Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I think you would need one of those convection hybrids.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Juliana View Post
    I seriously doubt, based on his question, he is going to have anything on that list...maybe the salt and pepper. Spaghetti from scratch would be easier than what you listed and at least stays in the Italian food theme of things.

OT: Yeah I never microwave anything except popcorn and occasionally reheat things. I'm even picky about what I will reheat in the micro vs the oven or stove top. Good Luck with your meal!.
    I actually have a pretty good diet. I only drink water, and i eat burritos and put lasagna in there as an example. If you want pictures, id be more than glad to post them -_- . Needless to say you completely missed the point of my topic.

OT : Thanks for the recipe. I shall try it. If anyone has recipes to add, please do so. Im getting tired of the same food.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    The longest I've gone is 15 minutes for those Uncle Ben's rice packages. Turns out pretty good. Other than that, I just use it for reheating or speed defrosting a piece of meat.

----Has anyone successfully cooked a decent meal in a microwave for more than an hour? ----

My mother use to cook roasts, chickens and even small turkeys in the microwave. It was back in the late 1980's, and I'm not sure if it was any run of the mill microwave. I remember it was advertised as being able to cook such meats had a temperature probe you could stick in the bird to measure the internal temperature as it cooked. The results were a bit hit or miss, you tended to get really dried out spots and other spots that were undercooked.

My wife makes roasted chicken in the microwave, and the cook time on that is around 30 minutes. She has a special container for it, and it always comes out juicy and awesome.

Cooking things in the microwave from Frozen on max power for 30+ minutes though? Not likely to end well >_>
    Chiqaboom / Proudmoore-US

10+ Year Old Account
    -Has anyone successfully cooked a decent meal in a microwave for more than an hour? -

Anything you can cook on a stove or in an oven, I can whip up in a microwave, except cakes and make bread rise. There are microwave plastic covers that you can buy from Walmart, K-mart, etc., to put over your food as you cook. Helps when making meatloafs, roasted chicken, pork chops, etc. You might cook something for an hour, but not straight through -- 25 minute intervals to keep from drying out. I cook full meals by stacking some of them separately on top of each other -- meat, starch, veggie -- little rice pudding for dessert.

Anything with a skin, pierce it. Can even make boil eggs in mine.

Update: everything depends on how many watts you're cooking with.
    -I lost 6 million of my best friends because of Cataclysm. I will NEVER forgive Blizz for that.
    -There ain't enough tequila in the universe to forget the insanity I experienced with Mists of Pandaria.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by N-7 View Post
    This, nothing decent can come of microwave.
    But I have this fantastic recipe:

http://homiegfunk.com/Fark/recipe01.jpg

Yeah, seriously OP - an hour in a microwave ain't right. You either misunderstood or it's a typo or it's a joke.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    lurking in the bushes outside of your window.
    i use one with that little spin thingie in it, so i don't have to turn the stuff. I've cooked many tv type dinners and tons of other stuff. It's not as good as home made, not meant to be.

The hungry man stuff always ends up turning out great, if i can remember to pull out the brownie after 5-10 minutes. pretty good really.

I cook pasta for about 10mins thats longest I keep anything in the microwave.

"decent meal" and "microwave" dosnt fit in one sentence
    That's not true. There are plenty of very good recipes for microwave oven.

Making lasagna box or buritos in microwave surely cannot be called decent food.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Simple Answer is yes, it can be done. But I wouldn't do it.

There are instructions out there to cook a Turkey in a Microwave. And it takes several hours. The thing is the turkey will taste terrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xcureanddisease View Post
    I have this thing about not using the microwave for more than 5 minutes. Ill never cook a full meal. My burritos say 2.5 minutes i leave them there for 3.5 minutes just in case. IDK its just what I do. Anyways I was looking on the back of a lasagna box and it says to leave it in the microwave for like an hour. That just sounds like trouble BUT i could be wrong. So my question is, have any of you successfully made a decent dinner utilizing a microwave for an hour or more? Tried and failed? Or wont even try it? What was it like?
    If skeptical then check it off and on. Some stuff just takes a lot longer. Look at rice, darn stuff can take forever.

If anything, even if you don't go full microwave, then maybe it would cut oven time down a lot?

10+ Year Old Account
    I did this once. But in stages.

Place popcorn inside for 3 min...trow it out and give it to friends....trow inside another popcorn...do this 20 times and whola...you cooked for one hour.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Also here are instructions for Stouffer Lasagna.

Quote Originally Posted by Stouffers
    Instructions
    For food safety and quality, read and follow these COOKING INSTRUCTIONS to ensure that product reaches an internal temperatufe of 165°F. Cooking time may vary based on equipment and quantity cooked in equipment. Check for doneness using a thermometer.
    CONVECTION OVEN 325°F (Preheated): Cook Frozen (0°F) product for 1 hour and 20-25 minutes/Thawed (40°F or less) product for 50-55 minutes. Tent lid. Place tray on a baking sheet. Remove lid during last 10-15 minutes.
    CONVENTIONAL OVEN 400°F (Preheated): Cook Frozen (0°F) product 1 hour and 50-55 minutes/Thawed (40°F or less) product for 55-60 minutes. Tent lid. Place tray on a baking sheet. Remove lid during last 10-15 minutes.
    COMBI OVEN 350°F Full Fan (Preheated): Cook Frozen (0°F) product 35-40 minutes/Thawed (40°F or less) product 30-35 minutes. Tent lid. Place tray on baking sheet.
    MICROWAVE OVEN 1100 watt: Cook 8 oz. Thawed (40°F or less) product 50% power for 4 to 4-1/2 minutes. Cook loosely covered in a microwave-safe container.
    NOTE: Product must be cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F. Let stand 10-15 minutes before serving. For optimal crispness of breadcrumb topping, hold on steamtable uncovered. If thawing, product must be thawed under refrigeration (40°F) for no more than 48 hours prior to cooking. DO NOT REFREEZE.
    I will point out the only pure microwave instructions they give are from defrosted.

10+ Year Old Account
    1 hour in the microwave will completely roast anything you put in it.

You don't want to even attempt that.
    Not only that but your microwave will be dead, the metal wires inside will fry when the food you're cooking dries out.

Those party size stouffers lasagnas take like an hour. Ive done it many times. No problems here.

Don't put metal in the science oven.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    If the package says 2.5m and you do 3.5m... you must have a really old microwave. I too love those microwave burritos and in my microwave, at full power, 1.25m is more then enough to burn the holy bajesus out of my mouth. I have tried some meals in the microwave instead of the oven. The results are what you expect, sub-par compared to oven. But if you are hungry in NOW, and can't wait 45min - 1hr, 25min or less in the microwave sounds like a good idea. Good idea, but not great tasting.

Give and take.

Quote Originally Posted by N-7 View Post
    This, nothing decent can come of microwave. I only use it to heat leftovers.
    Sure you can. This is how I lived when I was at school: http://www.buzzfeed.com/arielknutson...nacks-in-a-mug

That's just the beginning.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesftw View Post
    "decent meal" and "microwave" dosnt fit in one sentence, its good for heating up leftovers, thats it.
    This, whats wrong with using a stove/oven?