1. #1
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    223

    SV multi-shot and serpent sting

    Been BM ever since I rerolled into hunter, now after all content is cleared was thinking now i can afford to rng survival gives me.

    Every once in while when I played survival I had only one question about it's priority, and it was about serpent sting and multi-shot in aoe. Let's take protectors opener. Three targets, using multi-shot over arcane shot is preferred dps gain. But what about after opener and your both trinkets wear of. Do you keep using multi-shot everytime you have focus for it OR do you let those serpent sting dots with extra 30k agility in them wear almost of before refreshing them with multi-shot? Does anyone have any specific numbers for these ones?

  2. #2
    Grunt The Grid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    14
    My guild assigned me to trimming down bosses. So can't really say it for sure.
    I only use multi-shot when all 3 bosses are close (so you can hit them all with 1 multi shot) to keep up serpent sting.
    Besides that I only use Arcane shot.

    Cant confirm whats best with logs tho.
    But I do believe its only a dps gain if all 3 of them would get hit by it.

  3. #3
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    223
    Read the question again, but this time think it while you read it. I'm not asking whether I should use arcane shot or multi-shot in that kind of scenario. I'm asking when does the initial damage of multi-shot and improved serpent sting out damage buffed serpent sting that I let roll on targets.

  4. #4
    Just to be perverse, I am also not going to answer your question, but am instead going to talk about a related thing. If you are using TotH, use multishot with ToTH procc'd to reapply stings rather than just applying an individual sting for better dpf.

    As for your actual question, pretty sure there is no snapshotting of agi values on application for serpent sting, but instead as with most dots these days, it is dynamically updated, thus it is better to reapply before it falls off (assuming I am correct).
    Last edited by Namor of Muradin; 2014-01-23 at 08:54 PM.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by soviett View Post
    Been BM ever since I rerolled into hunter, now after all content is cleared was thinking now i can afford to rng survival gives me.

    Every once in while when I played survival I had only one question about it's priority, and it was about serpent sting and multi-shot in aoe. Let's take protectors opener. Three targets, using multi-shot over arcane shot is preferred dps gain. But what about after opener and your both trinkets wear of. Do you keep using multi-shot everytime you have focus for it OR do you let those serpent sting dots with extra 30k agility in them wear almost of before refreshing them with multi-shot? Does anyone have any specific numbers for these ones?
    if u can micro manage that on all 3 targets its good. as u mentioned with 30k extra agility they would tick hard. so assuming u r ok with tracking all three or more targets, u would be letting the initial SS tick to almost full length. mean time u wil be busy spamming ur primary target with ES streak. hell if ur lucky even ur primary target's SS can fall off while ur spamming ES. so, i guess in the end, u may not need to be worried about that initial SS that much.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Namor of Muradin View Post
    I am also not going to answer your questions, but am going to talk about a related thing. If you are using TotH, using multishot with ToTH procc'd to reapply stings rather than just applying an individual sting

    As for your question, pretty sure there is no snapshotting of agi values on application for serpent sting, but instead as with most dots these days, it is dynamically updated.
    SS is snapshotted. it only updates when u reapply it, via SS casting or cobra shot.

  6. #6
    So, not correct, never mind. Guess it was BA I was thinking about..

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Namor of Muradin View Post
    So, not correct, never mind. Guess it was BA I was thinking about..
    BA also snapshots, Crows is dynamic.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Inval1d View Post
    BA also snapshots, Crows is dynamic.
    I always tell my students the fastest path to learning is being wrong. Case in point. Good to know.

  9. #9
    While I have been trying out diffrent strats on this boss so many times.. I have felt that going for the Serpent Multi spread when you have the 3 bosses close is best but only to spread it not to focus dump. Still seem more effective to dump on AS and then continue going with ES spam and Glaive.

    If you use to have them all stacked up, (My guild usually just round them up and aoe everything like a trashpack during all the "phases" aswell) I feel with the Multistrike trinket you gain more from just going singeltarget with the every "10 sec" dot refresh. I usually end up about 475k dps + with this both in 10 and 25 man.

  10. #10
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    223
    You would all make good politicians, none has actually been able to answer the question but all just had to say something to think they are good.

    Resolved an issue, if there are four enemies all stacked and I have just fired multi-shot with both trinkets up, it's dps gain to use multi-shot again only if I'm going to use it atleast three times during those 15 seconds that serpent sting ticks. Thank you.

  11. #11
    Remember, SrS snapshots when it lands, not when you fire the shot.
    BA / ES snapshots when you fire it.
    Crow is dynamic.

    GT also "snapshots" when it lands.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by soviett View Post
    You would all make good politicians, none has actually been able to answer the question but all just had to say something to think they are good.

    Resolved an issue, if there are four enemies all stacked and I have just fired multi-shot with both trinkets up, it's dps gain to use multi-shot again only if I'm going to use it atleast three times during those 15 seconds that serpent sting ticks. Thank you.
    You, sir, are arrogant and have not read the answers very carefully. I was wrong on what I said, but out of trying to be helpful to you, not to show off.

    The answer is clearly implied above, and you are either too lazy or not as smart and clever as you are trying to be with your snide insult to responses of people trying to help you.

    And just to show I am not bitter, let me help you by extracting the answer. No, no one has specific numbers. Experience and conceptual analysis suggests that MS damage is less effective than other uses of focus and GCD's on this fight (3 targets stacked), especially with multistrike trinket, and given that those initial SS's were snapshotted with higher agi, it is probably better to just refresh at the end and not focus dump with MS.
    Last edited by Namor of Muradin; 2014-01-24 at 04:47 PM.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Namor of Muradin View Post
    You, sir, are arrogant and have not read the answers very carefully. I was wrong on what I said, but out of trying to be helpful to you, not to show off.

    The answer is clearly implied above, and you are either too lazy or not as smart and clever as you are trying to be with your snide insult to responses of people trying to help you.

    And just to show I am not bitter, let me help you by extracting the answer. No, no one has specific numbers. Experience and conceptual analysis suggests that MS damage is less effective than other uses of focus and GCD's on this fight (3 targets stacked), especially with multistrike trinket, and given that those initial SS's were snapshotted with higher agi, it is probably better to just refresh at the end and not focus dump with MS.
    You guys are all good ppl from my PoV. To me the real question is, why would someone even answer this guy's question since his parent(s) clearly didn't teach him how to ask nicely.

  14. #14
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by soviett View Post
    Been BM ever since I rerolled into hunter, now after all content is cleared was thinking now i can afford to rng survival gives me.

    Every once in while when I played survival I had only one question about it's priority, and it was about serpent sting and multi-shot in aoe. Let's take protectors opener. Three targets, using multi-shot over arcane shot is preferred dps gain. But what about after opener and your both trinkets wear of. Do you keep using multi-shot everytime you have focus for it OR do you let those serpent sting dots with extra 30k agility in them wear almost of before refreshing them with multi-shot? Does anyone have any specific numbers for these ones?
    Yes you would Spam MS for max. dps gain when you have all 3 protectors together. Personally I tend to use free ES' when ToTH has not proc'ed (It's rare, but it happens).

    I'll chime in with the rest of the choir. Be-f'ing-have, this isn't your school where you have to make the most noise to be heard, just be polite all the way through, and the readers/commenters will be nice to you aswell.

  15. #15
    Legendary! TJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    6,426
    Normally I use SS at a set point in time with my opener, meaning that I don't wait for any procs from trinkets before using, sometimes they proc and sometimes they don't. Does this mean that I would be better off waiting for all procs before using SS? Not a big issue with BA since you want it on asap for LNL procs, but SS won't fall off on most fights so will stay with the snapshot at the start since it refreshes with CS. Is this correct?

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Normally I use SS at a set point in time with my opener, meaning that I don't wait for any procs from trinkets before using, sometimes they proc and sometimes they don't. Does this mean that I would be better off waiting for all procs before using SS? Not a big issue with BA since you want it on asap for LNL procs, but SS won't fall off on most fights so will stay with the snapshot at the start since it refreshes with CS. Is this correct?

    The snapshot is updated every time CS hits.

  17. #17
    Legendary! TJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    6,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoofey View Post
    The snapshot is updated every time CS hits.
    I see, top notch, ta.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •