the Canadian Okanagan whites for they are generally dry as we do not like sweet whites (like what you would get in Germany for example). If you can get a dry Riesling from 2012 from the okanagan you are in for a treat. You can have it with food (chicken, fish, cheese or vegetarian are all good) or without and can just sip it like a patio wine. But what makes 2012 so unique from that area is that the unusual weather affected the grapes to give a subtle green apple flavour. If you can find Grey Monk, Quails Gate or Dirty Laundry brands of this Riesling you will be all set (around 20$ CAD)

Good luck!

p.s. red wine is always delicious with chocolate. If you are having trouble with reds, just have some chocolate in your mouth with each sip. Bonus? you get to eat chocolate!

10+ Year Old Account
    lurking in the bushes outside of your window.
    i've found yellow tail to be pretty good, i love purple toad, but that's more of a regional wine.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're looking for a simple red, try: http://www.ourdailyred.com/ . As a rule of thumb, don't spend more than $20 a bottle - you likely won't notice any difference between a decent cheap wine and an expensive one. (Personally, I doubt that anyone actually notices the difference.)
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    If you're looking for a simple red, try: http://www.ourdailyred.com/ . As a rule of thumb, don't spend more than $20 a bottle - you likely won't notice any difference between a decent cheap wine and an expensive one. (Personally, I doubt that anyone actually notices the difference.)
    Oh, you certainly can notice the difference. But it takes years of training and drinking literally tens of hundreds of wines. It's kind of like being a master chef. You can become famous for dishes which took you years to perfect, but most people are going to be happier with chili mac.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Oh, you certainly can notice the difference. But it takes years of training and drinking literally tens of hundreds of wines. It's kind of like being a master chef. You can become famous for dishes which took you years to perfect, but most people are going to be happier with chili mac.
    Or it's just people fooling themselves:
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...ience-analysis
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

The best thing you can do is try to find a few wine tastings ahead of time, and get an idea of what you like. It should at least be able to point you to if you like or don't like certain things, which can help you avoid spending money on glasses or bottles of wine you don't really like. You can often find deals for these on groupon and the like.

Of course, it also depends on what you plan on doing. Are you planning on just ordering a glass, nursing it at the bar to look sophisticated? Or will you be trying to match it up with the foods you are eating? There are plenty of guides you can find for what type of wine you should have with each kind of food, if that's the case. If you are just trying to impress people, well, then does it really matter? Don't buy the most expensive bottle in that case. Go for either the top end of your range, or the third most expensive. Just to make a point that you have the money, but you aren't trying to show off.

If you are at a fancier place with a sommelier, ask them to recommend something. For example, you can say to them "I'm looking for a nice pinot in the $40 range. What would you recommend?" It's their job to be knowledgeable, and to try and make you happy with the selection.

Personally, I just drink what I like, and if people laugh, so what. I'll drink my godmother, my frozen raspberry margarita, or my wallabydarned in happiness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    Or it's just people fooling themselves:
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...ience-analysis
    Well hot damn. I'll believe it. Some of my favorite wines cost $7 a bottle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well unless you're having guests over or happen to have a wine bottle vacuum seal (which I kinda doubt), you probably aren't going to finish a bottle of wine in one go.. and you usually want to. Wine has significant vulnerability to oxidation. Also, if you don't know you like wine, much less the color, sweetness level, acidity, or (easiest to go with for beginners) grape, you don't want a 60 dollar bottle of wine. You don't even want a 20 bottle dollar of wine. Look for a simple 8 dollar bottle.

For specific types, I'd suggest a red first. With lower quality wines, I've found the red to be a bit more preferable, and they're quite easy to enjoy. I'd suggest looking for pinot noir or merlot.

But as I said, if you're looking for something to enjoy to change things up, try cider. It's a nice intermediary between nonalcoholic drinks and mixed drinks/beer, and you can get really good types. I suggest angry orchard, or failing that, woodchuck.
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2014-01-07 at 12:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.wine.com/V6/Hall-Napa-Val...ion:FromSearch

This wine is smooth, very easy to drink if you have never drank wine before.

If you want some lower priced wines check out this site, http://www.reversewinesnob.com his recommendations are pretty good.
    Last edited by aztr0; 2014-01-07 at 12:33 AM.