Poll: Should Blizzard offer the playerbase the opportunity to submit their own models?

POLL: Valve's Steam Workshop added to WoW Yes/No

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ing-revolution

Someone made a thread which brought to my attention a feature already on Steam for marketing 3D models/skins to games. People knows much more about that than I do, but the TLR version of the idea is:

"Should Blizzard allow the playerbase to submit 3D models for mounts/transmog armour/pets to be sold through the cash shop?"

Few things :-

1) THIS ISN'T A THREAD ABOUT WHETHER THERE SHOULD BE A CASH SHOP OR NOT

2) BECAUSE OF "1)" THE PREVIOUS THREAD WAS VERY HARD TO FOLLOW THE "ON TOPIC" PARTS HENCE ME MAKING THIS POLL. Most of the people who focused on the OP seemed in favour of such a feature and it has great potential for expansion. However it was hard to tell because the majority of posts were complaining about the in-game shop feature altogether. Please try to avoid that in this thread.

There were a handful of great suggestions ~(imo) in the other thread - running the competition to award the money raised to a charity of the artists choice; having the artists name included somewhere in either the items name or elsewhere in game; awarding the artists a 'cut' of the profits (although that idea wasn't so popular).

Steam Workshop seems like a really creative idea. Azeroth is Blizzards creation so there would probably be a necessary veto on their part to keep things fitting in. But I'm sure there are some incredibly talented artists amongst the WoW playerbase who would be only too happy to provide a model for the mere pleasure of seeing them in game.

SO ANYWAY. TLR

Do you think adding a feature for players to submit their own 3D models for distribution via the in-game store or not? Feel free to explain why you feel either way; but try to stay on topic.

If you're reasons for not wanting such a feature are simply directly related to not wanting the in-game shop feature at all; there is no need to post in this thread; not because your opinion isn't valid; don't get me wrong; its just not relevant to this discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    it should be life the team fortress 2 workshop: People submit, Valve (in this case Blizzard™) reviews the best content and sell it on the shop

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    As with most ides of brand new features, I think the standalone concept itself is neat and wouldn't have many (if any) negative impacts when considered in isolation.

However, the question of whether it is worth the time to implement in Blizzard's eyes begs the question. There have been many features which Blizzard has marked as 'cool, but not something we have any concrete plans to implement', due to time constraints or cutting back on other additions or the whatnot. This idea strikes me as one of those.

Maybe once Project Titan is well underway and WoW is put on the backburner Blizz might consider a more community-oriented approach to designing content.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. Because there shouldn't be a cash shop.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

All games should follow the idea of fan created content. DotA 2 did this really well as well as Team Fortress and Skyrim. If developers allow players to create content it allows more diversity and more things to do as well as prolonging the life of their game.

I wouldn't mind them allowing this as long as Blizzard approves the mods before hand. (I don't want un lore friendly stuff in my game.)

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just no, I like community mods for games, not for MMO's.

Mounts = Do we really need to add mounts that don't fit into wow? Because thats what 99% of them will be.
    Transmog Armour = Honeslty, there is enough transmog stuff ingame as is, do we really need to have more? They have so much armor per Xpac anyway.
    Pets = Same as mounts.

I do however agree on the shop, but I think older now non available stuff should be put up there ie. Corrupt Ashbringer (would have to have a nice pricetag imo), or even old ZA and ZG mounts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ing-revolution

1) THIS ISN'T A THREAD ABOUT WHETHER THERE SHOULD BE A CASH SHOP OR NOT

[/B]
    Quote Originally Posted by ViridianWRA View Post
    No. Because there shouldn't be a cash shop.
    I guess you cannot read?

Anyway, if they move to alot more cash shop mounts etc i think it would be a good idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mackie View Post
    I guess you cannot read?

Anyway, if they move to alot more cash shop mounts etc i think it would be a good idea.
    Read it. Doesn't change the fact that there shouldn't be a cash shop, hence shouldn't be a "Steam Workshop" style cash shop. Because there shouldn't be a cash shop at all.

Regardless of style or intent, there shouldn't be a cash shop.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

Read it. Doesn't change the fact that there shouldn't be a cash shop, hence shouldn't be a "Steam Workshop" style cash shop. Because there shouldn't be a cash shop at all.

Steam Workshop isn't a cash shop, its a place to locate player made content and modifications for free download or approval by developers. How people are making the connection between the Steam Workshop and a cash shop is confusing me.

An excellent point; thank you for your irrelevant contribution. If it helps get the idea into your head; what if the "winning models" became rewards from the latest "Proving Grounds" feature or welp, anything attainable in game. Will that help you make a useful contribution?

Quote Originally Posted by Aus Nate View Post
    Just no, I like community mods for games, not for MMO's.
    Why would they not work for MMOs? I don't think the idea would work without heavy Blizzard restrictions and vetos to ensure they maintain fidelity to the Azeroth theme.

Mounts = Do we really need to add mounts that don't fit into wow? Because thats what 99% of them will be.
    Pets = Same as mounts.
    See above ^

Transmog Armour = Honeslty, there is enough transmog stuff ingame as is, do we really need to have more? They have so much armor per Xpac anyway.
    Do you really think there isn't any scope for new armour sets in WoW? Really?

I do however agree on the shop, but I think older now non available stuff should be put up there ie. Corrupt Ashbringer (would have to have a nice pricetag imo), or even old ZA and ZG mounts.
    Whilst I don't nevessarily disagree with you; I think that would cause a LOT more upset than the current model of exclusive models being in the shop
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Whilst I don't nevessarily disagree with you; I think that would cause a LOT more upset than the current model of exclusive models being in the shop
    See, I don't have an issue spending money on wow mounts/pets and stuff. I think people that do, are either broke, or tight asses (no offense), MOST people on my realm don't have issue with spending money, on them, specially when they are just released server is packed with them.
    I also don't see it as a money grab more than DLC/XPAC's you want something new.. buy it? they give us enough mounts in game for free. Has to be over 150 mounts just from rep/ach's/dungeons/raids.

See, I don't have an issue spending money on wow mounts/pets and stuff. I think people that do, are either broke, or tight asses (no offense), MOST people on my realm don't have issue with spending money, on them, specially when they are just released server is packed with them.
    I also don't see it as a money grab more than DLC/XPAC's you want something new.. buy it? they give us enough mounts in game for free. Has to be over 150 mounts just from rep/ach's/dungeons/raids.
    I just figured the older crowd would be annoyed at the excusivity of those earlier no-longer-obtainable rewards becoming available for cash

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    The majority of older players that did older content, are not still playing wow, its a different community now days, no doubt they'd probably complain, hell I complained to my guild and my realid mates about the RAF mounts (I had zhevra from when it was first available, same with rocket) now any person can get them.
    But I'll say times have changed and will keep changing, but I don't want it to change to player made content ingame, and end up with MLP or something in game, cause some person made it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just figured the older crowd would be annoyed at the excusivity of those earlier no-longer-obtainable rewards becoming available for cash
    This is an argument rooted by those who wish to remain special snowflakes. "If everyone has a recolored raven mount, my raven mount won't be special and make people jealous anymore." People who oppose re-introduction are usually attention whores.

I'd be for it, since I'm a modeller. But WoW's starting to age considerably, I don't know if user-generated content is the way to go to revitalize the community.

Maybe for a new game, like Heroes of the Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    This is an argument rooted by those who wish to remain special snowflakes. "If everyone has a recolored raven mount, my raven mount won't be special and make people jealous anymore." People who oppose re-introduction are usually attention whores.
    And anybody who uses the special snowflake excuse is a hypocrite. You are simply caught on the wrong end of being special and as a result hate those who DO feel special. Its human nature to want to feel better about yourself;those who do want to keep it that way and those who dont hate those who do trying to stay where they are.

If you want to feel equal to somebody then you just want to not feel less-special. Its the same behavior.

10+ Year Old Account
    I want to play a game made and designed by Blizzard, not by the playerbase. This is the reason I do not like what Valve is doing. It is not the place of the community to implement content, that should be reserved for the developer and the developer alone.

Deleted
    No. No cash shop please.

But I'm all for it if it's through in-game content. We're alredy paying monthly sub, we shouldn't have to pay even more for the content -__-

Deleted
    Most of Steam Workshop is used for DOTA2 and TF2 games, both F2P.