Can I use my Frost gear for tanking in CMs?

Hi all, apologies in advance if there's a dedicated thread for this I need to be posting in.

My Frost DPS gear as a DW Frost already has a lot of Mastery, and I'm just wondering if it's feasible at all for me to use this gear + my normal Blood 2 hander to run CMs. My group is going to be attempting CMs for the first time next week and I want to be as prepared as possible short of gathering gear for a new set.

I am currently logged out in my Frost gear so you can check it here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...aralack/simple
    Last edited by Taralack; 2014-01-10 at 05:11 PM. Reason: forgot link

Easily. Tanked CMS back in t14 with buffed 5-7k mastery, full haste setup.

Cms isn't only about having as much mastery as possible, but about predicting dmg, use stuns efficiently, use def cds efficently and communication with your healer to not waste resources of the healer or yourself.
    Having more mastery grants you more room for mispredictions or more safety from sudden bursts.

So especially with more mastery it'll be fine. Just keep sure to have expertise softcap and hitcap to not run in danger to basically kill yourself with missing a DS resulting in SoB not being used for it.
    Rest is a dps matter.

You might want to look into different trinkets. some of the older ones are really good if you held on to them. The two you have are pretty terrible in general and can't imagine them being any better when scaled down for cms

this thread has lots of good info http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...nge-Mode-Guide

@Raikh - I have successfully solo tanked normal Thok until fire phase, so I'm pretty confident in being able to use CDs effectively. The group I'm running with also is great with communication so I have complete faith in them. Question, do Proving Grounds scale the same way as CMs? I can use PGs to test and see if my stats are alright.

@Bals - Those are trinkets for my DPS spec, obviously. :P For my tanking spec I use the LFR version of Vial of Living Corruption, and Normal mode Rook's Unlucky Talisman. What would you recommend for CM trinkets?
    Last edited by Taralack; 2014-01-10 at 06:25 PM.

Those trinkets aren't even that great for DPS. A lot of people recommend using DPS trinkets but it depends on your group. Why I was asking if you kept any older trinkets. There's this thread too http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...enge-mode-help!

Quote Originally Posted by Taralack View Post
    @Raikh - I have successfully solo tanked normal Thok until fire phase, so I'm pretty confident in being able to use CDs effectively. The group I'm running with also is great with communication so I have complete faith in them. Question, do Proving Grounds scale the same way as CMs? I can use PGs to test and see if my stats are alright.

@Bals - Those are trinkets for my DPS spec, obviously. :P For my tanking spec I use the LFR version of Vial of Living Corruption, and Normal mode Rook's Unlucky Talisman. What would you recommend for CM trinkets?
    You'll be fine then, the damage really isn't that big of a problem as long as you have a stun or cooldown rotation. There's only very few packs that are genuinly tricky depending on how (many) you pull.
    I probably wouldn't use the vial since its cooldown reduction scales quite poorly at 463 (8% reduction). I'm not opposed to using a stamina trinket to keep your health up though, something like the valor point one (mastery on use) chains nicely with your other cooldowns.

Eh, it's the best I can get considering it's my offspec. I recently got an LFR EEoG though, should I use that even though it's lower ilvl than the other two? (for DPS that is)

And sadly I have not kept any old ones, even if I did they would all only be LFR level though I suppose that doesn't matter. I can easily get another Xuen trinket, but what would you recommend for the second one? The other thread mentioned Lei-Shen's Final Orders, I know Ji-Kun's Feather was BiS for DPS for a while, how does that fare?

Quote Originally Posted by Taralack View Post
    Eh, it's the best I can get considering it's my offspec. I recently got an LFR EEoG though, should I use that even though it's lower ilvl than the other two? (for DPS that is)

And sadly I have not kept any old ones, even if I did they would all only be LFR level though I suppose that doesn't matter. I can easily get another Xuen trinket, but what would you recommend for the second one? The other thread mentioned Lei-Shen's Final Orders, I know Ji-Kun's Feather was BiS for DPS for a while, how does that fare?
    Evil Eye of Galakras won't reduce any cooldowns when you're in blood spec, the strength proc alone won't make it worth using.
    The ilvl wouldn't matter at all, LFR or heroic warforged will be the same in challenge modes.

I find that the best trinket by far for challenge mode tanking is the engineering one with cogwheels - It gives 1800 desired stats at all times. I would go with Parry/dodge/crit if you are going parry, which you should (Just reforge for parry).

10+ Year Old Account
    In short, yes you can just swap to blood in your frost gear.
    You should use Feather + Shadopan trinket I suggest. (Feather got awesome uptime and hit! Shadopan got ok uptime and awesome exp)
    Parry dodge/mastery isn't really needed because the mobs that hurt isn't the melee ones at most points but the caster ones! ;( But defensive stats will help if you are new.
    However if the dps is too low try going Mastery/Haste or crit

still best to get double stam trinket + mastery gear, in the end being able to pull more mobs at a time gives you faster runs than the tank doing slightly more dmg

its easily doable if youre only after golds but not ideal for something like server firsts