Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Why does PvE balance matter?

    I get in PvP balance matters because when there's no balance its frustrating to play because you can be more skilled but still lose because of imbalance

    but what does it matter in PvE?

    people already pay 25 euro to change race/faction just to increase their dps by 1% from racials, why can't they just reroll to the best DPS spec too?
    its not like it matters if you shoot red bolts, purple bolts or arrows, does it?

    I'm no PvE player and I've never been, I'm just trying to understand the logic behind balancing PvE on the account of PvP balance
    Last edited by motorboatt; 2014-01-12 at 12:35 AM.

  2. #2
    wow, just wow. you can just transfer your silly argument to pvp. why don't you just reroll to whatever is best?
    worst argument ever. and i don't pve, cause i hate it, but your argument is just way to stupid to let go.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator Darsithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    34,139
    Then you should re-roll in PvP every time one class outperforms the other. No? You've answered your question.



  4. #4
    I am Murloc! Airwaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Australia! G-day Mate!... (We don't really speak like that)
    Posts
    5,727
    Yes because raid teams with just magi as dps are how blizzard want wow to be played...
    Angels and Airwaves
    Aldmeri Dominion - Imperial - Templar - Laethys - High Elf - Assassin - Frostmourne - Orc - Rogue - Sea of Sorrows - Norn - Thief
    Borderlands 2 - Mechromancer - Battlefield 4 - Engineer - Diablo 3 - Wizard

  5. #5
    Brewmaster ACES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,365
    I think PvE balance is much less important than PvP balance in terms of gameplay, but it is important to make sure one class isn't too far behind and one isn't too far ahead in terms of dps/healing.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by dar0 View Post
    wow, just wow. you can just transfer your silly argument to pvp. why don't you just reroll to whatever is best?
    worst argument ever. and i don't pve, cause i hate it, but your argument is just way to stupid to let go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Then you should re-roll in PvP every time one class outperforms the other. No? You've answered your question.
    because it completely changes playstyle, think for example Mage is all about kiting and setting up your burst and cc, while Warrior is about sticking to your target and dishing out massive dps to pressure and kill things

    while in PvE all that changes is the color of your damage skills and the order you press your buttons

  7. #7
    Moderator MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Welcome to the Metachronopolis!
    Posts
    12,035
    During Wrath and BC I would have loved to play a Frost Mage in PVE. Because they were so weak they were pretty much automatically disqualified from raiding. So for the last few years I've settled on another class. During WoD I will likely play a Frost Mage because they are now pretty well balanced for PVE end game. And that's really the only reason that matters.
    If you have anything to contribute to a thread topic, please do so. Discussing moderation or calling out specific people is against the rules and makes a post liable for an infraction. Please report problem posts. If anyone is unclear about the rules please read our FAQ. Thanks.

    It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy...let's go exploring!

  8. #8
    idk how this is even remotely hard to comprehend. PvE is just as competitive as PvP. People want to be top of the DPS meter. But not because they are the fotm, because they are skilled. Same thing with PvP, people want it balanced so that skill matters more the fotm.

  9. #9
    Picture this. Priests are the best healers, Mages are the best DPS by 25%, and Paladins are the best tanks. Suddenly every raid is purely Mages, Paladins and Priests. This is why PvP balance matters.
    WoW PvP; Where DPS are healers, tanks are DPS, and healers are tanks!

    RETH RETH RETH!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by motorboatt View Post
    people already pay 25 euro to change race/faction just to increase their dps by 1% from racials, why can't they just reroll to the best DPS spec too?
    Because most people don't and what race you are has very little to do with what buttons you're pushing and when. (Thanks to macros and such, obviously.) When we're talking about 10-15% DPS difference between a Shadow Priest and a Destruction Warlock on the same boss fight with the same gear, it's a bit out of control.
    Currently trying to experiences all classes at 100. Count so far: 3.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by motorboatt View Post
    because it completely changes playstyle, think for example Mage is all about kiting and setting up your burst and cc, while Warrior is about sticking to your target and dishing out massive dps to pressure and kill things

    while in PvE all that changes is the color of your damage skills and the order you press your buttons
    Again...the same argument can be made on the opposite side.

    Playing an enhancement shaman feels so much different than playing a rogue. All PvP can be simplified as melee V range, so why not just make one viable spec of each?
    They're = They are /\ Their = Possessive /\ There = Location
    You're = You are /\ Your = Possessive
    It's = It is /\ Its = Possessive
    I'm not a grammar Nazi; they used to police German, not English.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by motorboatt View Post
    I get in PvP balance matters because when there's no balance its frustrating to play because you can be more skilled but still lose because of imbalance

    but what does it matter in PvE?

    people already pay 25 euro to change race/faction just to increase their dps by 1% from racials, why can't they just reroll to the best DPS spec too?
    its not like it matters if you shoot red bolts, purple bolts or arrows, does it?

    I'm no PvE player and I've never been, I'm just trying to understand the logic behind balancing PvE on the account of PvP balance
    Replace every instance of PvE in your post with PvP, then as a PvP player, answer your own question. Now realise that your answer applies pretty much exactly the same way to PvP as it does to PvE. Now go bash your head on your desk a few times in pennance for even bothering to ask such a straightforwardly silly question.

  13. #13
    Herald of the Titans Lord Pebbleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pebbleton Family Castle.
    Posts
    2,989
    The fact that some people race change for a 1% more damage buff doesn't mean everyone does that.
    I want to put out good dps with my class because i'm balanced and skilled, same with PvP.

  14. #14
    If a spec or class under-performs, then that's going to upset the people who want to play that particular spec or class.

  15. #15

  16. #16
    Stood in the Fire Obtuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    378
    We want balance for the same reason you do. A level playing field. We enjoy the competition between our team mates as much as the group coordination to down a raid boss. When you fall behind and it's not due to playing poorly, you lose motivation. It's the goal of survival while maximizing damage that draws people to pve combat. You enjoy dishing out damage at the appropriate moment, waiting for that time to CC and strike. We enjoy dishing out that damage for 15 minutes straight while doing a synchronized dance. We're not that different you and I. We just want a fair competition. For every percent of a degree that balance is off; we both experience the thrill and the agony.
    Obtuse and Obedient of Stormrage US

  17. #17
    Bloodsail Admiral Stevegasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,057
    It matters because guilds will cut a person from their raid due to his player character being mathematically worse than another, even by a little. If I was still into hardcore raiding, and I was required to play a class (or even race) I didn't like because it was the FOTM, I would just quit raiding for that guild. I'm not paying to play something I don't enjoy. It's as simple as that.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by ACES View Post
    I think PvE balance is much less important than PvP balance in terms of gameplay, but it is important to make sure one class isn't too far behind and one isn't too far ahead in terms of dps/healing.
    Well said.

  19. #19
    Dreadlord ipoststuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Internet
    Posts
    889
    Balance is needed in all parts of the game. With that said i think its more important in PvP. A spec could still perform well in PvE while being behind. Winning the damage meters isnt the same thing as winning arena games. If you're playing an UP spec in PvP prepare to be frustrated and lose a lot.

  20. #20
    Super Moderator Darsithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    34,139
    Quote Originally Posted by motorboatt View Post
    because it completely changes playstyle, think for example Mage is all about kiting and setting up your burst and cc, while Warrior is about sticking to your target and dishing out massive dps to pressure and kill things

    while in PvE all that changes is the color of your damage skills and the order you press your buttons
    That's not even remotely true. In raid, certain classes & specs are better at specific tasks. Always have been. Not all classes can brez. Not all classes can hero (split group fights like Spoils make it imperative to have a hero/brez on each side). Some have pets that can perform other actions. Some classes are great at raid-wide damage cooldowns (paladins, DK's) or are better in specific healing situations.

    Don't blanket PvE as "every class is identical except order of operation".



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •