10+ Year Old Account

Server population pros and cons

I'm heavily considering a comeback in the near future because WoD looks pretty cool. That being said, I'm also considering a re-roll on Alliance-side because I don't feel like dropping the cash to transfer.

My question is this: I've been out of the game for a while now, with all the new developments to the game, what are the pros and cons to a high-pop server? What about medium and low?

From what I gather a lot of stuff can be done cross-realm now, so it seems like server population is almost totally a preference. Is that correct?

The appeal of medium and low-pop servers used to be that it was easier to farm rares and control/manipulate the AH (a med-pop server being far more ideal for AH manipulation, since there are more buyers). With connected realms and CRZ, these are far less relevant now than previously.

The main allure of med/low pop servers is that you get to know everyone on your server well (especially if you do current content raiding and other group content like heroic scenarios/world bosses). There may or may not be less trolling in trade chat than on a larger-pop server.

With high pop/full servers, there is far more undercutting in AH, and it feels like a big city. On full servers, you won't be hurting to find someone for a raid, but you might have to deal with server queue times.

It's important to note that there is a lot of variety between servers, even among high pop and full servers. It feels dead every time I log into my high-pop Alliance server...part of this reason is because many people are now rerolling on mega-pop servers such as Stormrage and Area 52.

Personally I prefer high pop/full servers. With the reintroduction of world bosses, getting a group together on low-pop servers (or being on the wrong faction for a high-pop server) for these bosses can be time-consuming at best and impossible at worst (although again, with connected realms this has become less significant of an issue than previously).

Heirlooms are cross-server now so don't be afraid to check out a few servers before making your decision. Good luck.
    Last edited by Celista; 2014-01-09 at 03:17 PM.

I think with connected realms , low pop server won't be a reality anymore.

With Wod i don't want to imagine queues on the high pop servers 45 min waiting etc

Said it milions of times before, dont come back now its the end of an exp. U dont sit on any achi nor gear so u wont be able to accomplish anything. U will like everyone else get bored in a week. Srsly check back when its getting close to WOD
    Im not saying this to bash, just met few people in same seat as u and it always been the same thing

About the server pop ive been on a big server since TBC, the pro is that there has been easy to find people for raids etc but the con is the queues. There are still queues today on some nights. On WoD Launch its seriously gonna be insane

With Openraid/Oqueue and Connected Realm I belive playing on smaller realms is pretty viable now a days and Ive might consider that if i were starting over.

I understand. Low pop servers will not take that long. It will just make users difficult to surf the net.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
    Said it milions of times before, dont come back now its the end of an exp. U dont sit on any achi nor gear so u wont be able to accomplish anything. U will like everyone else get bored in a week.
    I don't know what it is you play the game for, but for many players, the "between expansions" time is laid-back and fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the replies.

I understand where the game is in terms on expansion lifecylce, which is honestly one reason I'm picking now to return. If I do indeed re-roll, I want to be 90 when WoD hits. And yes, I am aware of the character boost, but part of the reason I want to level this next character is because I want to find a comfortable home.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is going to be no such thing as low pop soon since they are merging realms so they are all full.
    Aye mate

10+ Year Old Account
    Are the AHs all cross-realm now? I thought it was implemented after I left the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edoran View Post
    Are the AHs all cross-realm now? I thought it was implemented after I left the game.
    Realms composed of connected realms have a merged Auction House. Other than that, no.

As others have said, with the ongoing connected realms project that Blizzard is in the middle of doing low population servers will eventually be a thing of the past. That said, high population servers--or at least a high faction population--tend to have more aggressive economies, lower prices but more selling--but more competition of rares, resources and the like. Also something of a healthier raiding scene although this can be misleading if the raiding scene is mostly made up of guilds who rarely recruit. Nonetheless, that's something to think about with regard to whatever game you play in WoW.

You didn't ask but I have to say that while I don't do a huge amount of actual RP myself, I find RP realms to be friendlier and more like a 'community' in the sense of a realm being an actual community. Although I still think it best that you scout around for a good guild that will suit your gaming purposes and make that the basis of your personal community.

Good luck.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

One thing to be aware of is Cross Realm Zones which are different than merged realms. Basically in the leveling area they combine a bunch of server's "together" (though you can't trade gold or use their AH) in certain zones to make them feel alive.

This creates 2 noticeable differences: 1. Ganking in a few well known zones. I play on a pvp server and I level on them and its not as bad as people claim. However. hellfire peninsula, Nagrand and Blasted Lands do have tons of gankers and should be avoided.

2. You no longer can join a dead server for easy farming of rares.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MAXCAVALERA View Post
    I think with connected realms , low pop server won't be a reality anymore.

With Wod i don't want to imagine queues on the high pop servers 45 min waiting etc
    45 min waiting? That's nothing.

I remember 6 hours Queue time early MoP. And they were legit 6 hours queue. Sometimes even longer. The first week it was even above 6 hours after work time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yindoo View Post
    They'll merge certain servers to reach the status med or high & not "full".
    For now. But as Soon As wod launches every single realm is going to be packed to the point of having hour q's. Lucky I know a cheat to never go afk lol.
    Aye mate