Page 1 of 19
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

My Chemist class concept (Long)

Chemist

Introduction

This is a brief overview of the Chemist. I created this concept because I've grown weary of the constant bickering between the Tinker and Demon Hunter class concepts. Though I feel the Tinker is still the most likely future class inclusion, a class based on chemical weapons also has a pretty strong chance of making it into the game as a class as well, due to its history within Warcraft. It would only seem right that eventually they would develop into a formidable class of warriors that use their brains over their muscle. So, without further delay, this is the Chemist class concept. Let me know what you think.

Basics

Races: Alliance: Humans, Gnomes, Worgen, Dwarves. Horde: Undead, Goblins, Trolls, Blood Elves
    Weapons: Daggers, 1h swords, 1h axes
    Armor: Mail
    Stats: INT
    Specs: Demolition (DPS), Biohazard (DPS), Pharmacy (Heal)

Shared Abilities

Concoction

Concoctions can be either used on yourself, or others via the Throw Concoction ability. You can use some concoctions three times before it needs to recharge. Each charge has a 5 second recharge or "brewing" time. This cooldown activates even if the concoction is being used on yourself, being used in the chemical gun, or is being thrown. It's important to note that your lab assistants also endure a similar CD with their throwing ability.

If you feel that you need a concoction to used during battle, its better to either fix the concoction into your potion gun, or allow your lab assistant to pitch it for you. Throw Concoction grants an AoE effect to your potions, but they are weaker in general. The only concoction where this isn't true is Unstable Concoction, and Acid Bomb. Potions are broken down into three groups:

Tonic: Concoctions that heal or buff. These can always be used on yourself, or your lab assistants. Examples: Healing Tonic, Mana Tonic, Phoenix Tonic, Detox Tincture
    Mixtures: Concoction Mixtures that have unstable effects. These cannot be used on yourself, but some can be attached to your Chemical Gun. Examples: Endurance Burst, Unstable Concoction, Poison Brew, Speed Tonic
    Explosives: Highly volatile concoctions that have destructive effects. Almost all of these can be attached to your Chemical Gun. Examples: Dragonfire bomb, Grenade, Acid Bomb, Bio-Bomb.

Throw Concoction

Throws a concoction at a targeted area, dealing AoE effects. These effects are weaker in general, yet can be useful in certain situations. Your lab assistant always performs Throw Concoction when using concoctions.

Chemical Gun

Your equipped weapons serve as a statistical base for your main weapon: The Chemical Gun. The Chemical gun is your primary weapon, and changes ability based on your spec. For example, within the Biohazard spec, your gun uses poisons and diseases. While in the Apothecary spec, your gun fires mostly healing sprays and mists. You can also fix a concoction into your Chemical gun, giving it a 40 yard range, and increasing the power of its effects. It is also important to note that your auto-attack (shoot) from Chemical Gun also reflects your spec. For example, auto-attack via Chemical Gun in Biohazard spec gives your auto-attacks a chance to poison the target.

Overdose

Constant use of your healing tonics can cause the Overdose debuff. Overdose weakens the effectiveness of your tonics. This debuff is more prone to effect Pharmacy Chemists. Chemists can avoid this debuff by using a variety of healing tonics, instead of using a single type of tonic over and over again.

Healing from your lab assistant does not contribute to Overdose.

Lab Assistants

Your lab assistants are either a Gnome or a Goblin riding on the back of an ogre depending on your faction. Your lab assistants serve three purposes: They throw concoctions, They provide protection and support, and they provide extra baggage space. Since the Gnome or Goblin lab assistant can throw concoctions automatically, you should use them to assist you in whatever role you choose to do. For example, if you're healing, your lab assistant should also be tossing healing tonics at allies. If you're DPSing, your lab assistant should be throwing around grenades for minor AoE damage. You should have your lab assistants out at all times.

In addition, your Gnome or Goblin assistant has the ability Chemical Rage. Chemical Rage causes your Ogre to whip out his twin swords and go into frenzied melee mode, attacking the nearest targets. The benefit of Chemical Rage is that it has an added effect based on what spec you're in. So while healing, the Chemical Rage ability has a vampiric effect, healing allies in the area while the Ogre does damage. While in DPS spec, the Ogre's melee attacks either spread disease, or have an oil coating that increases fire damage. Chemical Rage has a decent duration, and a short cooldown, so it can be used often. However, Chemists should be cautious, because your Ogre and Gnome/Goblin take additional damage while its active.

Specs

Demolition

DPS Demolition Chemists specialize in maximum destruction. Caring little for the damage they cause, all they care about is causing the largest explosion possible. Honing their incredible intellect towards perfecting gunpowder, and chemical agents, they are both feared and respected by allies and foes alike.

Description: Demolition Chemists use a lot of explosives, and the Chemical Gun's abilities reflect that, behaving more like a flamethrower or a grenade launcher.

Abilities

+Flame Thrower: (Chemical Gun) Launches flames at all targets in a cone in front of the caster, causing initial damage, and additional damage over time. Targets hit by oil potion take additional damage from this ability.
    +Oil Bottle: A concoction that increases fire damage to targets hit by it.
    +Carpet Bomb: Drops an explosive that spread along the ground to a maximum of 10 yards, damaging any targets within.
    +Unstable Concoction: A concoction that deals damage and stuns a target based on how long you hold it. If you don't release in enough time, it damages and stuns the caster instead.
    +Rolling Grenade: (Chemical Gun) A modified Grenade that hits its initial target, and then breaks into smaller components, damaging surrounding targets for less damage.
    +Chemical Rage: Oiled Blades (passive) Coats the Ogre's blades with oil, increasing fire damage dealt.
    +Self-Destruct: You drink a special concoction, blowing yourself up and causing large damage in an area around you. This kills you instantly (however, some Chemists drink Phoenix Tonic first, in order to resurrect themselves immediately afterwards!). Of course, if you're feeling squeamish about blowing yourself up, you can have your lab assistants run into a mob, and self-destruct instead.

Biohazard

DPS While some chemists enjoy the pursuit of ways to help people, others have used medical methods to cause more pain and misery at the behest of their faction leaders. Studying a variety of plagues and poisons, these chemists have become quite adept at chemical warfare, using their agents to wipe out entire armies with disease before enemy commanders even know what happened. Though some wish to believe that their actions are for the greater good, others simply cannot stomach the sheer amount of death and destruction they have caused, leading them to become literally insane.

Description: A chemist that utilizes hazardous materials and vile experiments to defeat its enemies. Think Professor Putricide in class form. Biohazard is a complex spec that is best for those who like to see their opponents suffer.

Abilities

+Acid Spray: (Chemical Gun) Sprays a corrosive spray in a cone in front of the chemist. This reduces the targets armor over time.
    +Malleable Goo: bounces a Malleable ball of Green Goo at the target, inflicting damage and slowing movement, attack, and cast speed by for 6 sec.
    +Choking Gas Bomb:Inflicts damage and causes target to choke, reducing their chance to hit for 10 seconds.
    +Poison Brew: A concoction of poison, that damages the target on impact, and poisons them for x seconds.
    +Acid Bomb: Throws an explosive of acid at a targeted area. Enemies who enter this area take damage and have their armor reduced.
    +Disease Spores: Launches an disease into an area around the caster that lasts for 1 minute, and follows the caster. Has a low chance to cause Gastric Disease.
    -Gastric Disease: Causes target to vomit every 3 seconds for 12 seconds, and causes the target to be dazed (less for player characters). Vomiting spreads the disease to two nearby targets.
    +Mutated Slime: Throws a vial on the ground, causing a puddle of slime to form. This puddle releases tentacles that wrap themselves around nearby targets, holding them in place. This ooze will follow the chemist for several seconds before evaporating.
    +Chemical Rage: Diseased Blades: (passive) Your Ogre assistant spreads poison to every target it attacks during Chemical Rage.

Pharmacy

Healing Chemists who have dedicated themselves to healing others and supporting their allies. These Chemists specialize in using powerful drugs and other agents that keep people alive, enhance life, and prolong the peak of physical and mental abilities. They are invaluable in most groups, and their lab assistants insure that all angles are covered in battle.

Pharmacy Chemists must be mindful of the amount of tonics they use on a target. If they use too many of the same tonics too quickly, it can cause the Overdose debuff. In order to be an effective healer, the Pharmacy Chemist must learn to properly time their healing abilities in order to avoid the Overdose effect. Fortunately, Pharmacy Chemist DO receive a highly useful cooldown that will make them immune to the Overdose effect for a set amount of time.

Description: The healing spec, utilizing tonics, medicine, and chemical sprays.

Abilities

+Healing Spray (Chemical Gun): Fires a mist of healing chemicals in an area around the Chemist, healing all targets it hits.
    +Condensed Healing Tonic: (1.5 second cast) A more potent version of healing tonic, healing a target for a significant amount.
    +Phoenix Coating: Protects the target from death for 20 minutes. If the target dies while the Elixir is active, they can be instantly brought back to life by the Chemist.
    +Twilight Pharmacy: Creates a portable pharmacy that allows allies to take healing potions. (CD)
    +Blood Tonic: (Chemical Gun): An Elixir that allows a target's weapon damage to heal them for several seconds
    +Gigas Tonic: Instantly restores the health and resources of the caster. (CD)
    +Chemical Rage: Vampire Blades: Your Ogre's attacks during Chemical Rage heal nearby injured targets during its duration.
    +Rapid Triage: (Cooldown) Increases the brewing time and healing effects of all of your tonics, and prevents your tonics from causing the Overdose debuff. Lasts 15 seconds.

Enhancement (Bonus Spec)

Tanking Utilizing the latest in bio-chemistry, and Gnomish/Goblin technical know-how, the Chemist has discovered a method to protect himself and his allies in the heat of battle. These Chemists risk their bodies and minds in order to become unstoppable behemoths that can smash any foe that foolishly stands in their way.

Description: Ranged/Pet tank that utilizes cooldown reductions and damage splitting.

+Focused Shots: (Passive) Reduces the range of your chemical gun to 10 yards, but increases its damage, and threat it produces.
    +Improved Chemical Rage: (Passive) Keeps your ogre assistant in a constant state of Chemical Rage, increasing its threat, and reducing the damage it takes while CR is active. In addition, damage done by the ogre assistant has a chance to place the Chemist in a state of Chemical Rage, increasing damage, and its rate of fire.
    +Body Bridge: (Passive) Merges the bodies of the Chemist and the Lab Assistants on the dimensional plane, reducing damage, and causing all damage to split between them.
    +Mind Bridge: Instantly switch minds with your lab assistant, taking control of them, and gaining new abilities. Using Mind Bridge reduces cooldowns, increases damage for a short amount of time, and places a temporary mitigation ability on your partner.
    +Glistening Coating: (passive) Increases the armor of the Chemist.
    +Acidic Blunderbus: (Chemical Gun) Fires a shell filled of acid from your gun, causing damage and reducing armor to all targets in melee range.
    +Critical Cure (passive): When you reach 25% health, your healing tonic's healing effects increase by 20%.
    +Demon Flamethrower: (Chemical Gun) Changes your flame thrower into green fire, making it burn more intensely, causing more threat, and dealing more damage. Has a low chance of causing the targets to tremble in fear.
    +Collapsing Ring Bomb: An explosive that causes a ring to form at the target location, and then slowly collapse in on itself, increasing damage as it does so. (CD)
    +Gnome/Goblin Pharmacist: (toggle) Your Gnome/Goblin assistant will periodically throw a healing tonic upon you.
    +Rubber Tonic: Changes you or your assistants' density into that of rubber, absorbing a certain amount of damage before wearing off. (CD)
    +Twin Black Blades: (CD) Slashes done by your ogre causes the target to bleed, and take increased damage.

How tanking works: You switch from Assistant to Chemist. However, if one dies, you all die! The Chemist is a ranged tank, with a 10 yard range. The lab assistants are melee. Damage is split even between both, with the Chemist having more hit points overall. When you switch bodies with the Lab Assistants you have a very limited amount of abilities. Whenever you switch, your other character will be controlled by AI.

Conclusion

Q&A

Q: There's too many New Class or Hero threads on this forum!
    A: Yeah, so one more isn't going to hurt anything.

Q:You used too many human pics in this thread!
    A: I realize that. I didn't feel like drawing new drawings just for the purpose of a theorycrafting thread. I don't claim any of the art in this thread as my own.

Q:Chemist is a horrible class!
    A: Thanks for your input. I disagree so I made a thread about it. If you don't like it, don't waste your time responding.

Q:What's up with the talent trees?
    A: Didn't feel like making one this time.

Q: They're never going to implement Chemists blah blah blah!
    A: I realize that. I just did this for fun. Relax.

I hope you enjoyed the concept. If you have any suggestions or comments, please feel free to post. This thread will be under constant revision until the final revision is completed, so please check back for changed.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Teriz; 2014-01-11 at 03:59 PM.

If we got this instead of tinkers, I think I'd be ok with that. All of the specs sound fun, but I'd gravitate toward the Demolitionist myself.

Reserving <Walterwhite> on my server now.

Well I think it's unlikely but it's a nicely done char concept.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zannis View Post
    Reserving <Walterwhite> on my server now.
    Bet you it's already taken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love your class idea

While the concept does look interesting, there is one thing in WoW that completely prevents and blocks that concept from ever seeing the light of day. What is that? The fact that this whole class concept is being used as an in-game profession: alchemy. Granted, the alchemy profession itself doesn't do half of what the OP's concept could do, but, let's face it: "Oh, you're an alchemist?" *checks professions* "But you're not an alchemist?"

Alchemy in WoW is an in-game profession, and that makes it unviable as a class unless the profession is either fully removed from the game, or integrated into the class and made unavailable for non-Chemists. Neither option is desirable for the majority of the playerbase, I venture.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    While the concept does look interesting, there is one thing in WoW that completely prevents and blocks that concept from ever seeing the light of day. What is that? The fact that this whole class concept is being used as an in-game profession: alchemy. Granted, the alchemy profession itself doesn't do half of what the OP's concept could do, but, let's face it: "Oh, you're an alchemist?" *checks professions* "But you're not an alchemist?"

Alchemy in WoW is an in-game profession, and that makes it unviable as a class unless the profession is either fully removed from the game, or integrated into the class and made unavailable for non-Chemists. Neither option is desirable for the majority of the playerbase, I venture.
    Nah, the Alchemy profession wouldn't need to be removed. Alchemy the profession, and Chemist the class operate in two very different sections of the game. There's no one using Alchemist skills to heal or tank a raid for example. So while a Chemist is blowing up targets with their grenades and Flame Throwers, the Alchemist is mixing chemicals to create items in the auction house, or to store in the guild bank.

What situation would cause Blizzard to implement this class or anything similar to it? New classes exemplify the expansion they are added in. Death Knights for the Lich King. Monks for Pandaria. Where would a Chemist fit in? They vaguely could would for a Lich Queen Bitch expansion.

Classes are designed around expansions. IMO that's where they belong, in expansion concepts. Stand-alone threads are useless.

Cool way to implement the WC3 concept. Another well done class concept!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    What situation would cause Blizzard to implement this class or anything similar to it? New classes exemplify the expansion they are added in. Death Knights for the Lich King. Monks for Pandaria. Where would a Chemist fit in? They vaguely could would for a Lich Queen Bitch expansion.

Classes are designed around expansions. IMO that's where they belong, in expansion concepts. Stand-alone threads are useless.
    They could be implemented via an expansion dealing with Sylvanas or one of her followers attempting to wipe out all life on Azeroth with a plague. That could cause each faction to develop a corp of warriors that can deal with this plague and help fight against it. That doesn't even need to be the main thrust of the expansion.

BTW, I came up with that in like 5 seconds. In short, there's plenty of ways to implement a class. All you need is an excuse.

Sounds really cool like the concept would play if implemented. Though I see you got some ideas from the Guild Wars 2 Elixir gun xD.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    They could be implemented via an expansion dealing with Sylvanas or one of her followers attempting to wipe out all life on Azeroth with a plague. That could cause each faction to develop a corp of warriors that can deal with this plague and help fight against it. That doesn't even need to be the main thrust of the expansion.

BTW, I came up with that in like 5 seconds. In short, there's plenty of ways to implement a class. All you need is an excuse.
    Blizzars good at excuses.

10+ Year Old Account
    I kind of imagine diablos witchdoctor throwing around pots and potions.
    #boycottchina

Nah, the Alchemy profession wouldn't need to be removed. Alchemy the profession, and Chemist the class operate in two very different sections of the game. There's no one using Alchemist skills to heal or tank a raid for example. So while a Chemist is blowing up targets with their grenades and Flame Throwers, the Alchemist is mixing chemicals to create items in the auction house, or to store in the guild bank.
    I'm not sure you get it. They're both the same thing. Using alchemy to create potions and elixirs and poisons and whatnot. They're the exact same thing, concept-wise.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure you get it. They're both the same thing. Using alchemy to create potions and elixirs and poisons and whatnot. They're the exact same thing, concept-wise.
    Certainly they share a theme, but they're not conceptually the same, because the Alchemy profession was never designed to perform the role of a class. When you take up the Alchemy profession, you're creating items, not performing abilities to gain experience points or Tank, DPS, or Heal.

In short, its almost impossible for a class to take design space from a profession, because a profession isn't designed to do what a class does and vice versa.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2014-01-08 at 03:03 AM.

Alchemy isn't a ranged pet class that lets you throw explosives, and spread diseases.

So no, it's not the exact same thing concept-wise.

Certainly they share a theme, but they're not conceptually the same, because the Alchemy profession was never designed to perform the role of a class. When you take up the Alchemy profession, you're creating items, not performing abilities to gain experience points or Tank, DPS, or Heal.

In short, its almost impossible for a class to take design space from a profession, because a profession isn't designed to do what a class does and vice versa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhamses View Post
    Alchemy isn't a ranged pet class that lets you throw explosives, and spread diseases.

So no, it's not the exact same thing concept-wise.
    They are the same, concept-wise. Their concept? A person that creates potions and elixirs and poisons and whatnot through the use of alchemy. The fact one sells their products in the auction house and the other tosses those vials at party members' faces does not matter.

They are the same, concept-wise. Their concept? A person that creates potions and elixirs and poisons and whatnot through the use of alchemy. The fact one sells their products in the auction house and the other tosses those vials at party members' faces does not matter.
    Well if you're going to go that abstract then it doesn't matter at all whether they've got the same concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Drilnos View Post
    Well if you're going to go that abstract then it doesn't matter at all whether they've got the same concept.
    It's not abstract, it's THE definition of an alchemist.

Hunters and skinners could be called the same thing concept wise by using only the words and not paying any attention at all to what is presented to you. The Chemist doesn't just make potions and drink them. In this concept he is making bombs, using flame throwers, creates potions/elixirs, and has a companion. But if you want to pick one part of that and focus on it, that's cool. Just don't argue with people who can see the whole post.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not abstract, it's THE definition of an alchemist.
    Good thing the character class is called Chemist....chemistry is much more than making potions.

Quote Originally Posted by Drilnos View Post
    What? That's exactly the level of abstraction you need when discussing class designs. How anyone can think a Chemist/Alchemist/Engineer class isn't conceptually redundant with the ingame professions is beyond me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    Hunters and skinners could be called the same thing concept wise by using only the words and not paying any attention at all to what is presented to you. The Chemist doesn't just make potions and drink them. In this concept he is making bombs, using flame throwers, creates potions/elixirs, and has a companion. But if you want to pick one part of that and focus on it, that's cool. Just don't argue with people who can see the whole post.
    Okay, grats, the class idea is thematically redundant with not only Alchemy, but ALSO engineering. Are you happy now?
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>