View Poll Results: Your Opinion of Scenarios.

Voters
549. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strongly Like

    72 13.11%
  • Generally Positive

    164 29.87%
  • Indifferent

    108 19.67%
  • Generally Negative

    116 21.13%
  • Strongly Dislike

    84 15.30%
  • Other (please comment)

    5 0.91%
Page 1 of 9
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    The Patient Jonticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    North Yorkshire, UK!
    Posts
    323

    Scenarios: a Poll.

    After reading a (Hypothetical) thread on the WoD sub-forum about cutting features from the next expansion, I noticed lots of replies indicating that players would cut scenarios. I've read several places that Blizzard claimed scenarios were a success so I had believed I was in the vast minority with my strong dislike for them. I feel that the lack of structure in group composition makes them feel messy and that the stories told are sometimes bland (or even ridiculous) and overshadowed by the "rush to the finish" mindset.

    Anyway, the purpose of the thread is to get a general feel for the playerbase's opinion of scenarios, as it would appear that Blizzard will prefer them over Dungeons in WoD and I'm unsure as to whether that would be a good idea or not.

    I apologise if this has been polled/discussed before (I couldn't find anything on it via search).

    N.B. By Scenarios i'm referring to the 3-man group content, not the solo ones pertaining to quest chains.
    Last edited by Jonticus; 2014-01-10 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Clarity.
    Please. Stahp.

  2. #2
    Mechagnome wholockian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    world's shittiest country
    Posts
    605
    I love scenarios and how tanks/healers are not necessary BUT are helpful when they do show up because tanks can pull more / healers allow DPSers to pull more. I'd be rather disappointed if they were removed! I love running scenarios (:

    I am an altoholic, but never got toons past 30. I am trying to refine my ways.

  3. #3
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Liverpool, Merseyside
    Posts
    4,629
    They're too short and usually bland for me.

    The mobs are designed around potentially not having a healer or tank so it's kind of under tuned.

    They're just lazy short zerg fests (although you could argue dungeons are now too) with little story, arbitrary objectives and little art design

  4. #4
    Mechagnome wholockian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    world's shittiest country
    Posts
    605
    Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    They're too short and usually bland for me.

    The mobs are designed around potentially not having a healer or tank so it's kind of under tuned.

    They're just lazy short zerg fests (although you could argue dungeons are now too) with little story, arbitrary objectives and little art design
    what do you think of heroic scenarios though? They aren't as much of a zerg fest.

    I am an altoholic, but never got toons past 30. I am trying to refine my ways.

  5. #5
    Mechagnome Kitti Pryde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    East Coast - US
    Posts
    569
    I did them once on one character and I'm still yet to do the heroics. 1-person scenarios for story-arcs like the Isle of Thunder were pretty cool, but scenarios themselves seemed lame as a whole. I don't hate them, but they weren't quite what I expected I guess, and I'm not sure what that was. I suppose something a little more epic/less linear.
    A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.-George Bernard Shaw

  6. #6
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Liverpool, Merseyside
    Posts
    4,629
    Quote Originally Posted by bandcamp16 View Post
    what do you think of heroic scenarios though? They aren't as much of a zerg fest.
    They're better but I much prefer the design of 3 DPS, 1 tank, 1 healer.

    It doesn't help that most are pretty throwaway such as battle on the high seas and most of the original ones

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by bandcamp16 View Post
    what do you think of heroic scenarios though? They aren't as much of a zerg fest.
    Yes, they are.

  8. #8
    Wow the poll results are even. I picked generally negative because they're boring as hell and offer literally zero incentive for doing them. Yes you get a piece of worthless gear sometimes, but that's about it. They're boring and require literally zero effort, even heroic scenarios don't require any type of effort. I'd actually say heroic scenarios are easier than heroic dungeons since the instance just heals you while you're in it. It's virtually impossible to die from what I've seen.

  9. #9
    Brewmaster Orikon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    1,274
    They are kind of short and most of them are just boring.No real rewards and generally leave a "meh" look.
    Alright,I can't say,a few of them are fun and generally the idea that tanks/healers/dps aren't strictly necessary isn't bad,but still nothing special.Just a sidekick feature serving as additional content to fill the gaps.

  10. #10
    Mechagnome wholockian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    world's shittiest country
    Posts
    605
    Quote Originally Posted by snackfeat View Post
    Yes, they are.
    I disagree. I usually only do heroic scenarios after I run a normal one with the group I just was placed in...so essentially a random group. And usually they take forever because the difficulty is so much higher. Normal scenarios could be soloed by a half-decent player. Heroic ones? Not so much.

    I am an altoholic, but never got toons past 30. I am trying to refine my ways.

  11. #11
    Scenarios are great, quick and fun and NO QUEUE!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonticus View Post
    After reading a thread on the WoD sub-forum about cutting features from the next expansion, I noticed lots of replies indicating that they'd cut scenarios.
    That's about 0% likely.

    In fact they'll likley be using solo story scenarios even in the levelling content.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

  12. #12
    The Patient Jonticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    North Yorkshire, UK!
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by bandcamp16 View Post
    what do you think of heroic scenarios though? They aren't as much of a zerg fest.
    Well, they are in current gear but yes, when they came out they were moderately difficult (the ones I slogged through were at least). I feel that making the same content on a different difficulty level doesn't automatically redeem said content being poor quality, and that the Heroic difficulty level didn't really change the game for me.

    Note that i have nothing against Scenarios as I understand people do like them, I just would like to get an understanding of how many and why.
    Please. Stahp.

  13. #13
    Scenarios are exactly the same as dungeons except being designed around 3 dps.

    In some ways that's actually more interesting as your survival is totally up to you and you can't just count on a healer to save your ass, and all those CC/interrupt/survival/self heal abilities you never use are suddenly relevant again.

    The current ones are fairly easy but that's just a product of gear levels and the fact they're a first cut of the concept.

    It's also a shitload easier for them to make scenarios vs. dungeons because dungeons require almost as much new art work as raids do, so scenarios are great for continuing storylines etc that they normally wouldn't have the resource budget to do.

    I really like scenarios and hope they make them even better in WoD, and use them for more things.

    Quote Originally Posted by bandcamp16 View Post
    I love scenarios and how tanks/healers are not necessary BUT are helpful when they do show up because tanks can pull more / healers allow DPSers to pull more. I'd be rather disappointed if they were removed! I love running scenarios (:
    It annoys me when I turn up to a scenario and there's two tanks there.

    I think they should put in a rolecheck however instead of requiring a minimum number of tanks and healers, it should put in a maximum of one of each. Or even, 2 dps and the final slot can be either tank heal or dps, depending on what's available in the queue.
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2014-01-10 at 01:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

  14. #14
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    575
    I put generally positive, but I'm somewhere between that and indifferent.

    I mean they're nice, quick VP (especially heroic scenarios), a chance to do "meaningful" content in a relaxed atmosphere, the lack of need for an organized comp makes getting a group/queues short and mostly effortless.

    That said, I would like to see more of a "traditional" loot table in them from final "bosses", rather than a random chance at getting randomly enchanted gear (especially with all the new secondary stats, that's a LOT of RNG).

    So yeah, they have their ups and downs, scenarios, dungeons, really both on the wavelength for me, don't really care which they favor to make.

    On a separate note though, I think SOLO scenarios, like the ones from the legendary chain/IoT are a fantastic way to add challenging solo content, and it would be nice to have a few to show up in Warlords.

  15. #15
    I guess I like them for what they are, but the rewards for them are really lackluster imo. The drop rate for useful gear from them is just way too low, especially when compared to a dungeon. As for if they'll get cut in WoD, doubtful. They are much, much cheaper to make then dungeons, so I don't see them being cut.

  16. #16
    I liked scenarios as solo content with the intent of telling the story. I don't like them as group content (they're pointless). 90% of the time, someone AFK's or everyone treats them as solo content anywhere. There is very, very rarely anything resembling anything I would call team work.

    As an alternative to dungeons, I very much dislike them (since, regardless of what Blizzard claims, they seemed to have come at the cost of more 5-man content in MoP).

  17. #17
    The Patient Jonticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    North Yorkshire, UK!
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    In fact they'll likely be using solo story scenarios even in the levelling content.
    Yes, I did mention this in the OP. If they are solo scenarios akin to the ToT and Legendary ones, then I'm not so upset about this (likely) eventuality. However, if I'm forced into scenarios to finish up lore questlines then I may have a little sad-panda pout.

    The thread I mentioned about feature cutting was a hypothetical one, asking what feature the poster would cut. I understand that Scenarios are here to stay!
    Please. Stahp.

  18. #18
    Overall I like them, with a few exceptions mostly due to shitty scripting (that goes for all game developers, don't make scripted events if you suck at it). I just wish I could solo queue for them. When I do them on my main (for quick valor mostly) I like to see how fast I can do them, usually leaving the party members in the dust. I don't have exact times but I know I can do crypts in under 4 minutes.
    How I waste my time: Biter Comics

  19. #19
    i just hate that blizzard took group quests out and replaced it with scenarios.

    i didn't need another set of mini dungeons to run, raids and dungeons were enough.

  20. #20
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    575
    Quote Originally Posted by Bawl View Post
    Overall I like them, with a few exceptions mostly due to shitty scripting (that goes for all game developers, don't make scripted events if you suck at it). I just wish I could solo queue for them. When I do them on my main (for quick valor mostly) I like to see how fast I can do them, usually leaving the party members in the dust. I don't have exact times but I know I can do crypts in under 4 minutes.
    Yeah, that's another positive I didn't even mention, but I love that no matter what toon I'm on, tank/DPS/whatever, I can set my own pace, If I'm feeling lazy or eating, or what have you, I can just tag along with the group and nobody really suffers any from it, unlike a dungeon/raid, If I'm in a hyper grinding mode, I'll basically do as you said and just tear through it, again, with no real consequence to myself or group. I mean, I can see how that would be a negative to some people, if they want "hard" content with a non-raid group, but I think harder heroic dungeons will alleviate that to some extent.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •