Deleted

PAL and NTSC running times

Can someone explain why the majority of NTSC movies are a few minutes longer than PAL movies?

If European movies run at 24fps and US movies at 30, does that mean that EU movies are sped up or is just the addition of frame rates?

NTSC is the video system or standard used in North America and most of South America. In NTSC, 30 frames are transmitted each second. Each frame is made up of 525 individual scan lines.

PAL is the predominant video system or standard mostly used overseas. In PAL, 25 frames are transmitted each second. Each frame is made up of 625 individual scan lines

Deleted
    Quoting the definitions from a random website isn't very helpful, even considering if you even bother to read the main question. I already know that PAL and NTSC run at different frames and refresh rates, what I want to know is if Europeans actually lose video time (frames) because of the 6 less FPS, compared to Americans (without counting censorship).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortun View Post
    Can someone explain why the majority of NTSC movies are a few minutes longer than PAL movies?

If European movies run at 24fps and US movies at 30, does that mean that EU movies are sped up or is just the addition of frame rates?
    Since it's Frame per second, no...
    It's still the same length... You just see 30 still pictures per second in NTSC, and 24 still pictures per second in PAL.
    If you convert one format into the other, the end result is still the same length for the movie.

Now if you think about it for a moment.... If the FPS would have an impact on the movie length, then it would be PAL format movies that are longer instead..
    Less pictures per second would mean more seconds needed to show all the pictures, right?
    Since a movie is nothing but still images tacked onto each other, that would be the logic conclusion then...
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Vortun View Post
    Quoting the definitions from a random website isn't very helpful, even considering if you even bother to read the main question. I already know that PAL and NTSC run at different frames and refresh rates, what I want to know is if Europeans actually lose video time (frames) because of the 6 less FPS, compared to Americans (without counting censorship).
    The answer is no.