Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Has anyone successfully cooked a decent meal in a microwave for more than an hour?

I have this thing about not using the microwave for more than 5 minutes. Ill never cook a full meal. My burritos say 2.5 minutes i leave them there for 3.5 minutes just in case. IDK its just what I do. Anyways I was looking on the back of a lasagna box and it says to leave it in the microwave for like an hour. That just sounds like trouble BUT i could be wrong. So my question is, have any of you successfully made a decent dinner utilizing a microwave for an hour or more? Tried and failed? Or wont even try it? What was it like?

Deleted
    An hour in the microwave? Never heard of such a thing unless defrosting, even then I prefer to let things defrost in cold water.

are you sure its not an hour in the oven? most premade lasagnas can both be made in the oven and in the microwave. but the times for those are usualy around 15 ish min in the microwave.

in any case, make yer own lasagna, beats pre made any day xD

Deleted
    Are you sure you didnt read the wrong bit? an hour will likely result in a fire not cooked food!

10+ Year Old Account
    "decent meal" and "microwave" dosnt fit in one sentence, its good for heating up leftovers, thats it.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xcureanddisease View Post
    I have this thing about not using the microwave for more than 5 minutes. Ill never cook a full meal. My burritos say 2.5 minutes i leave them there for 3.5 minutes just in case. IDK its just what I do. Anyways I was looking on the back of a lasagna box and it says to leave it in the microwave for like an hour. That just sounds like trouble BUT i could be wrong. So my question is, have any of you successfully made a decent dinner utilizing a microwave for an hour or more? Tried and failed? Or wont even try it? What was it like?
    No way it said leave it in the microwave for a hour.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have tried to microwave one of those frozen dinners for the 15 minutes or so it says that they should be microwaved. It was too hot to eat and it was burnt. Now when I use the microwave, I use it for about two minutes each go, so as to not burn the food, or overheat it.
    Zhezl - Level 90 Mistweaver Monk.
    Do you really not know anything about how businesses run? What, do you think Blizz is ran by 30 people - 15 of them are working on WoW, 10 of them on SC2, 4 on Diablo, and a retarded donkey worked on this app for a few months? Do you also think that hamsters power their servers and when they get tired, all the servers crash?

10+ Year Old Account
    Let me rephrase:: 25 minutes, then rotate dish and heat for 10 minutes. then rotate and heat for 5 minutes. then let stand for 10. FINE it wasn't an hour but damn near close.

It's easy.

the 1 hour is ment for the Oven function.
    If you use the microwave for over 1 hour it will be burned to a crisp

also why do ppl always turn to the microwave?
    use a pan instead?
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4...4841599821.jpg the boy that will forever be named the HHD wiper. R.I.P

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xcureanddisease View Post
    Let me rephrase:: 25 minutes, then rotate dish and heat for 10 minutes. then rotate and heat for 5 minutes. then let stand for 10. FINE it wasn't an hour but damn near close.

That sounds much better, and from frozen it sounds about right.

So to answer your question yes that should be fine.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Don't make meals in the microwave.. Here I'll give you my jambalaya recipe so you can have something easy and healthy. I make mine in a cast iron dutch oven pan. All of it is done in one pan so cleanup is much easier.

Jambalaya
    Prep time 17 minutes
    Cook time 30 minutes
    4-5 servings

Ingredients
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    1 ½ cups diced Andouille sausage
    ¼ cup diced onion
    ¼ cup diced bell pepper
    ¼ cup diced celery
    1 clove garlic, chopped
    1 ½ cup diced chicken
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
    2 cups parboiled long grain white rice
    2 cups tomato sauce
    2 cups chicken stock
    1 tablespoon hotsauce (optional)
    Salt and pepper
    Shrimp

instructions
    Melt butter in a medium pot over medium heat. Add sausage, onion, bell pepper, celery, and garli, and sauté until sausage begins to brown (5-8 minutes).
    Add the chicken and allow to brown on all sieds
    Add the herbs and rice, followed by tomato sauce, chicken stock, hot sauce, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook uncovered until rice is tender (20-25 minutes) stirring occasionally. Add shrimp and allow to simmer until pink.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've cooked those frozen lasagna meals in the microwave before. But aside from that, no, never gone that far. I prefer to cook all of our meals by hand. It's only on really shitty days that I'll do something frozen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesftw View Post
    "decent meal" and "microwave" dosnt fit in one sentence, its good for heating up leftovers, thats it.
    This, nothing decent can come of microwave. I only use it to heat leftovers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Still, even if you ignore the that, the hijab is a serious safety concern.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    So what? If I got to decide I'd take Stalin's path regarding religion.

One time my uncle put his coffee in the microwave. He meant to hit one minute and walked away. He accidentally hit an hour. The plastic tray that rotates the food melted and fused with the bottom.

Long story short, don't put anything in the microwave for an hour.
    Is this where the header goes?

you must have some warm hands there Dar.

I wouldn't leave something in the microwave for 1hr, the middle would be like magma even if it were frozen at first. 1hr sounds like the oven time to me. infact i've cooked a few lasagne from frozen (oven) and i'm sure its usually 45-50mins from frozen gas mark 5 or 6.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2014-01-06 at 05:48 PM.

I am happy to report I do not own a microwave. I've done the past three years without it, and it's just great.

But no; don't cook things in a microwave. It makes things taste bad.

Deleted
    If you want to cook things use a Pot if you want to bake things use a Oven if you want to reheat something use a microwave.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Don't make meals in the microwave.. Here I'll give you my jambalaya recipe so you can have something easy and healthy. I make mine in a cast iron dutch oven pan. All of it is done in one pan so cleanup is much easier.

Jambalaya
    Prep time 17 minutes
    Cook time 30 minutes
    4-5 servings

Ingredients
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    1 ½ cups diced Andouille sausage
    ¼ cup diced onion
    ¼ cup diced bell pepper
    ¼ cup diced celery
    1 clove garlic, chopped
    1 ½ cup diced chicken
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
    2 cups parboiled long grain white rice
    2 cups tomato sauce
    2 cups chicken stock
    1 tablespoon hotsauce (optional)
    Salt and pepper
    Shrimp

instructions
    Melt butter in a medium pot over medium heat. Add sausage, onion, bell pepper, celery, and garli, and sauté until sausage begins to brown (5-8 minutes).
    Add the chicken and allow to brown on all sieds
    Add the herbs and rice, followed by tomato sauce, chicken stock, hot sauce, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook uncovered until rice is tender (20-25 minutes) stirring occasionally. Add shrimp and allow to simmer until pink.
    I seriously doubt, based on his question, he is going to have anything on that list...maybe the salt and pepper. Spaghetti from scratch would be easier than what you listed and at least stays in the Italian food theme of things.

OT: Yeah I never microwave anything except popcorn and occasionally reheat things. I'm even picky about what I will reheat in the micro vs the oven or stove top. Good Luck with your meal!.

Quote Originally Posted by Juliana View Post
    I seriously doubt, based on his question, he is going to have anything on that list...maybe the salt and pepper. Spaghetti from scratch would be easier than what you listed and at least stays in the Italian food theme of things.

OT: Yeah I never microwave anything except popcorn and occasionally reheat things. I'm even picky about what I will reheat in the micro vs the oven or stove top. Good Luck with your meal!.
    Do they not have grocery stores in your part or his part of the country? I mean honestly none of this is expensive.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bobumon View Post
    Are you sure you didnt read the wrong bit? an hour will likely result in a fire not cooked food!
    You know, there is a switch in front panel of micro which lets you choose the power? An hour, or any amount of microwaving, will likely results a fucking horrible lasagna..