Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Surprising conversation responses

One thing that I find tricky in SWTOR, is picking the "right" dialogue option in the conversation.

Sometimes, the text that you see on the choice wheel, and what actually comes out of your character's mouth, are pretty hard to reconcile. Mainly in terms of tone.

When I was in The Esseles FP last week, one of the crew in the Engineering department suggested venting the compartment to reset the security locks. My dialogue choice was "Useful plans only please", and I thought my Jedi would say something along the lines of "No, that isn't a good option, there must be some other way." Instead, she bursts out with some totally aggressive rant like "Tell your lackeys to STFU if they don't have anything useful to say" ..... hmmm, it gave me a big laugh, but it didn't fit the personality of my character at all.

Another example was talking to a random NPC on Coruscant, and I wanted to say "Hand over the files" or something of that nature. So my Jedi thrusts her finger into this poor sap's face and yells "Give me that datacron right now or I'M GOING TO KILL YOU". Sheesh, my poor little droid companion freaked out and did some beeps and lost 20 affection points in one hit.

These were very entertaining and all, but I wonder if there's any sort of science to predicting the conversations a little better? There's an icon that shows Dark and Light choices, and these are generally obvious anyway, but the others are a bit more of a gamble.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haven't seen any funny unpredictable responses. There were some weird responses I didn't mean to give, but nothing too memorable. Except maybe that time when my female Trooper was just talking with Jorgan, he says something like, "I have always been on my own, without any support from other people", I chose a response, "I know how you feel", and, bah, my Trooper kisses him...

Two funniest responses of that kind were in Mass Effect, though. The first one is super-hilarious. So, in ME1 Ashley tells Shepard, "You have to choose, either you love me or Liara". There were three choices: "Liara", "Ashley" and "Why choose?". I chose the latest response believing it to be some kind of peaceful solution. And Shepard says, "Why don't we just, eh, go threesome?".
    Another one was in ME2 with Kelly. I choose an option, "Let's meet in my quarters", thinking he just wanted to talk with her. Suddenly I'm getting Renegade points, and Kelly says that she hasn't had so much pleasure at night before...

10+ Year Old Account
    On my Sorc doing Makeb, I don't remember exactly what I did, but it made Talos very upset with me. I did some Dark Side action and boom, 432 points of affection lost. FOUR HUNDRED AND THIRTY TWO.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    On my Sorc doing Makeb, I don't remember exactly what I did, but it made Talos very upset with me. I did some Dark Side action and boom, 432 points of affection lost. FOUR HUNDRED AND THIRTY TWO.
    He never asked for this!
    "I'm a beaver in a hole, if you don't know what that is then I feel sorry for you"

Usually the upper choices are the "good" choices and the bottom choices are the "bad" choices, but the inane one/two word descriptions of the BioWare chat wheel are confusing as hell many times. I can't count the number of times I've chosen a chat option thinking it meant one thing, only to have it mean something totally different : /

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Two funniest responses of that kind were in Mass Effect, though. The first one is super-hilarious. So, in ME1 Ashley tells Shepard, "You have to choose, either you love me or Liara". There were three choices: "Liara", "Ashley" and "Why choose?". I chose the latest response believing it to be some kind of peaceful solution. And Shepard says, "Why don't we just, eh, go threesome?".
    Played Sith warrior? If you've been romancing both Jaesa and Vette, eventually Vette will demand you make a choice. You can choose 1 or the other, or reply "I am a Sith lord, I shall have you both". Hilariously, Jaesa is totally down with the idea, but Vette is not and storms off.

And while I can't remember specifics, there were a few times where a dialogue choice came out a bit more...dickish than it seemed like it should have been from the choice wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    you can press escape and cancel the cutscene, replay it again. take a different companion or none at all.

Yeah; keep in mind that the wheel has only a few words on it, so outcome may not match expectations. Luckily, outside of party-play, there's always the [esc]-button.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are many funny bits here and there. I've been leveling new pubs and one thing always struck me as annoying:

During The Esseles flashpoint, you get the choice to save the engineers or blow them out of the airlock. My darkside will pick to kill them, lose the roll, and then the next dialog choice I can pick "I make the decisions around here, not you!" which was funny the first time, but now rather annoying.

HK-51 is pretty fun, but I mostly roll with Treek who is annoying. I do enough anything that involves /forcepersuade

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Usually the upper choices are the "good" choices and the bottom choices are the "bad" choices, but the inane one/two word descriptions of the BioWare chat wheel are confusing as hell many times. I can't count the number of times I've chosen a chat option thinking it meant one thing, only to have it mean something totally different : /
    Which is why chat wheel only showing vague description of what you might say is terrible design. The funny thing is, in DA3 they elaborate even further what your choice will do, yet still refuse to show what the given comment actually is.. Talk about not seeing the tree from the forest..
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

This was a few years ago now but on my first character (Inquisitor) I played female and go to a part where you end up with some sort of band of followers. I remember distinctly being given some sort of offering and my female Sith dark side inquisitor positively squueeeaaling "OOOH I LOVE PRESEEENNTSS!!!" It was such a wtf moment I remember actually inhaling my orange juice,

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlord Booty View Post
    There are many funny bits here and there. I've been leveling new pubs and one thing always struck me as annoying:

During The Esseles flashpoint, you get the choice to save the engineers or blow them out of the airlock. My darkside will pick to kill them, lose the roll, and then the next dialog choice I can pick "I make the decisions around here, not you!" which was funny the first time, but now rather annoying.

HK-51 is pretty fun, but I mostly roll with Treek who is annoying. I do enough anything that involves /forcepersuade
    That exact Esseles scenario just happened to me a few days ago on my lowbie Guardian whom I only made for the express purpose of getting the HK-51 part out of Coruscant (I decided to level her to around 20 so the mobs in the area won't be a big deal if they aggro while I'm searching)
    Putin khuliyo