Sheild benifits for Arms and Fury?

Wondering if a shield does anything aside from stats and armor when a Fury/Arms warrior equips one. I dont see the block chance go up any.

Thanks!

Why would a shield increase block chance o0? (other than well actually allowing you to block)

And the benefit is obviously the massive amount of armor if you happen to need it.

And the IQ of the common warrior is shown once again. Tunnel, tunnel, tunnel lol.

Respect people and post constructively, please. - Senen
    Last edited by Senen; 2014-01-08 at 10:42 AM.

Without a shield, you can't block, at all. So even if it doesn't display a block chance increase, there is actually quite a big one.
    But yeah, the main benefit from a shield as a war dps is the bonus armor.

Quote Originally Posted by Senen View Post
    Without a shield, you can't block, at all. So even if it doesn't display a block chance increase, there is actually quite a big one.
    But yeah, the main benefit from a shield as a war dps is the bonus armor.
    quite a big one? A well geared fury won't see that much of an improvement. A heroic offhand has around 2.7k strength (with kings) and you need around 950 strength for 1% parry. This means you gain just short of 3% parry.

Our block chance is 3%, if I remember correctly, + whatever stats are on your shield. In the end you are trading ~2.2k stamina versus 22k armor and whatever avoidance is on your shield (strength + parry/dodge. No idea in how much % that would result). Don't forget that block is only 30% damage reduction while parry is 100%.

You're not losing any stat, shields and offhands have the same budget. (See below)
    You're only losing a huge amount of dps (in both Fury and Arms).
    But yeah "quite a big one" was probably not a good way to stat things. Still, 0%->3% is an increase.

Anyway, as said above, the main reason to equip a shield is the bonus armor. I go from ~45% to ~55% physical damage reduction when I equip a shield in my fury gear.
    Last edited by Senen; 2014-01-09 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Senen View Post
    You're not losing any stat, shields and offhands have the same budget.
    shields are higher budget than a one hander, while lower than a two hander. as TG, you're going to be losing a huge chunk of strength and stamina and smf you'll actually see some gains. But you'll be completely locked out of your rotation as fury as both raging blow and wild strike both require an offhand weapon.

Aside from stats/armor, there is no benefit to equipping a shield. You're not going to have shield block/barrier/slam, so aside from its passive armor there isn't much to it.

Currently the only reason to equip a shield as Arms/Fury is if you need the extra armor to mitigate some physical damage. Before 5.4 it was required to use Shield Wall and Spell Reflection but due to equipment swapping being buggy for several expansions and no other class having a similar requirement to use their defensives Blizzard finally bit the bullet and removed them as requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Anuibus View Post
    shields are higher budget than a one hander, while lower than a two hander. as TG, you're going to be losing a huge chunk of strength and stamina
    Right, I forgot there was a stat loss for TG, my bad.
    And I actually didn't know it had more stat than a one-hander. Thank yo for correcting me.

equipping a sword and board decreases just about 10% of all physical dmg taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Auberdeen View Post
    Make that physical attack damage and it becomes significantly less useful in pve.

10+ Year Old Account
    Scenario...tank goes down, you taunt and DBTS followed by shield wall. After this good stuff is expired, sword and board is definitely useful, as you have a base block chance, which means you may survive slightly longer.

Quote Originally Posted by sjsctt View Post
    Scenario...tank goes down, you taunt and DBTS followed by shield wall. After this good stuff is expired, sword and board is definitely useful, as you have a base block chance, which means you may survive slightly longer.
    Tanks with significantly higher passive damage mitigation get crushed by anything that can be considered a boss unless they use their AM abilities. DPS with just a shield equipped doesn't stand a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by sjsctt View Post
    really, your survival lasts on how lucky you are to not take a critical hit which will instantly kill you in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Auberdeen View Post
    It's actually higher than that. As I said, when equipping a shield I go from ~45% physical damage reduction to ~55% physical damage reduction.
    So, a melee attack that should have dealt 100k damage without reduction will deal 45k instead of 55k. That's around 25% less physical damage recieved.

really, your survival lasts on how lucky you are to not take a critical hit which will instantly kill you in most cases.
    Pretty much this. Accidentally pulled threat on Heroic 25 Siegecrafter tonight (didn't get that Electrostatic Charge thankfully) since I forgot to switch out of Defensive from when I was running to the belt to survive Magnet+other stuff. Managed to take a normal hit to the face and didn't die. Thankfully the tanks taunted off of me and I realized that I was in the wrong stance and we proceeded to wipe to something unrelated to me pulling threat.

gotta use that subtle defender glyph bro

gotta use that subtle defender glyph bro
    No need, made a weakaura to check when in Defensive Stance as Arms and Fury.

Unless we go back in the days where plate DPSers could off-tank some stuff during boss fights, I don't think blizzard will ever support equipping a shield as a legit source of increasing dmg

Quote Originally Posted by Crushima View Post
    Obviously not working for you, since you almost killed yourself on Siegecrafter. Glyph ftw.
    Why some people feel the need of being jerks?
    He didn't expect to be in def stance, it was pretty damn clear that he made the aura AFTER said event - thus the aura has been working for him, since it didn't happen again.