Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Workers riot at Samsung factory

So apparently Samsung has decided to move assembly operations out of China. Workers were getting too expensive.

So instead they move to Vietnam where the authoritarian communist (Seriously?) government generally keeps workplace outbursts to a minimum.

It seems they reached their limit though.

Workers in Vietnam went on a 4 hour riot protesting the violent beating of a worker who arrived late.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well that sucks, I guess don't be late to work.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Good thing i stopped buying anything from Samsung in the 90's

I'm okay with this. Samsung makes good products. Keep up the good work boys!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    So apparently Samsung has decided to move assembly operations out of China. Workers were getting too expensive.

So instead they move to Vietnam where the authoritarian communist (Seriously?) government generally keeps workplace outbursts to a minimum.

Workers in Vietnam went on a 4 hour riot protesting the violent beating of a worker who arrived late.
    So workers were too expensive in China? Why do I find this so hillarious? Also, a beating just for showing up late? Are these people living in the stone age? What is up with people over there. I really hope Samsung is ready for lawsuits or possible future legal issues. My phone is a Samsung ._.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    So workers were too expensive in China? Why do I find this so hillarious? Also, a beating just for showing up late? Are these people living in the stone age? What is up with people over there. I really hope Samsung is ready for lawsuits or possible future legal issues. My phone is a Samsung ._.
    It's not just Samsung. And really. Intentionally or not, we made this when we switched to the cheaper brand and never bothered asking why it was so much cheaper.

And then we sit on our moral high horse and preach labour standards to the people making our 5 dollar t-shirts and what not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    It's not just Samsung. And really. Intentionally or not, we made this when we switched to the cheaper brand and never bothered asking why it was so much cheaper.

And then we sit on our moral high horse and preach labour standards to the people making our 5 dollar t-shirts and what not.
    Well, I'm certainly not for these immoral acts that is happening over there. Yeah we preach better standards about stores that aren't related but I think I can say I'm consistent that both Samsung and say Walmart etc etc should treat it's workers much better.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post

You'll notice he probably won't be late again.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

just shows the true nature of capitalism. combined with an authoritarian, anti-worker government you have the lowering of human value.

10+ Year Old Account
    What happens when companies run out of "cheaper places to shunt labor off to," I wonder...
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Samsung phones suck. Samsung TV's suck, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    What happens when companies run out of "cheaper places to shunt labor off to," I wonder...
    There will always be 'cheaper' labor as long as there is labor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do I suddenly sense North Korea is going to start a bidding war over industrial contracts...

The Galaxy S series of phones and Samsung TVs are the best I've ever owned hands down. Beat away, Vietnam Police, beat away.

Is it actually a Samsung factory or just a contractor? (Like Foxconn is to Apple)

Quote Originally Posted by Rolow View Post
    The Galaxy S series of phones and Samsung TVs are the best I've ever owned hands down. Beat away, Vietnam Police, beat away.
    The pathetic thing about our wretchedly self-entitled society is that the line between reality and satire has become rather blurry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    just shows the true nature of capitalism. combined with an authoritarian, anti-worker government you have the lowering of human value.
    Humans are worth a great deal on the black market, what are you talking about????

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karaoke View Post
    There will always be 'cheaper' labor as long as there is labor.
    Globalized businesses rely on their ability to flit around production on a whim to keep costs low.

Seeing as a large number of raw materials are produced in countries (like the US, for example,) shipped elsewhere, compiled and/or made into things, and then shipped back for selling, eventually the price to keep dodging things around will become prohibitive as the peoples of "third world" countries begin to demand better working conditions. Can't come soon enough, frankly.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Globalized businesses rely on their ability to flit around production on a whim to keep costs low.

Seeing as a large number of raw materials are produced in countries (like the US, for example,) shipped elsewhere, compiled and/or made into things, and then shipped back for selling, eventually the price to keep dodging things around will become prohibitive as the peoples of "third world" countries begin to demand better working conditions. Can't come soon enough, frankly.
    Yeah. This artificial scarcity crap also needs to come to an end.

There's enough food, water and shelter on this planet for everybody, without having to beat workers who are late.

How can we call ourselves an enlightened society when we can't figure out a better motivation for people to contribute than the fear of death.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post

yeah cause its up to the average citizen who works all day and takes care of a family to track the activities and production process of gigantic corporations in foreign countries?