Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Bit bus speed of GFX

So I've been out of the running when it comes to hardware for a couple of years and thought it was a good idea to upgrade my PC on my GFX, as I still had an AGP card. The newest cards are as far as I've seen the PCI-E v2.0 x16.

Now, I'm not looking for any fancy high-end budget card, I have been orientating myself well enough, but I was wondering about three things.

1: The specs nowadays are listening 64-bit, 128-bit and 256-bit. I assume this is the bit speed of the memory bus, but how much is it impacting in the overall performance?
    2: Is there a noticeable difference between 1GB and 2GB ram and is there a noticeable difference between DDR3 and GDDR5?
    3: I found this card with these specs, it's the OC version and I was wondering if it was any good. Reviews say it is, but I was wondering if somebody here has/had this card and can share it's opinion.

Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD7770 1GB PCI-E

GPU: 1050MHz, Memória: 1GB GDDR5/128bit 4500MHz, Stream: 640, DVI-HDMI-miniDP

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Schadow; 2014-01-09 at 10:12 PM. Reason: changed the format a lil bit to indicate I had an AGP card.
    Much love to Indicate for creating. Eis' work

Do you even have a PCI-E slot? What motherboard are you using since it has an AGP slot?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I said that completely wrong. When I went to upgrade my PC, I still had an AGP card and saw it doesn't fit in it anymore. It's why I received a temporary card from someone, but I have to give it back at some point.

The motherboard it currently has is the MSI MS-7756.

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/H77MA-G43.html

10+ Year Old Account
    What nocturnal said is relevant, however every card is different in performance. Different cards have different bus, VRAM, core clocks, etc. A better question is "What is the best card I can get for X dollars", indicating: What is your budget?

That said, if you don't have a PCI-E slot, all of it is kind of moot.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    My budget is a bit lower, but that is as the prices here are lower than from example America. I can't really state, but say about 200-250 dollars max. *wet finger work*

At that price range, depending on how expensive your country is, either a 660 or a 760.
    But yeah, those are numbers for membust width, as in how many bits can cross it at once. And yeah, DDR3 is about half as fast as GDDR5 since GDDR5 works in both input and output during the same clock cycle.
    Last edited by Fluorescent0; 2014-01-09 at 10:22 PM.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

What are the rest of your components? Especially the power supply unit and size of your PC case.
    Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.7GHz | MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G x2 in SLI | ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 Motherboard
    8 GB of Kingston HyperX DDR3 | Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB
    2x Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB + Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSDs (three-way raid 0)
    Cooler Master HAF 912 plus case | Corsair AX1200 power supply | Thermaltake NiC C5 Untouchable CPU cooler
    Asus PG278Q ROG SWIFT (1440p @ 144 Hz, GSync + 3D vision)

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    The GT660 would range me just above 300 dollars, that's a bit too expensive for me, considering I also need to buy a new monitor (double VGA monitors and I got a DVI to VGA converter, but with one DVI slot, I still need to replace a monitor).

Basically:

Processor: Intel i5-3470 @ 3.20 GHz
    Memory: 16 GB Kingston Beast Kit
    6 case fans, two operating during winter, 5-6 operating during summer due to very warm summers
    1 SSD Sata-II disk Samsung Pro Basic 128GB
    1 HDD Western Digital Cavier 1 TB Sata
    1 HDD Excelsior 250 GB Pata disk (with Pata to Sata converter in between)
    Standard CPU cooler
    1 TV card operating on PCI-E x4
    600W Zalman Power Supply
    Bigger ATX case, I am not sure what, but the motherboard is an uATX and the case is for ATX, it's a Coolermaster, older model.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you have a 650ti Boost (not "650" or "650ti", specifically the Boost model) available?
    Are you buying from a local shop, or online? Do they have a website?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I usually buy from 2 shops I know that they don't try to play games. They both have shops and website.

This is the one where I usually snoop around. It does not have the 650Ti Boost.

http://www.qwerty.hu/shop/category/14/vga-kartyak.html

This is the other one, where I usually buy from, I was also unable to find a 650 Ti Boost from there:

http://www.aqua.hu/termekek/videokartya-188.html

Edit: for the record, both websites don't have English option.

The second one is listing the 660 for 50000 fiorints whih is below your 250 dollar budget (55000 fiorints).
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schadow View Post
    The GT660 would range me just above 300 dollars, that's a bit too expensive for me, considering I also need to buy a new monitor (double VGA monitors and I got a DVI to VGA converter, but with one DVI slot, I still need to replace a monitor).

Basically:

Processor: Intel i5-3470 @ 3.20 GHz
    Memory: 16 GB Kingston Beast Kit
    6 case fans, two operating during winter, 5-6 operating during summer due to very warm summers
    1 SSD Sata-II disk Samsung Pro Basic 128GB
    1 HDD Western Digital Cavier 1 TB Sata
    1 HDD Excelsior 250 GB Pata disk (with Pata to Sata converter in between)
    Standard CPU cooler
    1 TV card operating on PCI-E x4
    600W Zalman Power Supply
    Bigger ATX case, I am not sure what, but the motherboard is an uATX and the case is for ATX, it's a Coolermaster, older model.
    Why not simply run the 2nd monitor on the integrated graphics for now and replace it later when money allows?
    The msi board you linked earlier appears to have a native vga port.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    @lockblock: the VGA adapter runs on Intel, meaning that I would have to run two different kinds of drivers. Guaranteed for an unstable system.

@Fluorescent0 and @n0cturnal: thanks a lot! I have looked around for those two cards and read some thing and I'll go with n0cturnal's suggestion with the Gigabyte card! Thanks again!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schadow View Post
    @lockblock: the VGA adapter runs on Intel, meaning that I would have to run two different kinds of drivers. Guaranteed for an unstable system.
    Maybe you should try it before jumping to conclusions.