Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by NesQuek View Post
    People are using glyph of guard during high physical fights? I thought this was theory crafted to be subpar way early on in the expansion.
    Guard glyph can be useful not for the 10% increase (because that's a pitiful amount really) but because it blocks only magic damage and BrMs have almost no defense against magic. For example, on heroic Siegecrafter, he hits like an absolute truck during Protective Frenzy. If you Guard there, you'll block a couple of his swings. However, if he uses Electrostatic Charge during this time and is swinging like a madman and your Guard was already eaten up, you can get gibbed very quickly. If you have the glyph of Guard though, the normal swings don't eat through it and you eliminate the spike in damage from the Charge. It's more damage taken overall, but no one actually cares about overall damage taken as a tank. The important part is making sure you don't take 1 million damage in 0.5 seconds.

I understand that I'm working on H Siegecrafter myself but the way he described it was using it for healing while off tanking and for increased healing, which results in more damage taken.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NesQuek View Post
    I understand that I'm working on H Siegecrafter myself but the way he described it was using it for healing while off tanking and for increased healing, which results in more damage taken.
    As i see it, if there isn't something like Execute to absorb just popping guard to reduce 2-3 melee swings mid fight is pointless, as Total described in either you can live through the damage flow or you can't, holding it up for a few seconds wont save you. Timing it for big physical hits, or blanketing for constant magic dots or burst magic damage is the best way to play Guard imo. E.g. on Juggernaught hc after i've popped my DH on the breaths and tank swap to go for bombs i pop the guard to soak a few ticks of the magic dot and give me a solid 30% extra hp on my expel+purify in the air, same during transitions i also hold Chi for guards so i can guard+expel+purify in the air and then drop 1-2 healing spheres where i land. With the glyph the healing is very potent.

Of course milage does vary, but non-glyphed guard has very few uses in Siege imo as no bosses use abilties that line up well with it that the glyph wont catch, except Nazgrim, (and maybe paragons hc or something but thats far off for me personally).

Part of the reason why i love the guard glyph so much is that its wonderful for soloing old raids, celestials etc.