Question Creating a home media server...but how?

Okay, first off I know there are topics about it on Google. But I've some questions and I thought it wouldn't hurt, if I ask them here

So, what I want to do is simple: I have a desktop computer, a laptop and an iPod.
    I want to have my desktop computer to be able to stream my media files to my other devices. I Don't Want To Build Server (Hardware)!
    My desktop computer runs on Windows 8 (not 8.1), updated to latest patch.
    12 GB of RAM.
    Enough HDD space.
    8-core AMD CPU (Can't look it up atm).

And here are my questions:
    1) What Software?
    2) Do I have bandwidth requirements? (Wlan-wise)
    3) Do I need any "special" codecs?

I'll extend the list with ongoing advice

I appreciate your time to read through this.

greetz

Deleted
    I'd like to know too, i have my own server, but i don't know how to get movies or series to stream on my smartphone, i don't want to use computer, but i don't want to copy whole damn file over wifi to phone, and i'm sure streaming would be enough to play it without any problem.

Serviio is a great program for setting up a home media server that is able to stream to multiple devices.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by stevietv View Post
    Serviio is a great program for setting up a home media server that is able to stream to multiple devices.
    Ugh, java, i suddenly fear 99.999% CPU usage for no good reason.

It depends on many factors, mainly on the media you want to stream.

1080p Blue Ray Rips over Wlan is not really enjoyable.
    Likewise depending on the media and software you may or may not need some codecs.
    Do you need transcoding?

I currently run Plex:
    https://plex.tv/downloads

I can only recommend it if you dont want to build a seperate home server.

Quote Originally Posted by Faldric View Post
    It depends on many factors, mainly on the media you want to stream.

1080p Blue Ray Rips over Wlan is not really enjoyable.
    Likewise depending on the media and software you may or may not need some codecs.
    Do you need transcoding?

I currently run Plex:
    https://plex.tv/downloads

I can only recommend it if you dont want to build a seperate home server.
    This is exactly what I was searching for!
    Simple and working. Nothing more I could have asked for.

Thanks!

I use J River media center.

Truthfully you don't need to worry about bandwidth req's. If you are having issues playing something on any connection over 10mbps the problem isn't going to be your network speed. Even the highest quality video doesn't touch what a home network should be able to handle. Remember, we're not talking about your external internet connection here.

I've never needed any special codecs, but I convert all of my video files over to .mkv files with Handbrake just for the simple fact that my samsung TV won't play anything else. The device requirements are about all you will have to worry about when it comes to format, but you aren't going to run in to anything crazy.

Also be prepared to maybe end up needing more space then you initially expect, especially with much video involved. I originally thought I was going to be OK with a couple 1TB hard drives. Now I have over 5 TB of converted video and had to stop saving my actual disc images otherwise I would be up to around 20TB total.

I use AppGeeker, and have been for several years...

I use it to convert any video to something that will play on my phone, and an old iPad 2.

It also allows you to download movie files from online with built in plugin.