Mistweaver Endless Proving Grounds

I've been trying to do Endless Proving Grounds now for a while, and I do enjoy the Proving Grounds overall. As a Mistweaver, it's been a little tough to get that Gold, but I managed to do it by learning each wave, and making the most of my cooldowns and mana for each one.

Now, I've come up against Endless and honestly, I just can't do it. This isn't one of those situations where I clearly suck as being a Healer, or a Monk. I'm doing whatever I can (without Fistweaving), and I just can't reach beyond Wave 9 comfortably.

I've done tons of Heroic Progression raiding in the past. Even recently, on 25 Heroic Spoils, my other healer died halfway through the first room, and I managed to (without the Healing Buff) solo heal the remainder of the fight. I don't say this to boast, but to show I do know how to heal, I do know what I'm doing and I've been doing it one way or another for several years now.

I've reforged, gemmed and even changed my healing style and talents to try every combination a few times, but nothing gets me past Wave 9. It's frustrating, because I really want to earn this fairly exclusive title (The Proven Healer), but I don't see how this is even viable without extremely good luck.

I don't understand how Proving Grounds is such a challenge. If anyone has any advice, tips or hints, I'd love to hear them!

- - - Updated - - -

No-one has any advice about Mistweaver Endless Mode?
    Last edited by Hyve; 2014-01-07 at 12:05 PM.

First, are you SooM spamming? Use Chi Brew always

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by VoodooGaming View Post
    No-one has any advice about Mistweaver Endless Mode?
    Chill, you don't even have 3 views yet lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Struggled getting gold on my mistweaver >.< Don't know why it's so hard for my mistweaver yet i can easily do it on other classes even though i know mistweaver more and and more comfortable playing mistweaver

Quote Originally Posted by Geodew View Post
    First, are you SooM spamming? Use Chi Brew always
    I try not to use too much Soothing Mist, it'll drain my mana too much. I rely more on Chi Wave and Enveloping Wind for Tank Healing, with Uplift of course. I've tried using Chi Brew for a few attempts, and it didn't help much.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Struggled getting gold on my mistweaver >.< Don't know why it's so hard for my mistweaver yet i can easily do it on other classes even though i know mistweaver more and and more comfortable playing mistweaver
    I'm feeling the same. Other members from my raid who (no offense to them) play no-where near the level I play, are getting their Proving Grounds Endless. It's getting annoying ...

Use chi brew for mana, don't use the mana tea glyph. Use charging oxe wave for interrupt, and be in melee range so you can kick the hive-singers, that saves you a lot of damage! Try to let the rogue and mage kick first. The mage doesn't cs if she is casting though. Kinda stupid and unreliable. Use xuen at the hardest parts. It's some time since I did it, but I think 8 is the hardest. So you can use xuen at the end of wave 8 and again at wave 4 or something. Spam healing spheres on the ppl that get the dot, don't try to heal them up with soothing mist. The dot gets removed when he gets full health. Remember to drink up to full every 10th wave.

I used my monk for endless 30, and honestly, my only advice is this: use fistweaving.

I don't think it would have even been feasible whatsoever without fistweaving a bit. Fistweaving is vital as it allows you to passively heal without consuming mana. Your low spirit is your biggest enemy; it was especially bad for me as I did it in mostly timeless gear and ghetto enchants, but even if you have gem sockets your spirit might at best be about 1k more and even then your mana regen will be slow.

I took Chi Wave, Power Strikes, Charging Ox Wave, Healing Elixirs, and Xuen for the relevant talents. Healing Elixirs was mainly for simplicity, honestly the others are probably more useful but I chose to keep things simple so I could keep my focus on keeping the party alive. The value of fistweaving comes from the little-noticed fact that while doing that, your DPS is helping to clear waves and give you more downtime for mana regen. The enemies do not have a lot of health and their health does not increase as waves go on so fistweaving's value is increased even more the further you go.

You want to use your Power Strike procs to set up BoK and then follow up with a Renewing Mist into a tiger palm and then simply melee for a bit, using jab-tiger palm to provide some small off-healing for minor damage. When any NPC gets below ~50%, switch to targeted healing. Save your cooldowns for when you actually need them, especially Revival because it's your only raidwide "oh shit" CD.

This all being said, to be 100% honest my monk is my alt and I have never raid healed anything past LFR. My monk isn't even a healer mainspec usually, and my gear was pretty much all 463 blues and timeless gear. I probably can't give as good advice as someone who is a master at MW healing.

I got to wave 38 as mistweaver and failed cause of RNG. Got dot on the tank during mob enrage when the tank was already quite low :/ I can't even get gold on my druid :P

It looks from the posts that there are some different tactics. Read my earlier post for how I did it.

I never used uplift. And no fistweaving cause it drained too much mana. I used soothing mist as much as possible cause it's the most mana efficient heal and it gives you steady chis.

Deleted
    My best advice are healing spheres tbh.

I try not to use too much Soothing Mist, it'll drain my mana too much. (...) I've tried using Chi Brew for a few attempts, and it didn't help much.
    Without writing you a book as to why, you're completely mistaken on both counts. SooM is more efficient than the Healing Sphere alternative because you generate Mana Tea when you consume the chi you generated. Healing Sphere is great for burst, though. Don't Uplift if people are close to full; let ReM top them off to save chi (pay attention to chompers though; consider uplift if one is alive). Keep at least 1 stack of Chi Brew on cooldown for gobs of mana; make sure you have 0-2 chi first. Ascension and Power Strikes are both total crap in comparison for MW especially at that gear level.
    Last edited by Geodew; 2014-01-07 at 01:54 PM.

Without writing you a book as to why, you're completely mistaken on both counts. SooM is more efficient than the Healing Sphere alternative because you generate Mana Tea when you consume the chi you generated.
    At my levels of Spirit at the iLevel of 463, I have such little Mana that Soothing Mist is quite mana intensive. I could put some more reforging into Spirit, but then I'll start lacking in what little throughput though.

Also, I never mentioned about over using Healing Spheres, I place down the three at the start, and maintain a few in the fight, but I don't overly use it as a Healing mechanism.

Ascension and Power Strikes are both total crap in comparison for MW especially at that gear level.
    I've tried with all combinations (I use Ascension in Raids), and none seem to be standing out about Ascension. I love the extra Mana and the extra Chi. Really helps.

My SoO gear scaled down to about 2.5k spirit in there, which I did bronze -> gold with and it felt pretty tough. But then I went and reforged some random bits of older gear with crit/haste + spirit to get about 5k-6k at least, and went back to one shot endless 30. :s
    I didn't fistweave unless I was full on mana. Just, take Chi Brew, use Chi Brew, win! Never use surging mist. Healing Spheres/Life Cocoon on the tank when mobs are enraged. Make sure your raid frames show the tank's shield wall and don't overlap CDs/spam with that.
    Remember to dispel, disarm, stun and interrupt as much as possible, try waiting for the rogue and mage to do theirs first. Don't be afraid to Revival to get everyone up (and dispelled) just to save mana if you got caught out and would need to spam otherwise.

Edit:
    At my levels of Spirit at the iLevel of 463, I have such little Mana that Soothing Mist is quite mana intensive. I could put some more reforging into Spirit, but then I'll start lacking in what little throughput though.
    What's your spirit in the 463 gear?

Also, I never mentioned about over using Healing Spheres, I place down the three at the start, and maintain a few in the fight, but I don't overly use it as a Healing mechanism.
    Don't "maintain" them, just use them as required straight on top of the tank if he's taking heavy damage.

I've tried with all combinations (I use Ascension in Raids), and none seem to be standing out about Ascension. I love the extra Mana and the extra Chi. Really helps.
    Don't use Ascension in raids.
    If you aren't used to using Chi Brew you're probably forgetting to use it on CD, so try making a Weak Aura to remind you.
    Last edited by Liff; 2014-01-07 at 02:54 PM.
    =
    Bowick
    Mistweaver Monk

Officer @ The Raven Council - EU

Quote Originally Posted by Liff View Post
    Don't use Ascension in raids.
    If you aren't used to using Chi Brew you're probably forgetting to use it on CD, so try making a Weak Aura to remind you.
    Not ignoring the rest of your advice, I will try a few points you made out, but Talents are about preferences now, and I love using Ascension in Raids. The extra Mana is really nice, but the added Chi really helps getting Thunder Focus Tea and two Uplifts off. Never had any issues with cooldowns, I use WeakAuras, I just don't like anything other then Ascension.

Not ignoring the rest of your advice, I will try a few points you made out, but Talents are about preferences now, and I love using Ascension in Raids. The extra Mana is really nice, but the added Chi really helps getting Thunder Focus Tea and two Uplifts off. Never had any issues with cooldowns, I use WeakAuras, I just don't like anything other then Ascension.
    I used to run with Ascension as well and love it. But remember in 5.4 Chi Brew got a huge buff in mana regen and flexibility - making this one tier which is pretty much not a choice anymore (for a MW). I use chi brew in 100% of fights now, and if you're having trouble with either mana or burst healing in a solo scenario then I'd really give it a chance.
    Shortly after I swapped from ascension I thought chi brew wasn't too great, but that's only because I wasn't using it optimally. It was the first suggestion I made to you for a reason - I'm pretty sure you'll get a LOT further through endless once you get used to chi brew.
    =
    Bowick
    Mistweaver Monk

Officer @ The Raven Council - EU

Deleted
    Chi Brew provides magnitudes more output and mana than Ascension does, it's not a choice if you even remotely care about performing your best.

Quote Originally Posted by Liff View Post
    I used to run with Ascension as well and love it. But remember in 5.4 Chi Brew got a huge buff in mana regen and flexibility - making this one tier which is pretty much not a choice anymore (for a MW). I use chi brew in 100% of fights now, and if you're having trouble with either mana or burst healing in a solo scenario then I'd really give it a chance.
    Sorry, but I'm talking about raiding at this point, and Ascension is still better in my view. Mistweavers shouldn't ever had Mana Issues, not now with the Crit improvements and Mana Tea. I love Ascension, but changing over for better Mana Management is mental when I never had issues in Raiding.

As for Proving Grounds, I'll give it another few shots!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reglitch View Post
    Chi Brew provides magnitudes more output and mana than Ascension does, it's not a choice if you even remotely care about performing your best.
    Never experienced any issues with Ascension, and trying with Chi Brew, it just annoys me. Having that one extra Chi makes using Thunder Focus Tea & Uplift so much nicer. It's a preference, and I've not had any issues in my Heroic Progress. So far, never let down my raiding team with my healing.

I put together a random set of honor, justice and w/e dropped for me in ToT a couple days after proving grounds came out. It was the first time I had ever speced mistweaver and I haven't ever healed before. From bronze to endless 30 it probably took me about 4 hours, slowly learning the spec and keybinds. So coming from an "inexperienced" mistweaver, here is what I did and kinda didn't do.
    Chi brew, Zuen, Diffuse Magic, Ring of Peace.
    I don't remember what waves I used xuen on, but I used it on 3 out of 10 waves. I would sit in melee nearly the entire time and do a little first weaving, at least auto attacks for some free passive healing. I rarely used ReM, I used soothing mist for single heals + the 3 chi HoT for tank healing if he wasn't sub 50, and if anyone was low I would just spam healing orbs non stop on them.
    I think I might have cast uplift a total of 10 times in the 30 waves. Don't forget the faster the mobs die (firstweaving / spinning crane kick) the less healing you need to do as well. Disarms, interrupts, ring of peace all need to be used.

Your level of Mana regen has absolutely nothing to do with Mana efficiency of spells.

That's a mistake. Healing Sphere is a TON of HPS and is also fairly Mana efficient. Thus, it's great for burst HPS.

Any time you really need that 1 pooled chi you can use Chi Brew instead, though if you're not using SooM at all, Ascension may look better than it is. The extra Mana Tea stacks from Chi Brew are worth over 5000 Spirit. That means you generate at least 45k mana from it in the span of 1.34 Endless Waves, whereas you can only drink to get that mana from Ascension back every 10 Waves. The extra mana of Ascension is nothing. The +1 chi cap is nothing, especially since it doesn't even increase your throughput.

- - - Updated - - -

Never experienced any issues with Ascension, and trying with Chi Brew, it just annoys me. Having that one extra Chi makes using Thunder Focus Tea & Uplift so much nicer. It's a preference, and I've not had any issues in my Heroic Progress. So far, never let down my raiding team with my healing.
    Chi Brew is optimal, both at 463 and for current tier. If you're using Ascension, you're just doing it wrong at this point. I don't care if your healing has been sufficient; that doesn't mean you're healing optimally.

P.S. Chi Brew can ALSO be used to get a TFT Uplift out quickly. In fact, one charge has the same cooldown as TFT. So, bad rationale.

You have at least two responses now from very knowledgeable Mistweavers telling you not to use Ascendance, plus a whole bunch of others saying you shouldn't. It's not preference; it's an awful talent comparatively.
    Last edited by Geodew; 2014-01-08 at 08:03 AM.