Deleted

DT770 80 or 250 ohm

Apparently my headphones aren't working properly, but no one can give me any evidence that they are.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-and-right-ear

I'm going send these back and get a refund anyway (though I doubt it will solve the problem as I'm not even sure it is a problem) Should I get another 80ohm or get a 250? I'm leaving towards 250, but apparently they sound worse. Thoughts?

10+ Year Old Account
    they'll sound worse if you don't have the amp to drive them, if you do, they'll be more accurate than the 80ohms

Well, I've owned the DT 770s 80ohm version for years now and they sound amazing, even unamped driven through the Sennheiser USB D/A that I swapped out with the wife (she can't tell the difference so she kept the logitec D/A)

When I plug my headphones into my Sony 555ES receiver, again, without additional amplification, they are pretty damn amazing.

Now, if I had them recabled and amped, I KNOW that they'd just un-flippin-believable, but they're already pretty damn amazing.

I prefer the 80 ohm version because you CAN use typical sources to drive them like a computer or even your phone or iPod. No records will be set, but they won't stop sounding like the Beyerdynamics you purchased.

The 250ohm version is usually the balanced XLR version. You can get it in 1/8" mini plug, but that's usually with the express understanding that you are going to amplify them.

As a former multimedia engineer, I swear by these cans and my only issue is getting the repair department at Sound Surgeon (the official US repair company for Beyerdynamic) to call me back so that I can order the plastic slide holder because after 7 years of kids knocking them off my head and off my desk, they've cracked and I need to replace them.

Anyway, my expert opinion is that you should go with the 80 ohm unless you plan on amplifying them. Not that you can't or perhaps even shouldn't amplify the 80 ohm version (purists might even insist on it), but the 80 ohm is the way to go.

Once broken in, they are among the best cans you can get in that price range, period.
    Last edited by Mackeyser; 2014-01-07 at 01:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus View Post
    Apparently my headphones aren't working properly, but no one can give me any evidence that they are.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-and-right-ear

I'm going send these back and get a refund anyway (though I doubt it will solve the problem as I'm not even sure it is a problem) Should I get another 80ohm or get a 250? I'm leaving towards 250, but apparently they sound worse. Thoughts?
    You could have honestly have kept everything in your original thread. After pointing out the problem persists no matter the hardware/cans rigging, the issue clearly is not your headphones.

Regardless, when driven properly the 250 ohms will be more accurate. Keep in mind, they are quite bass heavy cans but I still enjoy using them for movies and some music. Just to clarify, your Xonar DGX will drive 250 ohm cans. Just don't expect it to drive anything with higher impedance.
    i5-3570k @ 4.6Ghz | Phanteks TC14PE | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Gigabyte GTX 1080 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    Asus Xonar Essence STX | Crucial M4 256MB | Seasonic X760 Gold | Silverstone FT02

Asus PG258Q 240Hz 24.5" | Das Keyboard 4 Pro | Logitech G502 | Audiotechnica ATH-AD900X | Blue Yeti