Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    And as other posters have said, what you say and want you are describing are 2 different things
    I'm deviating from what most perceive as role playing. I consider role playing to also revolve around people being recognized for their achievements.

Quote Originally Posted by Seefer View Post
    By your standards than a FPS is a roleplaying game.......and you're wrong.
    I have to wonder if you have even seen either genres gameplay….

I can see why you would call it an MO, but to not call it a mmorpg is pretty silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Santoryu View Post
    I'm deviating from what most perceive as role playing. I consider role playing to also revolve around people being recognized for their achievements.
    oh so this is an epeen measuring thing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    Except it isn't? WoW is the Walmart of MMOs. Neither is great, but neither is terrible. The masses flock to Walmart and WoW and they cater to the lowest common denominator. There are better stores and better MMOs, but because of the power the money said lowest common denominators put into both, it's hard to compete as anything better and god help you if you're worse. Many of the employees of both are extremely similar. You have the GMs which are essentially the Walmart greeters. Don't know very much and often give erroneous or completely false information. You have the CMs which are like the floor managers. Slightly more in the know of things, but really just spout what they are told to say. You have the devs which are like the stock personnel who actually know what's going on with things, but really don't have the time to discuss the game/store items with you and you really don't just approach them for general problems. Then the CEOs of Walmart are like the jack offs who are on the Blizzard panels in that they are so removed from their company they tend to spout off things when in the limelight that make them look extremely foolish.

WoW is not great. WoW is Walmart.
    So which MMO is so much better then? I know many games are better than WoW, but I wouldn't be so sure about MMOs.
    And I don't think the masses flock to WoW, they flock to F2P games.

So yeah, this is another "special snowflake" post. Like another poster said on the first page. You had me going for a second, thanks for letting me move on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High Shark View Post
    oh so this is an epeen measuring thing.
    No it is not. I've not once supported condescending behavior in my arguments. And there will always be competition, both in games an in real life. I don't really see how this is somehow bad.

Deleted
    And just what does being recognized for your achievement have to do with role-playing?

Do you know what the word interaction means? Healing someone is interacting with them. Even just a passive buff is you interacting with other people. You don't need to get to know them and their families to play a video game. It's still an MMORPG, sorry your sense of community doesn't exist.

Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    WoW is the definition and gold standard for an MMO, this thread is ridiculous.

That's what you get if the PFY's get into our games without proper training.

Ok - new rule: Mandatory 2 years's worth of pen & paper roleplaying to discover what RPG means. And THEN you can play WOW ;-)

I don't know about you, but in the words MMORPG I don't see the letters for "Forced Interaction" When I go places, be it a city, a dungeon, or just leveling I -see- people everywhere. Hence Multiplayer, it means more than one person is playing. It does not mean that because of this the developers need to hold us hostage and force us to play together if we do not want too. They give us tools to play with people and it is our choice to do so, we don't need people forcing us. Even if they are the lowest of the low, LFR and LFD are with other people, not just AIs that run around so you can get a dungeon done ... though some times, I'd rather it be AI to avoid the toxic community BUT that would defeat the purpose of those tools. Human interaction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Have you seen my posts over the past few days? You should be asking yourself why I'm alive, not why I don't have friends.
    Change is inevitable, Growth is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by Raego View Post
    And just what does being recognized for your achievement have to do with role-playing?
    It doesn't.

Like on his part of gear :
    2. Loss of role playing due to an extreme reduction in player individuality:
    - Epic & legendary gear can be acquired by anybody which is good, but without much effort which is not good.
    First he says gear for everyone is good, but if it's easy than that is bad. EVERYONE ISN'T GOOD AT THE GAME! As hard as it is to believe it. So it MUST be easy for it to be accessible. He contradicts himself on his second bullet. Which means he isn't thinking logically but with emotion.

He wants the game to revolve around him, and it doesn't. Which means it isn't an RPG too him. Go figure.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by borgarr View Post
    The funny thing is hes kind of right.. wow is no longer a multi player game you can do every single aspect of the game without ever having to talk to someone/interact with anyone else i
    How do I PvP or Raid without interacting with other players?
    Last edited by Amsden; 2014-01-07 at 11:55 PM.

Point is, you can dodge the story elements alltogheter by levelling to 90 with a click of a button and then gear up by sending all you timeless items to your char.

With this wow lost all its roleplaying elements. Surely there are people to interact with, but you dont even need to do that by queueing for dungeons and raids not even interacting with other people. There is so many flaws with this.

I wish the following.

elimination of the looking for dungeon/raid, elimination of teleport to dungeons/raids, elimination of flying mounts. I could go on and on. but basically I want wow to become how it was at lvl 60 in vanilla, but with the evolved storyline that has been put through with the expansions.

I wish they could remove levelling alltogheter and rather have storyline checkpoints/atunements instead.

I'm deviating from what most perceive as role playing. Iconsider role playing to also revolve around people being recognized for their achievements.
    I made it easy to read the important stuff. What you think doesn't matter. Your attempting to redefine the genre based on your opinion of what the genre should be, not what it actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by Raego View Post
    I don't know about others, but I roleplay every character I made, so it's still an RPG to me, and I play it with friends so it's still a multiplayer game to me. Different circumstances can really change the experience of a game.
    This is very true too. For someone like me who has been blessed with a great guild for 6 years, I have plenty of old friendships and a very solid multiplayer experience in game. It shouldn't have to be forced though to feel like an mmo. Someone else mentioned you can still form groups in trade and do it the old fashioned way. Again, that's realllly forcing it and most people will just laugh at you and say "just queue and stfu."

For a new player with little to no connections they would have to be really lucky and try really hard to get an mmo experience out of this "mmo." They're likely to run into dozens of poor guilds that exist merely for the guild perks and never communicate hardly along with tons of silent bodies in lfd or toxic asswipes who chew them out for lack of boa's or slow pulling etc. The chance to stumble on some quality players and make meaningful friendships along with forming a tight bond with their online avatar is slim to none. It would have to be forced pretty hard and they would have to be incredibly lucky. That shouldn't be the case for a well designed mmo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha, to me it is still an MMORPG. Sorry that just YOU don't feel this way.

The fact that LFR exists does not take anything away from normal/heroic raiding. That's like saying that I can't make a good homemade burger because McDonalds exists.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby451 View Post
    I made it easy to read the important stuff. What you think doesn't matter. Your attempting to redefine the genre based on your opinion of what the genre should be, not what it actually is.
    I'm presenting my opinion. Why is that an issue?

Talk about a mis-worded topic.

So, the post has nothing whatsoever to do with the roleplaying aspect of the game, the OP seems to be bitching that the game is easier and rewards more attainable.