Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Johnny Depp, Brad Pitt, Sigourney Weaver, Tom Cruise, Harrison Ford, Edward Norton and Samuel L. Jackson have apparently never won an oscar either. I don't consider DiCaprio any more worthy than that list, Norton and Ford in particular.
    Well I do agree with most of this list, besides Tom Cruise (who WAS a great actor imo). Brad Pitt is great IF he doesn't get a sterotype role for once. Samuel L Jackson IS great if they don't simply give him the tough black guy who says Motherfucker every 4 words.

But Sigourney Weaver and especially Edward Norton is just pure Oscar material.

As for Di Caprio, I heard some critics say the movie simply isn't Oscar material. Not because it's bad, on the contrary, but simply because of how the Oscars work.

Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    As for Di Caprio, I heard some critics say the movie simply isn't Oscar material. Not because it's bad, on the contrary, but simply because of how the Oscars work.
    How do the Oscars work? The only thing I've observed is that they attempt to be as infuriating as possible without being too obvious about it.

Give the man a damn oscar already!
    I want to become famous and win an oscar simply to just call him up on stage after accepting it and give him the damn thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    How do the Oscars work? The only thing I've observed is that they attempt to be as infuriating as possible without being too obvious about it.
    They tend to go for high-concept stuff, and they definitely seem to award people who play good guy main characters, as opposed to bad guy main characters. CF Tom Hanks in Philadelphia and Forrest Gump, and his almost win for Apollo 13 the year after.

I like Leonardo DiCaprio, I really do. However, he does get some great roles offered to him because he has a huge fanbase... and its understandable, women love him.

My only problem with him is no matter what role he plays... hes still Leonardo DiCaprio, I've yet to see him in a role where he really becomes the role (think Edward Norton American History X).

I would like to see him get a role that pushes him away from his comfort zone and win an oscar for it, purely because he clearly loves his job from an artistic point of view and not for fame and fortune.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, he got it, finally.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like I told my parents. Most of the winning people will be guys we aren't concerned with all that too much. It's sad but it's happened so many times in the last few years so I digress. They really should do a People's choice *Golden Globe* and what not just so we can see a more different approach to awards.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Eh, Golden Globes are "guess the Oscars", he'll probably get a nom, and he might win, but we'll see.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Award#History

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS), a professional honorary organization, maintains a voting membership of 5,783 as of 2012.

Academy membership is divided into different branches, with each representing a different discipline in film production. Actors constitute the largest voting bloc, numbering 1,311 members (22 percent) of the Academy's composition.

It's basically a popularity contest among Hollywood's elite. It's why people like George Clooney get nominated constantly, even though the man hasn't had a successful movie since... uhm, I can't think of any huge Clooney movies, actually. He's had some movies that have earned decent amounts of money, but they pale in comparison to DiCaprio's portfolio.

So, for whatever reason, DiCaprio isn't all that popular among his peers. If he were, he'd have won by now. The Oscars are never an indication of what's genuinely popular on the street.

There's no way anyone should get an Oscar for that waste of three hours. Leo just played Leo with a drug habit and probably less disposable income. I like the guy, I do, and I definitely think he deserved an Oscar before this, but don't put a black mark on his first win by attaching it to this garbage. I felt like Scorsese was trying to channel Fear And Loathing plus American Pie and instead landed squarely on The Naked Mile.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have to say I haven't seen him since Titanic.

EDIT: Googled just to be sure, forgot about Inception that brought some memories. Yeah he is good now

He'll eventually get a pity Oscar after all of this lobbying his publicists and torch bearers do for him. Not that he's not necessarily deserving of it. But film after film "oooh Leo's gonna get one this time!" It's going to be somewhat underwhelming when it actually happens and will likely be remembered as "that pity Oscar." It's kind of sad.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

I haven't seen any of the other movies, but this is far from DiCaprio's best acting performance... doesn't mean he won't win, but I hope it's on the merit of this one individual movie and not past performances. He's clearly talented, but his performance was hit and miss through different parts of the flick (which also wasn't as great as most everyone seems to think according to IMDB).

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought he was great in it, loved the movie, but I worry that it doesn't have the political message the Oscar's like. They have a great performance by Chiwetel Ejiofor, a black actor in a slave movie they can choose, and so I believe they will, even though it's not as good. Or they have McConaughey in a HIV, anti corporation movie.

So voting for Leo playing a white rich guy who fucks people over on wall street... long shot because LEO made it look fun.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Boy...Leo is maybe my favorite actor but I just didn't like Wolf of Wallstreet. His performance was good but I thought everyone else nominated for Best Actor (I haven't watched Bruce Dern in Nebraska yet) was better. I want him to get an Oscar but I don't like them giving Oscars for past work and sympathy (I felt that way with Sandra Bullocks win). I won't be mad if he wins but I'm not expecting him to win either.

I'm more annoyed that Joaquin Phoenix didn't get nominated for Her, though He was my favorite lead actor performance of the year.

This movie ruled and he's pretty much a god in it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    the jury is simply completely retarded
    Yeah I wonder how those fucktards even judge when there are actors like these that deserve 10 oscars.