10+ Year Old Account

Full Grievous dropping MMR to 1200

My death knight buddy just hit 90 this week so today I was doing some 2s with him.
    He's pretty poorly geared, doesn't make it above 400k HP outside of blood pres.

Yesterday we did about 30 arenas to get him his grievous weapon, ended up around 1300 MMR.

So today we queue, and our first 9 arenas were against people in full grievous, some had maybe a tyrannical ring.
    I armoried over half of them, and the rest of them I can judge by their health that they're pretty geared. (480k average)

So why is it pretty much the common thing to do, for these full grievous people to drop their MMR to around 1200 to do 2s?
    Why is this even possible, and why do these people feel the need?

It's entirely FAR more common to see somebody in near full grievous in low MMR 2s, than it is to see somebody actually trying to gear up.

To add, not one of them had any 3s/rbg/5s ratings so the only way for them to have got that gear, was through 2s. So it's not like they geared up through 3s, then decided to do some 2s.

quick easy points, helping a friend like you are doing, ect. Its far easier and faster to drop 10 games then fight semi-competent healer/dps

Random BG's or Call to Arms give you conquest. You dont need to do arena or RBG's to get conquest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reveries1 View Post
    Random BG's or Call to Arms give you conquest. You dont need to do arena or RBG's to get conquest.
    150 conquest once a day, and 75 for each consecutive win is no reliable way to gear up.
    Especially when alliance only have a positive win ratio in 2 of the what, 12 maps?
    Not to mention most random BGs are crowded with OQ premades.

Quote Originally Posted by Buxton McGraff View Post
    150 conquest once a day, and 75 for each consecutive win is no reliable way to gear up.
    Especially when alliance only have a positive win ratio in 2 of the what, 12 maps?
    Not to mention most random BGs are crowded with OQ premades.
    You just contradicted yourself. Maybe alliance have a negative win ratio, but that would mean horde would have a positive win ratio. You face horde and potentially the same ppl populating those premades in arena... So for those groups of ppl, random bg wins are a reliable way to gear up.

don't need to, but its far far far faster to q up low mmr 2s to cap out.

Quote Originally Posted by openair View Post
    You just contradicted yourself. Maybe alliance have a negative win ratio, but that would mean horde would have a positive win ratio. You face horde and potentially the same ppl populating those premades in arena... So for those groups of ppl, random bg wins are a reliable way to gear up.
    So everyone who wants to gear up plays Horde? gotcha

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    So everyone who wants to gear up plays Horde? gotcha
    /sigh... Never said that. Only horde can make premades (with OQ)??? No, alliance can make premades as well. I only mentioned horde win ratio because he mentions alliance random bg win ratio while complaining about how geared ppl are in arena. Arena is populated by both fractions, not only the negative bg win ratio one.
    Last edited by openair; 2014-01-08 at 10:36 PM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buxton McGraff View Post
    My death knight buddy just hit 90 this week so today I was doing some 2s with him.
    He's pretty poorly geared, doesn't make it above 400k HP outside of blood pres.

Yesterday we did about 30 arenas to get him his grievous weapon, ended up around 1300 MMR.

So today we queue, and our first 9 arenas were against people in full grievous, some had maybe a tyrannical ring.
    I armoried over half of them, and the rest of them I can judge by their health that they're pretty geared. (480k average)

So why is it pretty much the common thing to do, for these full grievous people to drop their MMR to around 1200 to do 2s?
    Why is this even possible, and why do these people feel the need?

It's entirely FAR more common to see somebody in near full grievous in low MMR 2s, than it is to see somebody actually trying to gear up.

To add, not one of them had any 3s/rbg/5s ratings so the only way for them to have got that gear, was through 2s. So it's not like they geared up through 3s, then decided to do some 2s.
    Well there is also the consideration that they are actually that bad!! With how easy it is to cap points nowadays you will get your gear at a slower rate than high rated ppl, but not that slow. And by this time in the season everyone who has been capping each week will be more or less full Griev.

Cant remember how many times last season i would bump into full tyrannical muppets around 1200-1500 when i came late into the season with my mage, losing to healer dps cause you cant do enough damage so they can stay alive with bad play is screen smashingly annoying!!

But ye if i wanna boost a mate on my warrior its far quicker to tank 10 games and build from there than spend 15mins trying to kill healer/dps teams at higher rating.

Answer is no rewards for 2s therefore no one gives a toss about rating really, which just makes the bracket even worse than it is already for imbalance

thats because every fucking noob nowadays can get full gear. its not a skill-related .... you just have to invest like 1 hour every week.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Fast cap and that's it, people doing 2s that is. Do you use your pvp gear for anything more than capping in 2s?
    I like to go to random bgs have some fun that may be winning or in a fail team just hk farming.
    Or i go out and defend when I see Storwind/Orgrmmar is under attack.
    I cannot find people to join me though, most people who I know that pvp just cap and that is about it besides sitting in a city or the shrines.
    I am not connected with 3s at this time, does not interest me.
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Deleted
    Yea capping 16K conq points doing only bg´s is totally doable. You "ONLY" need 213 bg´s win to do it.

Lets say a neutral bg win of 50%... so 426 bg´s played
    Lets say 15min avg time for a bg with que times already added.

So you only need to sit in a bg for 4½ day constant to cap out.

TOTALLY doable.

/Sarcasm of

Wake up dude

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Peruh View Post
    thats because every fucking noob nowadays can get full gear. its not a skill-related .... you just have to invest like 1 hour every week.
    Not the wording I'd use but this. This late into the season, anyone who capped every week will have full Grievous by now, regardless of how bad or good they are.
    Some people might drop their MMR for easier wins, other people might just suck but enjoy playing arena, that's it.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    What frustrates me the most about this thread right now is that you're all so polarized in your opinions that you can't see that you're ALL RIGHT.

-People tank rating in 2s every season to farm Conq to gear up and thus be more competitive in 3s and RBG faster.
    -People do premade BGs on both sides to farm Conq and you forgot, HAVE FUN!
    -Horde and Alliance aren't so disparate in Random BGs. Both factions suck in Random BGs. It's all depends on battlegroup and what time the preteens and housewives are playing. Whoever has the greater number of people who are together wins. If a faction is dominant it's because there are more people in your battlegroup on that side that realized getting together on vent/skype/etc means you win.

If you want to help your friend gear up then invest more time. He needs to get some honor gear and THEN get conquest gear so he's not a squishy person. That's how progression is supposed to work. You get the first tier from honor so you're not a bag of crap and THEN get the conquest gear. Just because you're trying to drag him through before he's invested the time just means you're going to run into situations where he's going to get wrecked, and that's because you're skipping steps. It's life.

Deleted
    Everyone says their own faction looses most of BGs but i disagree, if you focus on doing objectives in BGs and inspire your team to do the same your chance to win is greatly increased. The ones that loose more than half of their BGs are the ones that just try to farm HKs instead of going for the objectives.

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    Yea capping 16K conq points doing only bg´s is totally doable. You "ONLY" need 213 bg´s win to do it.

TOTALLY doable.

/Sarcasm of

Wake up dude
    Not getting involved in this conversation, I'm not really a PvP guy so I won't pretend to know the fastest and most efficient route to anything... BUT. Pretending that people don't invest hundreds and hundreds of hours in their chosen WoW activities all the time is naive.

When I was highly active, my guildmates and I often spent upwards of 7-8 hours a day (4-5 days a week) playing what we liked.

What you're suggesting would only take a couple weeks to people who are either younger, don't have a job, or have no life and are in college... and let's be honest. There are a LOT of WoW players who fit that category.
    I think I've had enough of removing avatars today that feature girls covered in semen. Closing.
    -Darsithis

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post

TOTALLY doable.

/Sarcasm of

Wake up dude
    7days x 150first win=1050
    16BG's x 75addition wins=1200
    16+7=23totalBG's(2200)cap
    23/7= Just over 3 BG wins a day?

I was not saying Randoms are the fastest or best way to cap I was just pointing out that its not impossible or unreasonable for someone who doesnt do arena or RBG's to be full capped and have the best pvp gear. I havent been PvPing for years upon years but I can tell you when I started I was not doing arena/RBG's so I assume their are others like me.

The simplest way to see if the OP's opponent tanked rating would be to look at his win/loss in 2's. But he just looked at rating so ya, cant tell ya. Tanking rating to get someone gear to then come back and work for rating makes a lot of sense for me. If you are able to carry an under geare player at your current rating then something is most definitely wrong. You can also have great players tank their rating to offer paid carries to people. Its all part of the system and while you may run into them sometimes I dont find it happening as much as some people seem to be saying in this thread.

BG Conquest payout is still horrible and healers are still allowed to turn 2s in to a living nightmare.

So yeah...People are going to drop games if only to side-step that BS.

Heh, I am in the situation described by the OP.
    Me and a mate started doing 2s a couple of days a week, not every week, 2-3 hours each session and was not that hard to cap conquest.
    What also helps, is that the cap rises each week if you don't reach it, so you don't fall behind. One evening we had some time, went for 8k CP, not that hard, but our rating is still ~1300 (69 wins, 76 losses this season). We play mage / uh dk and I suck so much, lol.
    I don't have yet full Grev, but pretty close.