Poll: Of the existing classes, which do you think should have a 4th spec for tanking?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    BRING BACK FROST DK DUAL-WIELD TANKING.

Or warlocks, since they have the general structure in place already.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtree View Post
    BRING BACK FROST DK DUAL-WIELD TANKING.

Or warlocks, since they have the general structure in place already.
    Too funny. I was just looking for this thread to add that my ideal Shaman tanking tree would be functionally/rotationally similar to Frost DK tanking. That was my favorite tanking spec of all time before it was taken away. Then I see your post. Too funny.

Also, D&D and Consecration are tanking AoE staples. You know what other spell currently functions just like these spells that is going virtually unused? EARTHQUAKE! Another perfect earth-based tanking spell for shaman. I can ramble on about this endlessly.
    Last edited by Futhark; 2014-01-13 at 01:12 AM.

Shaman is a big no, shamans already have enough as it is, a ranged and melee dps spec and a heal spec.

Giving them a tanking spec would not only be greedy but downright deny other classes the chance.

To be honest, give warlock demonology spec a rehash to be a tanking spec (metamorphosis practically is, anyway).

Shamans don't "need" a tanking spec, nor would it make any sense to have one.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    Shaman is a big no, shamans already have enough as it is, a ranged and melee dps spec and a heal spec.

Giving them a tanking spec would not only be greedy but downright deny other classes the chance.

To be honest, give warlock demonology spec a rehash to be a tanking spec (metamorphosis practically is, anyway).

Shamans don't "need" a tanking spec, nor would it make any sense to have one.
    It makes sense. The earth element doesn't really feature at all, aside from a few spells class wide, whereas each spec has an elemental affinity it's associated with.

Also, Druids have ranged, healing, melee, and tanking specs. How does it deny other classes the same ability?

Quote Originally Posted by SwizzleTweets View Post
    It's okay to hear your opinion.

But then this thread doesn't seem to be for you.
    Because the question is not whether there should be a fourth spec.
    The question is, if there was to be a fourth spec for tanking, for an existing class.. which class should that be.
    You offered N/A, which I chose, because I also say "none".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SwizzleTweets View Post
    It's okay to hear your opinion.

But then this thread doesn't seem to be for you.
    Because the question is not whether there should be a fourth spec.
    The question is, if there was to be a fourth spec for tanking, for an existing class.. which class should that be.
    None was an option, so I picked it and explained why. Think there was a recent tweet too along the lines of 'it's easy to turn a tank spec into DPS, much harder a DPS into tanking'. Maybe with the Wrath model of tanks being threat holding meat shields I'd be less pessimistic, but with active mitigation, Masteries and more strongly defined specs in general I think it would involve far more effort than it'd be worth.

Deleted
    I don't think any class should have a 4th spec... including druids. I have a feral druid btw. I liked the days when as a feral you could effectively choose dps vs tank by talents, rather than having an entirely different spec.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    Sorry but Rogues already have a spec essentially called "Swashbuckler." It's Combat. You know, the class that carries two short swords and is good at fighting crowds with fast strikes and dirty tricks. In fact, if Rogues ever had a tanking glyph similar to Glyph of Demon Hunting it would be most useful for Combat as they're the least reliant on stealth and the most AOE-centric.
    Still won't be fun. Of course it can be done; any class can have a tanking spec added with some work. That doesn't mean they should. Rogue and Warlock have the same issues: They are both essentially selfish classes. Their selfish natures are a main part of their theme. Just like they shouldn't have healers, they also shouldn't have tanks; a servile role just doesn't become their themes.

I would completely switch to my shaman if there was a 4th tanking spec, I love tanking with my pally and monk, and I love healing and dps with my shaman, so a tanking spec would be perfect, I can even make a new shaman to play all specs !

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Still won't be fun. Of course it can be done; any class can have a tanking spec added with some work. That doesn't mean they should. Rogue and Warlock have the same issues: They are both essentially selfish classes. Their selfish natures are a main part of their theme. Just like they shouldn't have healers, they also shouldn't have tanks; a servile role just doesn't become their themes.
    That presupposes that tanking is an inherently selfless activity. However, this is not necessarily the case. Off the top of my head, a tank could take on the role just because he loves personal combat, or because the success of the group directly translates to personal success, making the other party members essentially pawns to him. It could be a mercenary-type motivation.

The tanking role isn't just a position of servitude. It's also a position of power, both literal in terms of what gets pulled when, and metaphorical in terms of the implications that the tank alone among the party members is the one physically powerful enough to survive incoming damage. This is why Death Knights work as tanks thematically, and it's why rogues and warlocks would too.

Quote Originally Posted by Drilnos View Post
    That presupposes that tanking is an inherently selfless activity. However, this is not necessarily the case. Off the top of my head, a tank could take on the role just because he loves personal combat, or because the success of the group directly translates to personal success, making the other party members essentially pawns to him. It could be a mercenary-type motivation.

The tanking role isn't just a position of servitude. It's also a position of power, both literal in terms of what gets pulled when, and metaphorical in terms of the implications that the tank alone among the party members is the one physically powerful enough to survive incoming damage. This is why Death Knights work as tanks thematically, and it's why rogues and warlocks would too.
    I see Death Knight tanks work because they were pretty much programmed to by the Lich King. That, coupled with the Death Knight's physical need to inflict pain to sustain themselves, which forces them into combat, and a desire to redeem themselves... It makes them great flaggelants, zealots and defenders.

Tanking is, first and foremost, taking the damage instead of letting other people take it. Taking damage hurts a lot. So I see a tank as someone who values the lives of other people more than their own life. And sure, with that servile position also comes some power. But again, it hurts. It's an act of self-sacrifice. That's why I can't see a Rogue or Warlock wanting to take that role.

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Tanking is, first and foremost, taking the damage instead of letting other people take it. Taking damage hurts a lot. So I see a tank as someone who values the lives of other people more than their own life. And sure, with that servile position also comes some power. But again, it hurts. It's an act of self-sacrifice. That's why I can't see a Rogue or Warlock wanting to take that role.
    Play a Warlock deck in Hearthstone, and you'll see Blizzard disagrees with you. In fact, their class special ability specifically inflicts pain on themselves (-2 HP) just to draw another card.

Quote Originally Posted by Futhark View Post
    Play a Warlock deck in Hearthstone, and you'll see Blizzard disagrees with you. In fact, their class special ability specifically inflicts pain on themselves (-2 HP) just to draw another card.
    Yeah. That's quite different, however.

The warlock overreaches in order to gain direct power, and risks her own safety for personal gain.

A warlock would be much more likely to injure herself in order to empower a mind-control spell to let someone else be beaten up than to step forward herself.

This is a pretty great post summarizing the potential that already exists within current shaman abilities.

http://www.wowhead.com/forums&topic=...-panda-edition

Just need a tree, crit reduction, and a mastery!