10+ Year Old Account

Making Money on the AH

Recently I have become somewhat casual/bored due to the end of MoP before WoD. I have always done OK financially in WoW but have never been truly rich. I decided today that I want to begin to play the AH so that by the time WoD rolls around I will be rich. I do not have much experience with AH flipping. Anyone have some tips on flipping strategies or items I should target to flip? Thanks!

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Really depends on the realm, but do you REALLY need to become rich? I make ~10k a day just doing my farm on all my alts, the only reason I do this is I want challange mode runs on my 90's I don't do it to become rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Aus Nate View Post
    Really depends on the realm, but do you REALLY need to become rich? I make ~10k a day just doing my farm on all my alts, the only reason I do this is I want challange mode runs on my 90's I don't do it to become rich.
    How? With 11 toons, that's a little over 900g from each of your farms, or about 75g per tilled soil (x12). How are you earning 75g per each plot of soil harvested?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have a total of 10 90's (had 11), all I basicly do is all the half hill quests (10min max per character) plus include the 16 plots, which I plant with Ore/herb/motes.

By the time I've done all that I send herbs/ores to my characters that use them, Golden lotus go straight to AH (usually 38g per 1 now days), Herb goto either my scribe or to AH depending if I bother to make glyphs/shoulder chants. Trillium goes to my Alch's (3 of them all transmutes)(side note only cost me 2k gold to powerlevel my 3rd alch other day) I make living steel which will either goto my BS to make belts, or it will goto my ENGI for golem's. Ghost iron ore, I split between making the mats for golem per day and between prospecting and putting up raw ore on AH.

Last month I made over 300k profit, I then spend it, and remake, its the same routine, every month it either gets more gold or I loose some, depending on what I do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spectrefax View Post
    How? With 11 toons, that's a little over 900g from each of your farms, or about 75g per tilled soil (x12). How are you earning 75g per each plot of soil harvested?
    seems a bit dodgy, on my server one Golden lotus is about 75g, and i get about 2~6 golden Loti per farm, and the herbs are worth much less, but sometimes i can mill the herbs to create glyphs that currently overpriced on the AH, but glyphs don't move very well on the AH at all, so it's a risk.

to the OP, i am not really rich either, but using an Auction House and Mailbox addon is essential!

- - - Updated - - -

temporal arbitrage is the only REAL way to make insane gold, but it requires a lot of starting capital, storage space and market analytics.

When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

10+ Year Old Account
    arbitrarily deciding to go into a market this late, more often than not is not going to end well.

you will be stepping on the toes of others who have already been manipulating that market and they wont take kindly to you cutting off their own income, and will most likely short themselves just to teach you a lesson and get you out of the way.

i'd suggest finding a niche that is underfarmed, and put the same amount of time you would into scanning/flipping into creating a new resource to put into the economy rather than just adding to inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by Aus Nate View Post
    I have a total of 10 90's (had 11), all I basicly do is all the half hill quests (10min max per character) plus include the 16 plots, which I plant with Ore/herb/motes.

By the time I've done all that I send herbs/ores to my characters that use them, Golden lotus go straight to AH (usually 38g per 1 now days), Herb goto either my scribe or to AH depending if I bother to make glyphs/shoulder chants. Trillium goes to my Alch's (3 of them all transmutes)(side note only cost me 2k gold to powerlevel my 3rd alch other day) I make living steel which will either goto my BS to make belts, or it will goto my ENGI for golem's. Ghost iron ore, I split between making the mats for golem per day and between prospecting and putting up raw ore on AH.

Last month I made over 300k profit, I then spend it, and remake, its the same routine, every month it either gets more gold or I loose some, depending on what I do.
    Ok, that makes much more sense. I can definitely see it if you're farming mats and using them in conjunction with multiple toons with professions leveled specifically for that purpose (like having 3 maxed alchemists).

Your OP didn't mention anything like that and was therefore very misleading, as if you made 10k/day just from farming and selling harvested materials alone.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spectrefax View Post
    Your OP didn't mention anything like that and was therefore very misleading, as if you made 10k/day just from farming and selling harvested materials alone.
    Currently the ore on my realm is about 50g per stack of GHO, trillium ore is 10g per 1 each colour, and Golden lotus is 39g per, other herbs are 1g each avg, so even then the gold from that is fairly decent.

Warbringer cycles for bags seems a good/fun way to make decent cash with the chance for several new mounts. Especially if your server isn't that populated. If you're on Stormrage or Illidan however....perhaps not the best idea.