Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Considering a console. PS4 or Wii U. Thoughtful input?

As someone who's an older gamer (my oldest son is 21), I've played plenty of things at least a little bit going all the way back to when my parents brought home the original Pong. Yeah...nostalgia. I haven't had a console since my wife and I went nuts on the original Nintendo console playing Yoshi's cookies... we still joke about those damn Mexican wedding cookies or whatever they were lining up when it was my turn and her literally screaming at the top of her lungs, "SNOWBALL! SNOWBALL! SNOWBALL!"

Good times...

The kids had a PS2 with a few games, but they were young and we never really got into it. Mostly the grandparents bought them a few games from the bargain bins and they were really young at the time.

Anyway, I've toyed with the idea of getting a console now for a few years.

The wife and I have considered a Wii U for the Wii Fit and Wii Sports and the games we could play on a family night. That has a huge appeal considering that with iPhones and iPads and laptops, there's always a damn screen in people's faces and it's all too easy for the cats to wander off and for us parents to spend the night herding cats instead of having fun with everyone. Sometimes cards, board games and charades are okay, but sometimes it just doesn't cut it.

So, the Wii was a potential fit (no pun intended).

I've also considered the PS4. It would replace the Blu-Ray player which would be nice in that it wouldn't add to the clutter. It would potentially add to if not replace my aging first gen Mac Pro as my gaming platform that has stood strong for seven years. That's phenomenal for a gaming rig and I really got my money's worth. I really only play a few games, so it was perfect for me (I bought it to start an editing business, but health issues ended that before I could start it). Unlike the Wii (that I know of), the PS4 also has games with MMO aspects. There are group play games, be they FPS (I'm not very good at them) to RPG games like Diablo 3 that I enjoy very much and I'm pretty good at them although I've never spent much time adapting to console play so that would take a fair bit of time. I also enjoy sports games and it really doesn't bear repeating that sports games on the Mac are just...lacking...to put it kindly. Plus, the DVD/Blu-Ray allows for the playing of DVD family games like those movie trivia games and those are actually a big hit and the Wii U doesn't have a media input.

So, the PS4 was a potential fit.

Personally, I'm leaning toward AND. Not sure I can afford it (pretty sure it would take a long while in any case), but they don't really overlap. If I have to choose, I'll probably lean toward the PS4 because of the utility and the fact that I would use it as an eventual replacement if my Mac Pro can't play the Warlords of Draenor expac...

As a former network/multimedia engineer who went through the whole platform wars (Windows/Mac) back in the day and as someone who has used everything from DOS 3.3 to a couple Unix variants to Windows to Mac since 6.0.7, I don't understand all of this. Use what works for you. Help others find what fits them. I just don't get the...I dunno...tribalism.

I think I may want to get a console. Maybe two. I'll actually have to bring this to the wife who is anti-console. Some help from the community would be great.

Some good pros and cons for each would be really helpful from those who have experience. I mean, I haven't held a console controller of any kind in years.

Oh, I have a 55" LG LCD 1080p 240Hz monitor with available HDMI inputs. I have 75/35 FiOS and the latest wireless router from Verizon (which most assuredly isn't the "latest" on the market). Not sure what other pertinent info I could give that would make a difference. I am trained and absolutely can tell the difference between 1080p, 1080i, 720p and 720p upconverted (although sometimes with the upconverted 720p, it's close enough that if you haven't seen it native, you'd be hard pressed to tell because the codecs have come so far), but I don't sweat it such that everything has to look perfect or I lose my beans.

I think if you have to put on warpaint to post... prolly shouldn't. I'm too old and all that angst and anger will just make me have to pee... Otherwise, like I said, any help and/or expertise is greatly appreciated.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't buy either right now, both systems have weak libraries right now. The PS4 still doesn't have backwards compatibility right now, so the library of playable games is even smaller. The Wii U has native backwards compatibility so there is that option. Both systems are waiting on new games to really start making the worthwhile. Not that the Xbone is any better. That said, I have a Wii U and Super Mario 3D World was effing awesome.

I'd personally pick PS4 over Wii U, most games that are really fun aren't really single player (with exceptions, obviously). The games you said like Wii sports and Wii fit will get boring incredibly fast is what I've heard from everyone who owns them (They would play them like 1-4 weeks and be bored of them, I liked Wii sports for about 3 weeks before I never opened it again) so if thats your main point to buy them I would really suggest a PS4. The family games really do favor a Wii U however, especially if your family also has children. For better games (singleplayer/online) I would take the PS4.

So pretty much I'd say it depends on how much you value those family evenings you can play the family games, because that is the main benefit the Wii U has over the PS4.

PS: This is all my opinion based on what I've heard from friends/acquaintances and some personal experience. Your choice ofcourse to value it or not, as I'm sure theres people who wholeheartedly disagree with me!

10+ Year Old Account
    I would only consider the PS4, but IMO there are too few games for it, for now.

Edit: on PS3 I loved
    FF (13 etc)
    Heavy rain
    Comet Crash
    Echochrome
    Flower

so I'm waiting for something like that... not really main-stream I think.
    Last edited by Bugg; 2014-01-12 at 04:27 PM.

I'm happy with PC / Wii U, so I get all the Nintendo exclusives like Mario Kart, Zelda etc. For FPS games I just use the PC, since I feel like they are much better suited for PC anyway.
    Last edited by makketota; 2014-01-12 at 04:29 PM.

if you have a pc then hands down get the wiiu.

if not then its a tougher choice.

the wiiu is great for families since nintendo is one of the few game creators who still make really good multiplayer games that involve people actually being in the same room, the off screen function is really good for when other family members need to use the tv (also good for when you need to poop). theres tons of exclusives on nintendo consoles but not much 3rd party support. miiverse is also pretty cool. backwards compatible with the wii as well

playstation has much fewer exclusives but better 3rd party support. its better for solo gamers since theres not many games that you can play co-op/with your family. you get free games with playstation plus if you pay for it and it acts as a bluray player as well. theres no backwards compatability so you cant play ps3 games.

so it really comes down to what matters more.

tldr
    nintendo has more and better exclusives and is great for family time and parties. ps4 is great for solo gaming, doesnt have many exclusives but much better 3rd party support

best setup if you have it or can afford it pc + wiiu or ps4 + wiiu.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

I bought a Wii U about a month ago and couldn't be happier with it. As someone else pointed out, the multli-player aspect alone makes it worth the purchase. My girlfriend (who's not really into consoles) and I play it together quite often, and it's loads of fun.

As far as Wii U vs PS4, it's really comparing apples and oranges. I'm likely to own both and will buy a PS4 sometime later this year, once the library expands a bit. I bought the Wii U because it fills a niche that my PC or PS4 (once I buy it) don't fill. My recommendation would be to buy the Wii U to play with your family and continue to use your MacBook as your gaming machine. You can always add a PS4 in the future if you want to.

I would go with the Wii U. It's backwards compatible with Wii titles and it's starting to get a strong library of titles behind it. If you go for the PS4, I'd hold off for about 6-8 months. Right now there are only about 8 titles for the system and most of those titles are already available on the last gen consoles as well as some on the Wii U.

Deleted
    Wii U all the way

To be honest: i cannot speak for the PS4 ... i never owned a PS. so i'm pretty biased and that's why i will not mention the PS any further, neither in a good nor a bad way.

i got myself a Wii U back in october when the Zelda Bundle released and so far i'm quite happy with it.
    The Nintendo games are still awesome and there are couple of good exclusives. I played:
    Zelda - Wind Waker (still awesome)
    New Super Mario Bros. U (kinda meh)
    Pikmin 3 (fantastic)
    Wonderful 101 (suprisingly and hillariously good)
    ZombiU (so far one of the few games that really makes use of the Gamepad)
    Rayman Legends (multiplat, but because of touch controls best on WiiU)
    Super Mario 3D World (one of the best mario games ever!)
    WiiPartyU (one of the few games that offer a little bit of asymetric gameplay)

And there are few more games coming up that i'm really looking forward to:
    Mario Kart 8
    Super Smash Bros
    Bayonetta 2
    Monolith's X
    Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

Well, for multiplats (except Rayman) i usually turn to my PC, although it is 3 years old it can crank up better graphics than the Wii U (for multiplats at least). The nintendo exclusive games look quite stunning.

Advantages of the WiiU:
    + most nintendo exclusives can be played by 4 players (maybe there will be games that allow 5 players in the near future) on the same screen
    + online play is free, nintendo doesn't charge for its online services
    + the community is friendly, helpful and simply great
    + it is backwards compatible (atm I'm enjoying Xenoblade Chronicles and Zelda: Twilight Princess on my Wii U)
    + best console exclusives (extremely biased ^^)

Disadvanteges:
    - lack of online multiplayer
    - you need alot of controllers (i have the Gamepad, 4 Wii Remote and 2 WiiU Pro controllers) if you want to play different games with 3 other people.

Tough choice, it really depends on what you are into. If you get a Wii U the games you will be playing will almost always be restricted to the console and there are tones of great games out there already though nothings been a huge system seller like pokemon x and y for the 3DS. As for PS4 you'd usually only be missing out on the exclusives so there's that to watch for too.

If your seeking games with better online functionality the PS4 is the way to go, hardly any Wii or Wii U games use multilayer features as it is.

Typically games with a stronger story will also be found on the PS4, i'm a mario and zelda fan but lets face it the story is either non existent or nothing super special.

If you want games that dont have 6 hour campaigns and would rather something longer typically speaking Nintendo games take a lot longer to complete.

Its like comparing a Vita to a 3DS, I have both and could honestly say they are so different neither is better than the other. Both have amazing games, both have amazing unique features and both have a lasting appeal. I think if you can you should get both, or get both eventually. Take a look at the games both offer too, I guess the console with the most released and upcoming games that interest you is your best bet.

Deleted
    I bought a Wii U this week and I must say Im very happy with it. It got some fun games atm and will come a lot of fun games + the eShop have some great games I have missed because the last nintendo console I had was the N64 & wanna replay from NES, SNES & N64 times.

I will get a PS4 later this year too (or next year) because right now there are like no games on PS4. Only one that seems interesting is AC4 but thats it and you can get that on PC too. The only games I really wanna play on PS4 is like MGS5, FF15 & KH3. And all of them will probably come 2015.

And as you have a family Mario 3D world, Mario Kart, Smash Bros and many other games have extremly fun local multiplayer. Wish I had a family for 3D world, cant have friends over 24/7 lol.

and Im extremly tired of FPS games. They are soooo boring its insane (killzone and so on) and I have a PC IF I wanna play them.

But yeah get both if you have the possibility as both consoles have great games. I still need to finish some games on PS3 like the last of us and Dark Souls 2 will come soon + the latest FF game.
    Last edited by mmocbc4c51efd3; 2014-01-12 at 08:53 PM.

Deleted
    playing my wii u far more than my ps4. nothing out or coming out for ps4 for a while.. so its about games. if monster hunter, mario, wonderful 101, pikmin, etc dont interest you then get a ps4.

Wii U. A LOT of great games coming out for it that are unique to the console. Some PS4 games will come to the Wii U. Any of the great games coming for the PS4 this year aren't going to be console exclusives and probably won't be coming until the complete end of this year. The Wii U already has some DAMN good titles.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Get the WiiU if you want mario and zelda for the rest of the consoles life (which will be a long and painful time cos no one third party is touching it) get the PS4 if you want any game that comes out third party and Sony always deliver on exclusives and have pretty much had game of the year every year the newest being the last of us, along with the fact any game that comes to the WiiU that also comes to the PS4 will be far better performance on the PS4. PS4 has over 100 games coming out in 2014, and if you get PSplus you get free games every month, so i cant imagine anyone thinking it has no games, right now i have 10 games and i have beaten 2 so lack of games is false.

If the WiiU was a good games console with a huge library of games like some ppl here are trying to tell you , then it would not have been out sold by the PS4 already (keeping in mind the WiiU had a year of sales and was easily caught up on within 2 months, thats right the PS4 sold faster than the WiiUs year of sales in 2 MONTHS), ppl are steering clear of the WiiU for a reason imo, and that's because its the same thing all year every year "wait for the next mario, wait for the next zelda, wait for the next mario, wait for the next zelda".
    Last edited by Therealmagoo; 2014-01-12 at 09:11 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Therealmagoo View Post
    Get the WiiU if you want mario and zelda for the rest of the consoles life (which will be a long and painful time cos no one third party is touching it) get the PS4 if you want any game that comes out third party and Sony always deliver on exclusives and have pretty much had game of the year every year the newest being the last of us, along with the fact any game that comes to the WiiU that also comes to the PS4 will be far better performance on the PS4. PS4 has over 100 games coming out in 2014, and if you get PSplus you get free games every month, so i cant imagine anyone thinking it has no games, right now i have 10 games and i have beaten 2 so lack of games is false.

If the WiiU was a good games console with a huge library of games like some ppl here are trying to tell you , then it would not have been out sold by the PS4 already, ppl are steering clear of the WiiU for a reason imo, and that's because its the same thing all year every year "wait for the next mario, wait for the next zelda, wait for the next mario, wait for the next zelda".
    20 games or less now and a handful in the future is hardly anything.. its the exact same complaint people had with the wii u. The difference is after 1 year the wii u has some brilliant games.. i cant even think of one game on ps4 id even call essential let alone brilliant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Therealmagoo View Post

If the WiiU was a good games console with a huge library of games like some ppl here are trying to tell you , then it would not have been out sold by the PS4 already (keeping in mind the WiiU had a year of sales and was easily caught up on within 2 months, thats right the PS4 sold faster than the WiiUs year of sales in 2 MONTHS), ppl are steering clear of the WiiU for a reason imo, and that's because its the same thing all year every year "wait for the next mario, wait for the next zelda, wait for the next mario, wait for the next zelda".
    Some of your facts you say are wrong. Anyway you say it have lots of games atm? No. If you count indie games on PSN as really worth getting, I have no idea how many indie games are out on PSN atm for PS4. But I dont see why you should buy a PS4 for indies anyway (some of them have been out for a LONG time on PC, Dont Starve).

Games right now on PS4:
    Knack (lol)
    Killzone (if you like FPS, though I have heard bad things about it)
    FIFA 14
    AC4 (PC)
    BF4 (lol PC, bugs)
    CoD Ghost (facepalm)
    Need For Speed Rivals (ok)
    NBA (?)
    Lego Marvel (out on everything)
    Madden (...)

These are the games you can get from game stores atm.

But anyway as I said PS4 is a great machine but right now it have no games that you need a PS4 right now. Will take a while before the great games come out.
    Wii U have some few great games right now and will come some few great games too. If ppl can Id say get both. But if you dont like "fun games" (lol) dont get a Wii U.

Well it depends what you really want. You have a family so a more family friendly console will be the WiiU. It has better games out for it right now and you can play a lot of old Nintendo games. With that said, if you want a system more for yourself, the PS4 sounds like something you want. The thing about the PS4 is that it will get good games, it just isn't right now. IMO you buy a Nintendo system for Nintendo games. It will get little 3rd party support http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco...eft-the-wii-u/ . I will say this too, the Wii kinda died off towards the end, ESPECIALLY compared to the PS3 and 360 which are still releasing great games. So unless the PS4 totally bombs, it will still see quite a few great games til the next gen (if there is one). If it is possible, get both.

I went for the Wii u for exclusives alone right now. So far I have:

Pikmin 3
    Wonderful 101
    Super mario 3d world
    super mario bros u
    super luigi u
    Nintendo Land
    Rayman Legends ( not exclusive but best version)
    Zombii U
    Sonic Lost world
    The legend of Zelda: The windwaker HD

Got a few more games coming out for it this month too.

This and any Wii games you might have missed out on will give you plenty to be getting on with whilst the PS4 starts to build up a libary, because atm the launch lineup was fairly poor and doesn't look like it will be having mainly exclusives for a while yet worth buying the console for.

How about you do some research and figure out which system you want yourself? All you're going to get from here and any other website is fanboys and morons who are going to impress upon you their opinion which shouldn't even be a factor in what system to buy. If you like Nintendo's brand buy Nintendo, if you like what Sony has to offer buy the PS4, Grow a brain and use it and figure it out yourself.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Wii U is mostly a Nintendo machine so your library is going to be somewhat restricted down the line - Nintendo is having severe developer relations problems.

The Playstations have always been "general purpose" game consoles with a wide variety of titles during their life span. The PS4 should be no exception - and it's off to a very very good start unlike the stuttering launch of the PS3.