Poll: Would you like a sub-only model?

Thread: Sub only model?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

Sub only model?

How would you feel about an MMO that had no box-price, or initial buy in. Just a flat $14.99 a month, and no cost for expansions?
    Last edited by Wakwazu; 2014-01-08 at 06:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would call it heaven.
    "The sword is mightier than the pen, and considerably easier to kill with."

tbh i prefer b2p with non p2w micro transactions.

My question is whether or not this setup would be profitable (enough) or not. You get what you (collectively) pay for.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zhinkis View Post
    tbh i prefer b2p with non p2w micro transactions.
    That's my preference as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    My question is whether or not this setup would be profitable (enough) or not. You get what you (collectively) pay for.
    Honestly, I think it has the potential to do quite well. You remove the initial barrier of entry of a box price so you're opening your game to a larger market. And considering box sales are only a temporary boost for MMO's, with longterm monetization being key (subs/cash shop purchases), this has that aspect covered.

OT: It's not a model I'd prefer, but it's a model I'd have no problems with if the game was good enough.

I would be more than okay with such an MMO.

Truthfully, I don't mind sub fees if I feel the game is giving me a good value for that fee. It is simply the case that I often do not find such games sufficient long term.

Yet in the case of something like TOR, which is now F2P but no longer has a box price or expansion costs I felt the sub fee was well worth it. During TOR's launch I didn't feel that way. I felt the box price + sub only model didn't offer enough incentive and gameplay quality for me to pay a sub.

Now, I get the xpacks, bonuses and monthly allowances for the $14/mo in TOR. That's worth the fee with all the new content I have yet to do.

Situations such as TOR are when I think a sub model is ideal.

The last MMO I was willing to pay a full on sub fee was Rift. Rift eventually went F2P. For a time I remained subbed to Rift, but the sub bonuses weren't all that great for me. So I prefer to buy credits ala carte and play freely. The Secret World is similar to my Rift experience.

I didn't feel the gameplay quality and enjoyment was high enough for me in Final Fantasy 14, World of Warcraft and Tera to remain a subscriber to those games recently. Would not sub to those games for leisure. Though I would be willing to try out new expansions or content if sufficiently interesting. Considering I already own the boxes or can engage freely in the case of Tera.

In the perfect world of my mind, MMOs would never charge for the box or expansions. All MMOs would provide content freely as Rift and Tera. But would offer a sub fee or ala carte cash shop credits. With subscription being a bonus to QoL and not an access to content- something TOR does wrong.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2014-01-08 at 06:55 PM.

Generally, no. It can make you feel obligated to play the game as to not to waste any of the money you spent on it, by playing as much as you can. Whereas a sub-free game can be enjoyed at your own leisure.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I never quite understood that argument. There's really nothing else in life that I find myself "obligated to do as often as possible" simply because it cost money, so I'm confused as to how that's a factor in playing a game.
    It's a simple argument that is applied to anything you use money on.

Do you want to buy a bunch of groceries and have them sit there till they go bad, then throw them away without every using them?

People will, generally, feel more inclined to actually use the groceries because they did cost money. Otherwise you're actually throwing money away.

Most that have a good sense of money management understand this.

Yea, that's like saying I have an obligation to drink every bottle of wine from our club W subscription or watch every stream-able film on Netflix.

It seems like personal mania that drives one to "play as much as possible" due to sub fee.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, my choice would be in the area of buying the game + sub, or only sub. Would not mind a sub alone, though I do not think it holds much profit for the company. Of course, if they do not wish to take part in events other than needed - then you could. Though, I am a little of a sucker for Collector's Editions. Hehe.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2014-01-08 at 07:25 PM.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Doesn't SWTOR offer a sub-only model? I know you can play free (with restrictions) or subscribe for limitless access.

I prefer P2P with some limited F2P. Many ask for F2P and B2P while all the examples of those are crap, is the conclusion too tough for people? Sub only sounds pretty good, that's... Runescape?
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
    Doesn't SWTOR offer a sub-only model? I know you can play free (with restrictions) or subscribe for limitless access.
    Unsure, you had to buy it when I started. hehe. Though, I do not dare to return to there. Cannot use F2P to have a look of the game is worth it anymore due to only able to access 2 chars, half my bank - and half my gear is restricted till I sub. So, it'll gather dust still.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
    It's F2P with restrictions. Subscriptions unlock all those restrictions, and you can also unlock them one at a time by buying the appropriate unlocks from either the cash shop, or from the auction house (they're sellable).

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Unsure, you had to buy it when I started. hehe. Though, I do not dare to return to there. Cannot use F2P to have a look of the game is worth it anymore due to only able to access 2 chars, half my bank - and half my gear is restricted till I sub. So, it'll gather dust still.
    So much incorrect about swtors F2P in your post... so much.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

I never quite understood that argument. There's really nothing else in life that I find myself "obligated to do as often as possible" simply because it cost money, so I'm confused as to how that's a factor in playing a game.
    Then perhaps it doesn't apply to you then.

But for me, when I spend money on something I like to get my money's worth.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Erm, what? You have at least 4 character slots if you bought the game or subscribed at some point, and you also have access to your bank. Your gear is restricted to anything below epic, but you can easily purchase the unlock for it off the GTN if you have a few hundred thousand credits laying about.

I would call that EVE Online.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Erm, what? You have at least 4 character slots if you bought the game or subscribed at some point, and you also have access to your bank. Your gear is restricted to anything below epic, but you can easily purchase the unlock for it off the GTN if you have a few hundred thousand credits laying about.
    Also, if you were a subscriber, all the epic gear you were wearing is authorized.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

What is "my money's worth" in this case? Seems entirely subjective, not to mention that the expectations often seem somewhat unreasonable.

For $15/month, I could play for 5 hours/month and that would actually be a pretty good entertainment value, by my measuring.

Playing past the point of enjoyment for the sake of getting more value out of your dollar seems like an entirely self-defeating concept.
    Yes, it is subjective. I'm not trying to speak on your behalf, I'm speaking on my own behalf