Page 1 of 18
... LastLast

Should you have to pay for your own rape kit?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sarah-..._b_203212.html

http://www.reddit.com/r/WTF/comments...im_to_receive/

If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be appointed for you.

If you cannot afford to visit a hospital to have a rape kit performed, what then?
    Last edited by AndaliteBandit; 2014-01-06 at 07:07 PM.

Deleted
    er...

In Europe it's met with payment from the Police, NHS, or various other women's charities.

In the states i'd assume it's insurance related....?

But no, you shouldn't have to.

10+ Year Old Account
    No one should be forced to pay $4000 (or any amount) because of someone else's sick brutality.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    No one should be forced to pay $4000 (or any amount) because of someone else's sick brutality.
    Unless...they're making a false accusation. Then they should totally have to pay for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

Deleted
    W t actual f

Yes they should have to pay. We're not living in a free world. Someone gotta pay.

Um, isn't a rape kit a set of tools used to collect evidence and not a medical procedure?
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    No one should have to pay unless false accusation, then they should.
    But really....this topic, it's so much happiness and sunshine...
    Can we take a break from 'sick shit that depresses everyone'?
    Don't we get enough of it on the news?
    Someone fast, throw us an uplifting science story!
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Yes they should have to pay. We're not living in a free world. Someone gotta pay.
    My sides.

At least in the U.K we don't allow those with debilitating diseases to die, using monetary wealth to refuse treatment is sad.

And i thought you guys had obamacare coming through?

Wouldn't that act make provisions for this or?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxere View Post
    Unless...they're making a false accusation. Then they should totally have to pay for it.
    Bringing in theoretically different scenarios to take away from the current scenario is completely unnecessary. You're correct, but you're also coming off like a dick with an agenda.

The false accusation can only be investigated upon AFTER the fact, so the point is moot.

No but then my rape kit is home made and I don't pay for it (I can simply call the medical unit if I must and show them documentation of my kit). But It would be nice for women who don't have martial arts training and the paranoia of a coked up fruit bat.
    Last edited by Aqua; 2014-01-06 at 06:41 PM.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

People have to pay out of pocket in this country for every other unfortunate thing that happens to them and sends them to the hospital.

Why would this be any different?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    Um, isn't a rape kit a set of tools used to collect evidence and not a medical procedure?
    It's to collect evidence from the women, semen in the vagina, tearing in the walls, DNA left behind, Any skin in the finger nails.

Pretty exhausting i guess to do.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    Isn't lawyer ball when we mince words to the point of losing the original intent of the conversation in details no one other then the lawyer-baller cares about?
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with this. If someone makes a false accusation, then after the investegation and what not; they should be billed.
    If its legit, they should never hear about the "kit" even having a price.
    I like juice

Deleted
    No, my friend, if they are making a false accusation (which is rare, but does happen) they should be taken to court and cough up a much more sizable sum as compensation to the person they falsely and maliciously accused.

The doctors, however, are not judges, and a hospital is not a court, they should not and must not judge whether a person who comes to them with rape- or violence- induced injuries is telling the truth or not. Theirs is to render medical aid and to minimize the distress and pain of the rape victim. That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    The person that attacked them. If not that as a society I think we can all chip in a little to make an awful experience not carry over to their financial world.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Hmmmm, are you suggesting a rape kit costs nothing? If not, then you realize SOMEONE will have to pay for it. I agree no one should, but someone will. Maybe you meant to say "the victim should not be forced to pay $4000 (or any amount) because of someone else's sick brutality."

Deleted
    Except that "false accusation" isn't really set in stone. Obviously false accusations are wrong and should be a crime in itself, but a lot of the time a rape victim will report the crime, the rapist will be found not guilty for whatever reason, and then what? It's automatically a false accusation?

If the person is outright lieing, that's one thing, but a lot of the time, especially when it's rape within a relationship (people being raped by their partner) the rapist will absolutley get away with it because it's so difficult to prove, or because a judge or jury thinks that rape in a relationship isn't a real thing. Should these people have to pay just because the courts are totally broken? Miscarriages of justice happen all the time. Not to mention it would make people less likely to report a rape, for fear that they won't be able to prove it in court, and will then be forced to pay thousands of pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    People have to pay out of pocket in this country for every other unfortunate thing that happens to them and sends them to the hospital.

Why would this be any different?
    Because this involves a second party whose actions resulted in your illness/injury, and was not caused either through your own actions or by 'chance'.

Out of curiosity, in America, if you're in a car accident, get injured, and someone else is at fault, who pays your bills?
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Isn't lawyer ball when we mince words to the point of losing the original intent of the conversation in details no one other then the lawyer-baller cares about?
    Dude, i just want to know what we are talking about. are we saying women shouldn't have to pay for collection of evidence after rape? No, I would think the police would pick that up. Is it wrong that a woman would have to pay for medical coverage after a rape? No. Who else is going to take care of it? Just like if an uninsured driver hits me, the bill is on me to repair my car and my body. Rape is not any different.

I guess it sucks, but welcome to the world.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!