Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NYC17 View Post
    It isn't superficial in the least. In the context of American politics, being considered left because you support EQUAL rights does not do any favors for conservatism. I wasn't criticizing your specific use of it, rather the concept as a whole and how it applies in a practical sense. The average person does not give a shit whether you consider Cheney to be neo-liberal, neo-conservative, or whatever other label seems to fit today.
    No it doesn't do them any favors at all, but it's their own fault for demonizing liberals. Conservatives should be able to lean on liberal ideology when appropriate, much like liberals should be able to do the same for conservative issues. Instead, we have the environment being liberal, ignoring that it was conserving our land when Sierra Club started. Gun rights are conservative, even though they are being liberal with granting gun rights.

A lot of it has to do with perspective, which is a problem with civil rights... Because conserving civil rights instead of expending them, is very difficult to argue outside of a bigoted perspective... It's a strange area to put your conservative foot down, but I disagree with it, so me finding it strange is par for the course.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    I question whether or not the average person understands the difference between "liberal/conservative" and "Democrat/Republican."
    I think both perpetuate the confusion, which the thread with that fox video demonstrates. The fact that the lines are drawn so harshly, just reinforces the confusion. An issue can be conservative and liberal, simply depending on what you aim to conserve versus what you aim to expand. Environment is conserving the land, while cutting funding to environmental causes is fiscally conservative.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    It's also part of why our power grid is so vulnerable.

For power that crosses state lines you have a point... but not all power does (or must) as a matter of course.
    I don't think it must, but it should. We generate more clean energy in WA than any other state. One of the main factors is the Grand Coulee damn, which exists due to nature and not just man's ingenuity. Other states simply do not have access to the same natural resources we do. It only makes sense to distribute the energy of those who have too much, to those who do not have enough. I guess it would be energy welfare?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    I don't think it must, but it should. We generate more clean energy in WA than any other state. One of the main factors is the Grand Coulee damn, which exists due to nature and not just man's ingenuity. Other states simply do not have access to the same natural resources we do. It only makes sense to distribute the energy of those who have too much, to those who do not have enough. I guess it would be energy welfare?
    Oh you CAN. No one is saying you SHOULDN'T be able to sell that electricity to other states.

I'm just saying it's silly to have that fall under the purview of the central government.

It's also part of why our power grid is so vulnerable.
    Or power grid is vulnerable because one terrorists grow brains and realize we have high tension lines in the middle of nowhere with no security. Two charges of C4 and half a major city goes dark and nobody has a fucking clue who done it.

10+ Year Old Account
    For power that crosses state lines you have a point... but not all power does (or must) as a matter of course.
    Actually, power crosses state lines and even international borders on a pretty much continuous basis. Electricity is really damn fungible.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Like I said. I've heard of no one but the NJEA claim Christie was a bully.

And the NJEA can fuck themselves with razor blades for all I care.
    You must have your head so far in the sand it's amazing you can read this site. His bullying is such a well-known meme even The Onion is spoofing it.
    Go back and read the article on page one which is chock full of examples of his bullying behavior. Just one example:
    In 2011, Mr. Christie held a news conference where he accused State Senator Richard J. Codey of being “combative and difficult” in blocking two nominees. Mr. Codey, a Democrat who had served as governor following the resignation of James E. McGreevey, responded that he had not only signed off on the nominations, but had held a meeting to try to hurry them along.

Three days later, Mr. Codey was walking out of an event in Newark when he got a call from the state police superintendent informing him that he would no longer be afforded the trooper who accompanied him to occasional public events — a courtesy granted all former governors. That same day, his cousin, who had been appointed by Mr. McGreevey to the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, was fired, as was a close friend and former deputy chief of staff who was then working in the state Office of Consumer Affairs.

“I understand politics, that a new administration comes in,” Mr. Codey said, but he believed this was not about Mr. Christie bringing in his own people. “This was all about sending a message.”

The governor laughed at the allegation of retribution, and his spokesman belittled the Democratic Party chairman who complained about it.
    That last line is the best part, what with Christie sarcastically mocking reporters about how he was the one moving the cones in this whole traffic mess...
    Last edited by BrerBear; 2014-01-10 at 10:21 PM.
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just cant see his staff openly lying to him for 3+ months about such a story like this. It's not like he would have just asked them about it when the story broke in September, and they all said "No way boss!" and that was that. There has been subpeonas and testimony going on for months, not just the most recent stuff.

Those guys must have been pretty good fucking liars given the circumstances.
    Last edited by Payday; 2014-01-10 at 10:22 PM.

Here's that Maddow theory I mentioned earlier

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh you CAN. No one is saying you SHOULDN'T be able to sell that electricity to other states.

I'm just saying it's silly to have that fall under the purview of the central government.
    I'll say you shouldn't be able to sell electricity to other states. Due to regional/natural advantages, it should be federally distributed. I don't think a state should claim rights to natural resources. It creates a crisis where intelligent distribution would even it out.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi