Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Leveling Blacksmithing. Which way is best?

Should i level it with ghost iron or the old fashioned way. Which way is better? I see some recipes later on take like 75 bars per craft which is just ridiculous.

http://www.wow-professions.com/wowgu...ing-guide.html
    This guide lists all the mats you're going to need to level 1-600 the old fashioned way and what to spend those mats on.
    Can't say wether to level with ghost iron or the old fashioned way though.

My personal preference is to level normally.

The old fashioned way is considerably cheaper but may take more time / require some farming.

Ghost iron way is costly but quick.

Up to you.

retired, another victim of warlords of draenor

If it's like the cooking leveling, then each recipe would give 5 skillups each time it's made, it's something to consider when comparing the cost of leveling.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Go the Ghost Iron way.

At lower level mats it might be Cheaper but once you hit Fel Iron and Cobalt and the like it becomes costly.

Ghost Iron you can get relatively easy with mining as well and isn't nowhere near as sparse as some lower lvl nodes.

I'd use the old fashioned way at least until you start getting into BC and WotLK materials. All the pre-BC ores are abundant (I didn't even pick up most of while levelling my last character) as well as Cata and MoP ores. The main culprit while levelling Blacksmithing would be Cobalt, with Fel Iron not far behind. Everything else is easily farmable.

Deleted
    I levelled BS last week at a cost of about 4k gold the old fashioned way. I bought about 2/3rds of the mats off the ah and farmed the remaining stuff with a miner alt (fel iron and thorium which was costly on the ah). Felt pretty fast and easy but I guess it depends what your server economy is like.

Quote Originally Posted by citrique View Post
    The old fashioned way is considerably cheaper but may take more time / require some farming.

Ghost iron way is costly but quick.

Up to you.
    Precisely this. I would suggest going classic materials up until Fel Iron/Adamantite, using ghost iron, and getting out of TBC mats ASAP.

A mix of both; go with whichever recipe is the most skillups per cost of mats.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Should i level it with ghost iron or the old fashioned way. Which way is better? I see some recipes later on take like 75 bars per craft which is just ridiculous.
    Well the thing is when Blizzard implemented the catch up change to Blacksmithing, folks were expecting it to be the "best" way to level up. Even the devs said that they don't recommend power levelling through Ghost Iron Ore.

They change was to help people levelling up Blacksmithing and to give them options at choke points. Say if there wasn't enough Fel Iron Ore on the AH, its a bit easier to get through those 50 levels. Similarly with Cobalt and such.

Its simply ridiculous to even consider unless you really are sitting on mines of gold. It would take you a minimum of 50K and that is the minimum.

You could probably level up BS for around 15K if you did the old fashioned way and bought everything from the AH. The best thing I found is to pay a miner. That is what I do for most of my professions. I'll pay a farmer a fair price and they farm everything I need. Its efficient and quicker.

The choke points for the old method will be around fel iron bar, adamantite bars, and cobalt. All three of those are likely to be much more expensive than ghost iron, and even with those levels requiring a significant amount of ghost iron it would still be worth it in both time and gold. Copper to thorium is quite plentiful, so even if the prices happen to be high on your AH at any particular time you could easily gather them in no time if you have a miner. Fel iron, adamantite, and cobalt are all much more difficult to collect due to cross-realm and far less prevalent node spawns. Saronite can occasionally be pricy but is plentiful, same for the Cata ores.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depending, do you have a already 600 miner? then do it with Ghost Iron Bars, if you are buying everything? then do it old way with the guide that was posted up above, I level all my professions with that site.

10+ Year Old Account
    if you are leveling the "character" and just choosing a profession for it, i'd suggest leveling normally, but mining for a good portion of your xp along the way.
    then when you reach max level, unlearn the mining and pick up the smithing. then you will have all the mats you need stored away to painlessly rush the skill to 600.

honestly though, right now i wouldnt put any effort and especially gold into a smith. for one thing, there's really nothing worth selling aside from 28-day cd pants. and you wont get many of those made to justify an "income" before WoD, maybe 6-7 pairs at the most, and prices are way down on them already.

also the only active-benefit, the bracer/glove sockets are going to be much much less usefull in 6.0 with the change in stats and gems getting totally borked.

personally, this xpac i've dropped smithing on 5 characters in favor of ench for free mats, and alch for more xmutes to supply my engineers for pet/mount sales.
    Last edited by Bad Ashe; 2014-01-09 at 06:32 PM.

Check prices for each leveling section and then decide. For example, copper bars usually are 15-20g a stack, it would be much cheaper to use those than Ghost Iron. However, Obsidium bars are usually around 200g/stack, so for those skillups it would be better to use Ghost Iron.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mix of both ^^
    "If you are what you HAVE and you lose what you have, what then are you? But if you are what you ARE and you lose what you have, no man controls your destiny".

Quote Originally Posted by Aus Nate View Post
    Depending, do you have a already 600 miner? then do it with Ghost Iron Bars, if you are buying everything? then do it old way with the guide that was posted up above, I level all my professions with that site.
    Even if someone was to have a level 600 Miner. It would take them close to 24 hours to mine the required mats. And they ain't even making a profit on that. They could simply level it the old way and make back the gold selling all that ore/bars on the AH.

Definitely not recommended.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebonheart View Post
    Even if someone was to have a level 600 Miner. It would take them close to 24 hours to mine the required mats. And they ain't even making a profit on that. They could simply level it the old way and make back the gold selling all that ore/bars on the AH.

Definitely not recommended.
    Funny thing, I don't keep anything I make while leveling a profession, unless I'm leveling something else aka chanting, it get given straight to the vendor.

Even with the new Ghost Iron recipes, the old way is still cheaper. On my high pop server, even Fel Iron / Adamantite is only around 50-60g, max 70g a stack, and you need far less Fel Iron / Adamantite than Ghost Iron to level from 300 to 375.

Deleted
    avoid the new way its about 10times more expensive, probably more dependign on server.

If you can, just farm old world mats yourself, takes hardly any time now.

Only annoying bit is the fel iron, so maybe go ghost iron catchup for that, otherwise, its all pretty quick and easy to do it the old way.,

I recently levelled BS and JC on an alt, and collected all teh mats myself, was quick and easy now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personal view:

Seeing how the market is on many servers, I would go old school and farm for the old materials, then auctioning off what you may have left. Ghost Iron is a too unstable market currently, prices jumping so much that you lose on it. So grab your mining pick as get working.

Reason Ghost Iron crafted 'prices' are so high, is because you take a shortcut and they think you will just get a pair of mist-piercing goggles. (Bonus nodes for herbs/veins).

But do yourself a favor, mine all you need from old materials to new, then craft your way through blacksmithing. Spamming Ghost Iron items is going to be too expensive overall, you could have used that ghost iron for something else.

Blacksmithing Guide - 'Shopping List'

A long list there, giving you an overall view of what you might need.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..