Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

Sick and tired of the random disconnects since ~5.4

Unlike a "normal" disconnect where my crappy internet peters out slowly and it takes the game some time to figure out that I am DC or close enough to DC, the brand new thing introduced by Blizzard (Pacific coast) or some networking infrastructure connected to Blizzard goes like:

(1) Everything is fine
    (2) 2 sec later: frozen
    (3) game starts saving .lua files
    (4) Disconnected screen
    (5) Battle.net is also DC according to Launcher, but all my other internets are A-OK
    (6) Takes 30 sec - 2+min for Battle.net to come back up

I don't know whether to blame Blizzard or some rancid asshats at AT&T in California but I'm really tired of it. It's especially annoying half way through an LFR that I need to complete because

(1) I'm half way through
    (2) I waited in queue
    (3) Sigils or some crap
    (4) Vision of Time
    (5) et cetera

Yeah, I've got the same problem. Allthough I switched ISP about the time when 5.4 came out, so I can't say for sure what's causing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    My problem is my game suddenly becoming non-responsive, stuck in a casting animation for 10 seconds, then suddenly I'm dead and my raid is asking why I didn't run from that crawler mine.

The little computer icon will have a green screen 1 second, then a red screen the next with massive latency. Its ridiculous and only been happening recently.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    There is a long-running thread about this (and many other threads) on the Tech Support forum, but there seems to be no progress.

It's like routes that go through California on the way to Blizzard just get whacked in the head several times a day. It takes a long time for a TCP-IP connection to die out from having the plug pulled (as people who have farmed Jadefang know). What's happening is something different. The connection is being actively killed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blame blizzard or your provider all you want but that problem is on your end. It is something to do with port configuration on your computer. I had this problem years ago. Forget how I fixed it but.
    Aye mate

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    Blame blizzard or your provider all you want but that problem is on your end. It is something to do with port configuration on your computer. I had this problem years ago. Forget how I fixed it but.
    Yes, the no changes of any kind that I made to my network configuration must be responsible.

Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    Yes, the no changes of any kind that I made to my network configuration must be responsible.
    Every time I see something like this, I look, and the Comcast => AT&T gateway is the source of massive packet loss. Basically, the backbone between those two providers seems to be regularly screwed. (Like, 50% packet loss, 400ms latency for 40 usual, screwed.)

Cause unknown; there have been some DDoS attacks that hurt it, but this is at semi-random times. I assume that Comcast and AT&T are currently yelling and pointing fingers at each other trying to get it fixed, but it sure annoys.

None of this is helped by WoW using TCP connections which respond to network issues like that super-badly. I guess ten years ago the world was different, though, and maybe it was the right choice at the time.

I had that problem a while back, I honestly have no idea what fixed it in the end. Maybe a new router? Modem? One thing for sure though, it's not blizzard on this one.