Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

New Report from the Census Bureau on our so Called Poor

So it appears that our so called poor people really arent poor according to the US Census Bureau. It seems they have the following:

Clothes washer: 68.7%

Clothes dryer: 65.3%

Dish washer: 44.9%

Refrigerator: 97.8%

Food freezer: 26.2%

Stove: 96.6%

Microwave: 93.2%

Air conditioner: 83.4%

Television: 96.1%

Video recorder/DVD: 83.2%

Computer: 58.2%

Telephone (landline): 54.9%

Cell phone: 80.9%

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/tere...-computers-tvs

This is the bullshit that pisses me off. We are giving free money (welfare, food stamps, WIC, Section 8, etc...) to these people when they already have all this? They are NOT really poor if they have this stuff. Id be happy to hand out welfare to people who dont have the items on this list, but Ill be damned if someone who has a TV, DVR, and air conditioning should get a dime. They call sell that stuff and cancel the cable service before they get a nickle. I mean cmon, 96 FREAKING PERCENT have a TV!!!

Truly poor people who need help typically live in condemned homes with dirt floors or shredded carpet, eat from dumpsters, dont have electricity or running water, and are often sickly from not having healthcare, and THESE are the people we should be helping. Not someone who has AC, cable TV with DVR service, video game systems, and microwaves

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    This is the bullshit that pisses me off. We are giving free money (welfare, food stamps, WIC, Section 8, etc...) to these people when they already have all this? They are NOT really poor if they have this stuff. Id be happy to hand out welfare to people who dont have the items on this list, but Ill be damned if someone who has a TV, DVR, and air conditioning should get a dime. They call sell that stuff and cancel the cable service before they get a nickle. I mean cmon, 96 FREAKING PERCENT have a TV!!!

Truly poor people who need help typically live in condemned homes with dirt floors or shredded carpet, eat from dumpsters, dont have electricity or running water, and are often sickly from not having healthcare, and THESE are the people we should be helping. Not someone who has AC, cable TV with DVR service, video game systems, and microwaves
    I'm floored by such an incredibly horrible thing for you to say. While there is obviously some corruption in the welfare system, not everyone who is poor lives in a condemned home with a dirt floor and eats from a dumpster. I'm just appalled at this ridiculous generalization.

My parents made $1500 a month in social security. That's pretty damn poor. $600 went to rent on their small home that was far from condemned and far from a "dirt floor". They had a TV, though it was not even close to a brand-new model. They had air conditioning (paid for by the JB) as my mother had medical conditions that required it. They had computers (I used to build my dad a new computer every few years), microwave, and other normal, every day conveniences that any family has. And they had food stamps.

Where do you get off thinking that if you're poor you have no right to anything? Your post says that once this poor person has enough welfare to get out of their dirt floor home and get a TV, they should be cut off and sent right back to that dirt floor.

I just have no words.

From what I have seen the poor normally have better consumer items such as electronics than working middle class people.

I used to work for a cable company and accounts would show what apartment complexes they were in, the accounts that shown they were in a public housing project had the higher end packages a lot of the time

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I'm floored by such an incredibly horrible thing for you to say. While there is obviously some corruption in the welfare system, not everyone who is poor lives in a condemned home with a dirt floor and eats from a dumpster. I'm just appalled at this ridiculous generalization.

My parents made $1500 a month in social security. That's pretty damn poor. $600 went to rent on their small home that was far from condemned and far from a "dirt floor". They had a TV, though it was not even close to a brand-new model. They had air conditioning (paid for by the JB) as my mother had medical conditions that required it. They had computers (I used to build my dad a new computer every few years), microwave, and other normal, every day conveniences that any family has. And they had food stamps.

Where do you get off thinking that if you're poor you have no right to anything? Your post says that once this poor person has enough welfare to get out of their dirt floor home and get a TV, they should be cut off and sent right back to that dirt floor.

I just have no words.
    What IM saying is if they have the money to pay for a TV, and the cable service and DVR that goes with it as well as having the money to pay for AC and the electric to run it, then they arent pooor. The money they spend on that stuff should be used on rent and food instead. IF they have no non-essentials left, and are still poor, then and only then should they receive help from the government. And no people dont have a right to anything that they arent paying for themselves with money they earned through the fruits of their labor. Money that we give them as taxpayers we should have a say in how every nickle is spent since we are the ones being forced to give it.

Obviously if someone is disabled to the point they cant work, then they should be helped. But IM talking about TRUE disabilities. Not these people that scam SSI to get money because they claim they cant work because off ADD, BiPolar, depression, or OCD. Those are BS.
    Last edited by Orlong; 2014-01-12 at 05:56 PM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    thats still poor f u c k w a d. just because they have some basic amenities doesnt stop them from being poor u c u n t m u n c h i n g a s s h o l e. u are a disgrace of a human being and should just kill urself

and u fuckwads wonder why no one likes u

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2014-01-12 at 05:56 PM.

OP is horribly biased. Did you even consider they would use things like a cellphone or washer so that they could move up in the world? (clean clothes - better job, cellphone = make contacts to form relationships and job opportunities). Not to mention a computer is just about necessary in the job world today. It's also amazing you think people living in poverty shouldn't have a fridge...I mean come on...you'd love for them to be some third world group of people.

10+ Year Old Account
    What IM saying is if they have the money to pay for a TV, and the cable service and DVR that goes with it as well as having the money to pay for AC and the electric to run it, then they arent pooor. The money they spend on that stuff should be used on rent and food instead. IF they have no non-essentials left, and are still poor, then and only then should they receive help from the government.
    Except you don't decide who is poor. There is going to be those that abuse the system but it doesn't mean you gut the whole welfare system because of a few bad apples. Doing so is silly and unfair to those that truly need it.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

This is the most laughably forced attempt at outrage I have seen on here in quite some time.

so because someone is poor they arent entitled to entertainment?

tv, dvrs, and computers are all very cheap these days and unless you are getting all the channels and all the extras and whatnot cable and internet arent expensive either.

poor doesnt mean you are a fucking caveman living in a shed
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    OP is horribly biased. Did you even consider they would use things like a cellphone or washer so that they could move up in the world? (clean clothes - better job, cellphone = make contacts to form relationships and job opportunities). Not to mention a computer is just about necessary in the job world today. It's also amazing you think people living in poverty shouldn't have a fridge...I mean come on...you'd love for them to be some third world group of people.
    I didnt mention the fridge in my post. Obviously that is pretty much a necessity these days. But they dont need a washer and dryer. They can use the laundromat or a friends. They can use a computer in a public library for free, they dont need to own one as well as pay for internet service

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    In addition to that, don't forget some people end up in poverty from the middle class. Should they toss out their TV's, AC, phones, fridge, and move to a dirt-home in order to receive welfare to get back on their feet?

I didnt mention the fridge in my post. Obviously that is pretty much a necessity these days. But they dont need a washer and dryer. They can use the laundromat or a friends. They can use a computer in a public library for free, they dont need to own one as well as pay for internet service
    I don't disagree that some people think that every luxury is something they should have - like cable TV.

Could it perhaps be that the cost of appliances and electronics has dropped relative to household income due to increased availability of second hand units while the cost of food has remained stable, allowing those who can't afford to feed themselves to at least enjoy an increased standard of living?

Also, if you want these people to eventually support themselves guess what? It's not the nineteenth century anymore.

Without clean clothes a full stomach and access to the internet you don't have a snowballs chance in hell of getting a job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Except you don't decide who is poor. There is going to be those that abuse the system but it doesn't mean you gut the whole welfare system because of a few bad apples. Doing so is silly and unfair to those that truly need it.
    SOME abuse they system? Id say 96% is more than some. Everyone so called person that has a TV should be forced to sell it before they get welfare. If I dont get to decide who is poor, then I should get to decide whether or not they deserve my tax money.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    outraged? By what? The fact that people can cook the tiny amount they get?

Stay in America please.

So it appears that our so called poor people really arent poor according to the US Census Bureau. It seems they have the following:

Clothes washer: 68.7%

Clothes dryer: 65.3%

Dish washer: 44.9%

Refrigerator: 97.8%

Food freezer: 26.2%

Stove: 96.6%

Microwave: 93.2%

Air conditioner: 83.4%

Television: 96.1%

Video recorder/DVD: 83.2%

Computer: 58.2%

Telephone (landline): 54.9%

Cell phone: 80.9%

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/tere...-computers-tvs

1)cloth washer, cloth dryer, dish washer, refrigerator comes with the house you rent. It just does. You do not buy it. Other than refrigerator, you don't use the other stuff because of cost of electricity. In my old house, we used them for storage. same for food freezer and stove. They come included in most houses now.
    2)Microwave is necessity. How do you think people would cook food?
    3)Cell phone is gov't phone.
    4)Home phone is a necessity. They are cheap, you can even get second hand.
    5)Only half have computer. again second hand. My first one was from the road, someone threw out. I took it from the curve and used it till I could afford a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    In addition to that, don't forget some people end up in poverty from the middle class. Should they toss out their TV's, AC, phones, fridge, and move to a dirt-home in order to receive welfare to get back on their feet?

I don't disagree that some people think that every luxury is something they should have - like cable TV.
    That's a great point that I didn't realize

All the things are dirt cheap if you buy them used ...

And claiming somone aint poor if they have a stove ? ......

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    so because someone is poor they arent entitled to entertainment?

tv, dvrs, and computers are all very cheap these days and unless you are getting all the channels and all the extras and whatnot cable and internet arent expensive either.

poor doesnt mean you are a fucking caveman living in a shed
    Basic cable with a DVR service is over $50 in most places. Its $80 where IM at. The DVR itself is $15 a month. Thats NOT inexpensive. If they get bored from having no entertainment, then maybe they will get up off their ass, get another job and entertain themselves by working

SOME abuse they system? Id say 96% is more than some. Everyone so called person that has a TV should be forced to sell it before they get welfare. If I dont get to decide who is poor, then I should get to decide whether or not they deserve my tax money.
    You are only paying part of the money. You alone are insignificant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure that number is inaccurate. 96% my ass. It isn't just your tax money. It's everyone's. Your money already went out. If you want to qq about that. Let's talk about all that military bullshit out in the Middle East if you want to talk about YOUR tax dollars. Selfish.....
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi