Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Leonardo DiCaprio to get an Oscar for Wolf of Wall Street performance??

So i've watched a lot of films where Leonardo DiCaprio stars in and he's great. Back when Titanic came out, I really thought he was just a boy actor who would eventually fall out of the limelight in 2.5 years. However his acting is just amazing and he really does deserve an Oscar. So people are speculating that he's gonna get one this time around, but I ask myself, is he getting one because the Academy feels he deserves it or because people(including himself) have openly stated that he should have gotten an Oscar by now???

My favorite performance by him is his speech in The Wolf of Wall Street. Oh man that made me pick up my damn phone as I was watching it. Superb acting, awesome directing. Here's the clip in question

DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW IF YOU DON'T WANT SOME OF THE MOVIE SPOILED FOR YOU.

NSFW LANGUAGE

Anyways, what do you guys think? Is the Academy just throwing him an Oscar because people are nagging? Or does it not matter since he's talented. If this movie doesn't get him an Oscar, idk what will IMO.
    Last edited by Rad1um; 2014-01-09 at 03:45 PM.

There has been so many great movies with great acting from DiCaprio so I have no idea if they're ever going to give him an oscar. Maybe they're just jelly

I hope so, he really deserves an Oscar and it's a shame he doesn't have one yet.

Leonardo DiCaprio is one of the best actors of our times in my opinion. He certainly isn't in my top 20, but he's close. The fact that he has yet to earn an Oscar is stupid, and I hope that if he does win one, it isn't a pity vote. He deserves recognition for his efforts and performances over the years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    He really does pick his parts incredibly well and he always seems to deliver an excellent performance. I think I first saw him in What's Eating Gilbert Grape and he has gone from strength to strength since then. I certainly agree that he's Oscar-worthy material.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

10+ Year Old Account
    DiCaprio turned a corner in his acting quality since he spent a year working with Tom Hanks and Daniel Day Lewis on Catch and Gangs. Everything he's put out since is absolute gold.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    What troubles my mind is that he hasn't won an oscar yet, easily one of the best actor of all time.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    He has been in some great films in the past, I don't see why he isn't deserving of one now.

The only thing I've seen that I actually liked him in was Basketball Diaries

Deleted
    DiCaprio definitely has a lot of performances that are Oscar material, but I don't think it will be this year yet. I haven't seen either of the films, but from what I read, it appears that Chiwetel Ejiofor is the most likely winner this year. A shame, 'cause I really like DiCaprio and even more when he partners up with Scorcese.

He is a great actor, but I can't see any way he'll end up with an oscar this year. Three words, Dallas Buyers Club.

10+ Year Old Account
    The movie was pretty meh to be honest, I don't know what's the hype. Lots of boobs and naked chicks don't make a movie... yet.

American Hustle was so much better.

Deleted
    What makes a great actor? It's not intended to be a stupid question Ofcourse I can easily see a bad actor, but what exactly defines the difference between a good and a really good one?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    The movie was pretty meh to be honest, I don't know what's the hype. Lots of boobs and naked chicks don't make a movie... yet.

American Hustle was so much better.
    Heard it's pretty boring.

10+ Year Old Account
    It'd be a shame if he wins male lead over Robert Redford in All is lost. (This is not to say he is not an amazing actor and it does really surprise me he doesn't have an academy award yet - I just think that Redford does what he does so amazingly this year).
    Last edited by Ratyrel; 2014-01-09 at 10:17 PM.

If he should get one it's because of his performance in wolfs of wall street, and not because he "deserves" one after being nominated so many times.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Heard it's pretty boring.
    That's because it's almost 3 hours long. The problem is that the first half an hour or so things are interesting and you kinda expect it to build up, then you get literally hour and a half of nothing but boobs, butts and random crap and then finally the last 40 minutes meaningful stuff starts to happen. Honestly, they could have shaved like 50 minutes off this movie and it would actually be better.

I was literally bored to death one and a half hour in, my GF was pretty happy with the movie, while I went on playing with my phone and much to my horror seen how long this movie is on IMDB. :/

I thought good movies/actors hadn't gotten Oscars in a good while....
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    This has Scent of a woman written all over it. Wolf of Wall Street was bad at best and they are throwing him an award.
    You cared enough to post.

Honestly, the Oscar should be his to lose this year. I see no competition in the Leading Actor category and Chiwetel Ejiofor's performance was mediocre imo. It was more script and supporting actors than him delivering an amazing performance.