Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Thug Culture Impressed on Toddler

Here's the video

On Tuesday night, Don Lemon tackled the issue of a controversial video depicting a black toddler swearing and flipping the bird, and he was actually being encouraged by adults to do this. At issue was the Omaha police putting out this video and saying it’s part of a “thug cycle,” which Marc Lamont Hill found irresponsible and objectionable, but Lemon and Mel Robbins thought it was to help make a well-intentioned point.

Hill argued it “sends the wrong message about young, black boys” to put out a video and statement like that with a “racial overtone.” Robbins and Lemon argued that “thug culture” is not exclusive to the African-American community, and Robbins said people shouldn’t let “politics and political correctness” get in the way of tackling a serious social issue.

Hill told them that they’re “absurd” if they think that the kind of behavior depicted in the video is a serious problem, and kept on the racial element of the story, crying, “The example’s always black, Don!” He added, “How can you say he’s going to be a thug? He’s this big!”

He said that this kind of thing will lead more people to judge young black boys as thugs, but Robbins argued it might actually do the opposite and Lemon again pointed out that trash-talking to children happens in white and Hispanic families too.

Do you think it was smart of the police to post the video? I think they should've censored his face but I think the video is important because it shows how violence and thug culture is instilled in young innocent children. There's no excuse to treat a child like that. Like corporal punishment, this increases the chances that a child becomes hateful and violent. This behavior, at least in my anecdotal experience, is pretty common around our country. I see moms beating their kids in public and telling them to swear at people. They're usually poor but that's no excuse. This shit is all cyclical.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...mage-the-brain
    Last edited by GreatOak; 2014-01-08 at 05:04 AM.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see anything wrong with posting the video. People need to know that that teaching children things like that is unacceptable.

'Right'? I don't know just what they are dealing with, but I do have problems with parents teaching their kids to not respect authorities, just because they are authorities.

Teaching a 3 year old to swear, make sexually explicit comments, and flip the bird at the police doesn't seem to be good parenting to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good on paper, bad presentation.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

it's good they put the video up. i don't care what color the kid is, this thug shit is a problem that needs to be addressed.

the best part of this video will be the white people that take responsibility for it

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with the shows host, the Police Union should have blurred out the face. That was the only fault.

The other man giving his opinion kind of railroaded the whole thing. Which is a shame because shit parents come in all colours, I've seen many bogans speak to children in a similar (not as severe) way. I've just had to bite my tongue as its not my place.

This is horribly irresponsible.

It's great, actually.
    It shows people how 'thugs' become 'thugs.' What to not do with/to your child.

Deleted
    You don't choose the Thug life, the Thug life chooses you

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    It's great, actually.
    It shows people how 'thugs' become 'thugs.' What to not do with/to your child.
    Are we going to get to see some neo nazi babies too because neo nazis are an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Are we going to get to see some neo nazi babies too because neo nazis are an issue.
    Ehm... Aren't they 'thugs,' too?
    Humour me; there's a culture gap, here... Where I'm from, neo-nazis are thugs.

All I have to say is that kid should be removed from the family. This kid is being encouraged to act in a way that is going to lead to criminal activity, I don't really see a way around it.

For me this has nothing to do with skin colour, this happens with parents of all skin colours, and it really is child abuse, teaching your children to speak and act and think like that, is setting them up for a horrible attitude to life.

I live in Scotland and the town I live is very white orientated, and there are many parents here that swear and curse around their kids and encourage them to do the same and laugh when they repeat it. It's just not on, parents that have no respect, teaching no respect to their kids.

It's sad to see

As for the video, I think there is no reason not to show it, I believe the kids face should have been blurred, and as long as it's not made into a racial fiasco, then putting the info out there to try and teach parents that this is not ok behaviour is a good thing.

Some people are bad parents. How we approach that issue however, is something I would be cautious about. I am sure you'd have plenty of people here on the likes of MMO-Champion making proclamations/accusations of bad parenting if OP's video/thread happened to be something like "Conservative Culture Impressed on Toddler", for example.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    We already do see a lot of Neo-Nazi Children.

There was a pretty famous story of 2 young girls who had been singing racially motivated songs that were taught to them by their parents.

But as always Themius is doing his normal "hurrp de derpty doopity dee!, White people are more privileged than me!" dance.

This poor kid is absolutely fucked, right from the start. It's depressing to see how little of a chance the kid has with clowns like that teaching him all the wrong ways to act right from the very start of his life. Is it right to post the video? I don't know. I understand the impulse from police to basically say, "look, this is what we wind up having to deal with, and if you see things like this going on, please let us know". If it's not right to post it, who exactly have they wronged?

Deleted
    It is sad that the child is being shamed and not the parents, they should be glad I am not world Emperor because teaching kids shit like that would get them a public whipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Asthreon View Post
    We already do see a lot of Neo-Nazi Children.

There was a pretty famous story of 2 young girls who had been singing racially motivated songs that were taught to them by their parents.

But as always Themius is doing his normal "hurrp de derpty doopity dee!, White people are more privileged than me!" dance.
    Who was posting the video? Was it the police posting it on their website? Or was it the media? There is a huge difference. Why did you regress into foolery at the end of your post?
    Last edited by Themius; 2014-01-08 at 03:35 PM.

Who was posting the video? Was it the police posting it on their website? Or was it the media? There is a huge difference. Why did you regress into foolery at the end of your post?
    Actually, originally it was the child's family, because they thought it was hilarious.