Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Bosses that just don't make sense

Ok - so, something that slightly bugs me is when you get a boss who's actions just don't logically make sense.

An example is the first boss in Heart of Fear.

So, Vizier Zor'lok, on the first platform casts Force and Verse - a big AOE that'll kill anyone not protected.

But, before he does that, he also casts 3 noise cancellation zones that you can stand in to avoid taking the damage.

Why would a boss, who is trying to kill you, also cast the very same thing you need to not be killed by him (other than Blizzard needed to give us a way to avoid that?). It's also a tad annoying when there were other ways that they could've done the same thing (for example - when he casts Force and Verve, it dislodges something from the roof which you then have to stand behind?)

So - just wondering, just for fun, which other bosses are there in the game where when you think about it, from the point of view that they're trying to kill us, their actions make no logical sense?

What about every single boss that just sits there and lets you kill their minions then patiently waits for you to buff up before engaging...

Deleted
    Deathwing just flying around and calling Ultraxion, instead of just torching us all atop the Dragon Tower >_>

Or that every boss is stupid enough to go for the tank instead of your healers.

The dinomancers in the Horridon encounter.. why would they willingly bring an item that we can use upon their death to control Horridon with them into the fray?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saafe View Post
    Durumu & Blood Queen make no sense to me
    Why make a maze when you could just kill us?
    Why bite us if it gives us power?

#Confused
    Well Durumu says
    "Thousands of years ... without new playthings ... I will enjoy this." and "Watch your footing...muhahaha!" so obviously the maze was just a game to him.

As for the Blood Queen she says
    "Know my hunger!" so its not like she gives you power without sideeffects(and her aura does more dmg the more vampires are around). Going Berserk is rarely a lore boss mechanic(its mostly Blizzard tuning enforced), so without biting someone(which forces further bites) Blood Queen would be pretty easy wouldn't she?

The dinomancers in the Horridon encounter.. why would they willingly bring an item that we can use upon their death to control Horridon with them into the fray?
    Well the Dinomancers also cast a heal on Horridon using that orb. The bosses health is just a side effect of encounter tuning, lorewise Horridon was being killed in that Arena and they had to help him at all costs.
    Last edited by mmoc5ef3a4fb0f; 2014-01-12 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by malletin View Post
    They need to contain Horridon too, just in case. Or other dinosaurs. In case Horridon would go and deliberately tried himself to smash the gates, they would use it to direct him against us, but because Horridon is an obedient dinosaur, he attacks us without a need to force him to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Saafe View Post
    Durumu & Blood Queen make no sense to me
    Why make a maze when you could just kill us?
    Why bite us if it gives us power?

#Confused
    Durumu himself says: "Thousands of years ... without new playthings ... I will enjoy this"
    Seriously, what could be funnier than watching dozens of LFR 'adventurers' die horribly while running around from his insta-kill beam?

And Blood Queen, she just wants to taste us. Also, it turns us under her control in a mere minute. She thinks that we will hardly be able to find a way to postpone the bloodthirst.

Edit: oh fudge, already said. Next time, don't leave tabs open for minutes...

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, when you think about it, most bosses are just standing around, doing nothing, waiting for...what exactly? If we didn't show up, do they have a rec room with cable and a fridge?

The more you think about it, the weirder it is. What is the Omnitron defense system defending, anyway? If we were expressly going to BRM to kill Nefarian, most of the side bosses are pointless, especially Magmaw, when you think about it.

Good old suspension of reality.
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

Quote Originally Posted by Hallufauz View Post
    Deathwing just flying around and calling Ultraxion, instead of just torching us all atop the Dragon Tower >_>
    He is super arrogant in his power. He wanted to show us how good he is in creating abominations like Ultraxion. He is also nuts.

why does every boss just stand at one spot 24/7 waiting to get killed.
    why doesnt madness of deathwing cast cataclysm right at the start?
    why doesnt spine dont roll 24/7
    why doesnt LK use fury of frostmourne earlier?
    why does atramedes ever get down to the ground if he could just grill us from above

Deleted
    Well, while we roflstomp Garalon, Mel'jarak and his guards are simply spectating instead of joining in on the slaughter.

Why would portals be opened during Yogg during respective phase so we can attack his brain and take down his shield.Would be a pain in the arse to kill him while he has a 99% dmg reduction shield on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Raegwyn View Post
    why does every boss just stand at one spot 24/7 waiting to get killed.
    why doesnt madness of deathwing cast cataclysm right at the start?
    why doesnt spine dont roll 24/7
    why doesnt LK use fury of frostmourne earlier?
    why does atramedes ever get down to the ground if he could just grill us from above
    1 - game mechanics. the alternative would be to have the boss moving around and make it harder for us to engage it.
    2 - maybe because he couldn't. maybe he was already trying, but breaking the world sounds like a hard thing to do.
    3 - because he'd spiral down and fall into the ocean. have you ever seen a bird fly while spinning like a top?
    4 - because the LK was testing the players. he could use it earlier, but it wouldn't be much of a test if he did that.
    5 - probably because he's blind or something.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taishar68 View Post
    Well, when you think about it, most bosses are just standing around, doing nothing, waiting for...what exactly? If we didn't show up, do they have a rec room with cable and a fridge?

The more you think about it, the weirder it is. What is the Omnitron defense system defending, anyway? If we were expressly going to BRM to kill Nefarian, most of the side bosses are pointless, especially Magmaw, when you think about it.

Good old suspension of reality.
    but you don't understand the complex intricacies of raid environments

Omnitron was clearly guarding the invisible lever needed to turn the elevator on, and Mag'maw had swallowed the wooden key that unlocked the door blocking the elevator

and warlocks/engineers can't simply blast a hole in that door, just like mages/priests can't simply slow fall people past the elevator
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiebob
    I'm still waiting on someone to tell me where all these people that suddenly care about Warrior balance were during Cataclysm when they were blow up dolls with plate armor on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhelyo View Post
    Why would portals be opened during Yogg during respective phase so we can attack his brain and take down his shield.Would be a pain in the arse to kill him while he has a 99% dmg reduction shield on him.
    I think the meaning of that is a bit different from what the game induces you to think. yogg-saron is showing you a vision of how he manipulated so many chains of events from the shadows, in order to make you give into dispair. when you resist his madness, you use that chance (as his mind is connected to yours) to attack his very mind and weaken him.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Gara'Jal in Mogu'Shan Vaults. "Hey, I gonna summon invisible ghosts in other realm, so the are going to slowly kill you, one by one! Okay, just to be fair with you, here are some totems so you can get into their realm and kill them. Sounds nice?"

The gold medal goes to Norushen encounter tho. Like this guy is standing there, looking at our struggle with the Sha. "Hey, they are doing great! They all passed my tests, purged their corruption, and now they are quite successfully facing the Amalgam of Corruption itself! They are going to destroy it in seconds! Yeah, truly they may be able to vanquish Sha of Pride after all... WAIT! STOP! YOU FOUGHT FOR MORE THAN 7 MINUTES! DIE A HORRIBLE LASERY DEATH, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU!".

Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    I think the meaning of that is a bit different from what the game induces you to think. yogg-saron is showing you a vision of how he manipulated so many chains of events from the shadows, in order to make you give into dispair. when you resist his madness, you use that chance (as his mind is connected to yours) to attack his very mind and weaken him.
    Perhaps,but back in the day we didn't had enough dps to finish the brain in 1 go if i remember correctly.So why didn't he stop with the portals after seeing we overcome his visions and its a danger if he keeps opening them.
    If i was him i would have filled the room with adds slowly while laughing at people attacking me 99% weaker .

What was the point of spoils anyway?

If the mogu/mantid there were hostile then we should just skip it and let garrosh's army suffer losses from it. Same could be said for thok, the guy's eaten tons of soldiers from garrosh and must cost alot of resources to maintain, so just let him be stuck there, it's not like he was blocking the way or anything.

Seriously guys ? why are you ruining it ? if it comes to logic, how can you carry that much stuff in your bags ? mounts included ... ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Fluttershy View Post
    If the mogu/mantid there were hostile then we should just skip it and let garrosh's army suffer losses from it. Same could be said for thok, the guy's eaten tons of soldiers from garrosh and must cost alot of resources to maintain, so just let him be stuck there, it's not like he was blocking the way or anything.
    Remember that you're trying to liberate the Horde from Garrosh and once you defeated Garrosh and freed Orgrimmar, you wouldn't want some gigantic dinosaur or dozens of mantid/mogu running around the city streets, would you?